Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Belle and Sebastian on a boat

Started by king_tubby, December 05, 2018, 11:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

popcorn

I think that sounds like quite good fun.

Wouldn't do it.

But sounds quite good fun.

king_tubby

It'll be cancelled last minute due to poor sales, but they will be assuring people that it's going ahead right until the day before.

Then it'll be a cunt to get your money back and Stuart Murdoch will release an instagram of him and Barry Hogan rolling around in a bed of tenners.

thraxx

It's a lovely idea, but £1800 quid to see Camera Obscura as 4th on the list is a bit steep when you have to pay to get there and for your booze and decent food.

kngen

Christ, it's the 13th Note at sea! Hope there's better food on offer than a dried veggie burger served by a grumpy lesbian.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thraxx on December 05, 2018, 12:25:51 PM
It's a lovely idea, but £1800 quid to see Camera Obscura as 4th on the list is a bit steep when you have to pay to get there and for your booze and decent food.

If it was a full week with bands on each night and free prostitutes then I'd think about going (at least if I had the money like some crazy well off person) but a weekend is taking the piss.

jobotic

Lovely. Will Sir Philip Green and the Turkmenistan government be there too?

Pranet

I'm on their their mailing list and I was surprised when I got the email announcing this. The fees alone are £145 per person ffs. I suppose they only need about 2000 extremely wealthy fans to make it worthwhile, which they may have.

Pranet

Still, you can spread the cost in order to make it more affordable. A two person interior cabin can be yours for 7 easy monthly payments of £321.14.

I did this 20 years ago on a Royal Navy ship and they PAID me to do it! OK I was listening to those bands on my personal CD player and the food was pretty shit but I imagine the experience was similar.

Neomod

Belle and Sebastian really are more spiritually suited to a wet Wednesday night at the youth club rather than this cosmopolitan life-on-the-ocean-wave malarkey. I say that as a fan.

Isn't this sort of thing popular in the states, albeit for your middle of the road ageing rock band types with an aged moneyed fanbase?

king_tubby

From the FAQs:

QuoteALL DEPOSITS AND PAYMENTS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch this one with yours, mate.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: king_tubby on December 05, 2018, 03:53:07 PM
From the FAQs:

Yeah, I wouldn't touch this one with yours a barge pole, mate.

Looks good... if you're a big girl's blouse with more pence than sense.

mojo filters

I've noticed at every UK Belle & Sebastian gig since touring Write About Love, they tend to attract a surprisingly broad demographic. In addition at circa 2000cap local seated venues, they've all sold out pretty fast - though to be fair their ticket prices are always relatively low, compared with other acts with similar profiles.

I've been surprised to find myself sat near the front amongst folks who overwhelmingly seemed to be in their 50s or 60s. Furthermore they neither seemed to know the songs, nor show any expression of affection for the music aside from polite clapping.

At the last gig I attended, I was first on stage by a few minutes for the obligatory Arab Strap dancing - as the younger indie types slowly extracted themselves from the cheap seats right at the back and up on the balcony.

For the first song of the encore Stuart Murdoch engaged in some crowd banter, asking what song they should play next? After a few obvious shouts for material mainly from Sinister (of which no songs were played unusually) the noise died down, so for a laugh I said "Jonathan David" more in aspiration than with any realistic expectation.

To my surprise Stuart Murdoch replied with an enthusiastic "Yes, well done!" and the grandmotherly woman sitting next to me leaned over, patted my arm and asked politely "Have you won a prize? Do you know what it is?" with what appeared to be complete sincerity.

I didn't have the heart to attempt to explain to an elderly woman that hearing the only Stevie Jackson song to have a solid place in my all time B&S top ten, was more than enough reward in and of itself (they've not played that locally for many years) plus it made up for the earlier lame, vibe killing rendition of the already lame Little Lou duet - which they didn't even bother with on the Write About Love tour!

So whilst I was surprised when the mailing about the boaty event plus prices came through, I can see a potential demographic who seem well off enough to splash out on some kind of upmarket festival.

Sadly it just doesn't seem like an event in the same spirit of the original weekender, and even if I could afford it I'd be suspicious of the crowd that might turn up.

On the other hand I don't begrudge the band attempting to earn a living. A few years ago I was writing a review and caught Sarah Martin backstage for a chat. I don't know if she was just having a bad night, but I got nothing usable or fit for my copy - she mainly complained about some money related issues, plus her husband who I think is now divorced.

popcorn

Quote from: mojo filters on December 06, 2018, 03:24:02 AM
I've been surprised to find myself sat near the front amongst folks who overwhelmingly seemed to be in their 50s or 60s.

Yes, to my amazement my mum and dad, who are both ten thousand years old, went to see Belle and Sebastian a few months ago. They seem to be hitting that demographic somehow.

king_tubby

They have been going for 20+ years though. I mean, I went to the Bowlie and I'm 44.

Neomod

I've been surprised to find myself sat near the front amongst folks who overwhelmingly seemed to be in their 50s or 60s. Furthermore they neither seemed to know the songs, nor show any expression of affection for the music aside from polite clapping.

Stuart M is himself 50 so it's not really a stretch to have fans in their 50's/60's.

You've also got to factor in the 'partner' factor. I've dragged my g/f to loads of gigs, including Belle and Sebastian where she knew nothing of the band. She did think Murdoch was a bit creepy though during The Boy With The Arab Strap.

Icehaven

Quote from: king_tubby on December 05, 2018, 03:53:07 PM
From the FAQs:

QuoteALL DEPOSITS AND PAYMENTS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch this one with yours, mate.

Is that actually legal? Surely if an event is cancelled there's an obligation to refund tickets, you can't simply say no refunds or there'd be an entire industry of unscrupulous 'organisers' raking in cash for events that were never going to happen. Beyoncé's playing in my garden next Saturday, £50 a ticket, no refunds though.

king_tubby

Well exactly, icehaven.

I don't know if you're aware of how close B&S/Mogwai associate Barry Hogan's ATP festivals ended, but basically that.

Icehaven

Quote from: king_tubby on December 06, 2018, 10:25:42 AM
Well exactly, icehaven.

I don't know if you're aware of how close B&S/Mogwai associate Barry Hogan's ATP festivals ended, but basically that.

Yeah I remember reading about that on here and elsewhere. It's one thing to have to admit/pretend you can't refund because the money's gone up in smoke already but I'd be amazed if all you had to do to legally remove the obligation was stick ''no refunds'' in the small print at point of sale. And again it'd be bad enough for gigs at average prices (whatever that is these days) but if someone's dropped over a grand they're going to be even less thrilled if they're told they're not getting it back. 

SteveDave

Well exactly, icehaven.

It's being run by Harry Bogan. Perfectly legit. Too legit in fact.

Pranet

Sadly it just doesn't seem like an event in the same spirit of the original weekender, and even if I could afford it I'd be suspicious of the crowd that might turn up.

I was thinking that- sometimes as it is at normal festivals (well, End of the Road anyway) I feel like I'm the only person there who didn't go to public school. What sort of cunts will be going to this?

Captain Crunch

It's really sweet the way they let that little deaf boy do the singing.

Anyway, this has been working for KISS for years, didn't they invent it? 

http://www.thekisskruise.com/

buzby

Well exactly, icehaven.

Arrrr, it be international waters - law of the high seas, Jimlad!

Quote from: SteveDave on December 06, 2018, 10:43:41 AM
It's being run by Harry Bogan. Perfectly legit. Too legit in fact.
It's run by Sixthman Festivals, the US company who do the KISS cruises and all the others. The lineup and the Barcelona start point does suggest BH's involvement somewhere along the line though.

You've heard of Elf on the Shelf, here's Twee on the Sea.

Stuart Braithwaite has been seen to say Hogan is nowhere near this though. I must admit, even if I had the money and time, I'd still be deeply suspicious that this would sell enough tickets for the thing to actually go ahead.

I must admit that I am absolutely in love with the idea that the 3 person romance suite is sold out though.

king_tubby

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on December 06, 2018, 01:54:45 PM
Stuart Braithwaite has been seen to say Hogan is nowhere near this though.

Yes, well he would say that, wouldn't he?

purlieu

Quote from: Neomod on December 05, 2018, 03:45:44 PM
Belle and Sebastian really are more spiritually suited to a wet Wednesday night at the youth club rather than this cosmopolitan life-on-the-ocean-wave malarkey. I say that as a fan.
They certainly were at one point, but these days they're still aiming for 'multicoloured '70s pop', aren't they (I haven't heard those three EPs from earlier in the year)?

I still have a lot of love for the shy, shambling B&S of the '90s but seem to like them less and less with everything they do. Stuart M came across as a bit of a prick in some of the official site's Q&As a while ago and that began to put me off him.

As for this boat thing: an extortionately priced music festival on a boat which will be attended by rich fans only and no refunds? No thanks.