Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:02:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas TV schedules

Started by dr beat, December 05, 2018, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Having read the Dr Who thread thought it might be an idea to have a separate one.

So is there anything decent on anywhere?

Alberon

JesusAndYourBush

Let's repost this here, since it's relevant to the thread.

Quote from: Deanjam on December 04, 2018, 09:11:21 PM
As boring and lifeless as this series has been, I'm gonna miss Doctor Who on Christmas Day.

Here's New Year's Day if you ain't seen it.

Golden E. Pump

I didn't realise this was the desolation thread. Christ(mas), that's awful.

gilbertharding

BBC2 0830h 'They Flew to Bruges' (1946)

Deanjam

itv on Christmas day.

Quote6.00am  Make it Pop
       6.20am  Mr Bean : The Animated Series   
       6.35am  Mr Bean : The Animated Series 
       6.50am  Scooby-Doo! : Haunted Holidays
        7.15am  Horrid Henry
       7.30am   Scrambled!
        7.35am  The Tom and Jerry Show
        7.50am  The Powerpuff Girls
        8.10am  Teen Titans Go!
        8.30am  Be Cool, Scooby-Doo Mystery 101
        9.05am  Wishfart
        9.25am  Judge Rinder's Christmas Kids Court
      10.20am  Film : Jack Frost (1998)
       12.15pm  Countrywise
        1.00pm  Doc Martin
        3.00pm  HM the Queen
         3.10pm  A Christmas Chase : A Celebrity Special
         4.10pm  Film : Monsters Inc (2001)
         5.55pm  Paul O'Grady for the Love of Dogs
         6.55pm  ITV Evening News
          7.15pm  Emmerdale
         8.15pm  Coronation Street
         9.15pm  Torvill and Dean
       11.00pm  ITV News
       11.30pm  Film : Bridget Jones' Diary (2001)
         1.20am  Tenable
         2.10am  ITV Nightscreen
         5.05am  The Jeremy Kyle Show

Today I learned there's a show called Wishfart.

Deanjam

BBC 1 are doing an adaptation of The ABC Murders on Boxing Day which has my interest as I'm a big Agatha Christie fan, but no doubt will be shit like most of the recent attempts at her. It stars John Malkovich doing an accent as Poirot.

Here's a clip.

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/1069991733616889856

Alberon

So what's on BBC 2 and Channel 4?

ITV's lineup is something else. It starts off like a standard Saturday morning, looks like it might be building up to something slightly festive through the afternoon toward 6pm and then just decides to fuck the whole thing off for a normal Tuesday night's telly.

Babestation has now been demoted to second most depressing Christmas Day programming. At least the dead eyed, puffy lipped women with no family to celebrate with so why not make a few extra quid, eh? will be wearing Christmas hats and that more than you can say for Torvill & ruddy Dean.

kaprisky

If the Skripals are not delivering Channel 4's Alternative Christmas Message then I will serve up Novichok for Boxing Day lunch.

Deanjam

Quote from: Alberon on December 05, 2018, 04:36:28 PM
So what's on BBC 2 and Channel 4?

Haven't seen them, so don't think they're out yet.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Deanjam on December 05, 2018, 05:02:26 PM
Haven't seen them, so don't think they're out yet.

As usual, Channel 4 is showing nothing of note whatsoever. There's some promising stuff on the BBC, though. Apart from Doctor Who and the aforementioned ABC Murders, we have...

20th

BBC4: Mark Kermode's Christmas Cinema Secrets

22nd

BBC1: Watership Down (new adaptation)

Christmas Eve

BBC4: The Dead Room (ghost story written by yer Gatiss)

Boxing Day

BBC2: Ken Dodd: How Tickled We Were (documentary)

28th

BBC2: Billy Connolly: Made in Scotland (two-part documentary)

30th

BBC1: Les Miserables (new adaptation)

Hogmanay

BBC2: Raymond Briggs: Snowmen, Bogeymen & Milkmen (documentary)

New Year's Day

BBC1: Luther

Currently unplaced are...

BBC1: Click & Collect (one-off comedy starring Stephen Merchant and Asim Chaudhry)

BBC2: Frankie Boyle's New World Order

BBC2: Goodness Gracious Me: 20 Years, Innit! (documentary)

BBC2: Happy New Year, Colin Burstead (standalone comedy drama from Ben Wheatley)

BBC2: The Morecambe & Wise Show: The Lost Tapes (two full episodes which haven't been seen since 1968)

BBC1: Not Going Out Live Special

BBC1: Would I Lie to You at Christmas?

BBC2: A Year in the Life of a Year, 2018 (Rhys Thomas with his annual clip show spoof)

mothman

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 05, 2018, 04:57:48 PM
Babestation has now been demoted to second most depressing Christmas Day programming. At least the dead eyed, puffy lipped women with no family to celebrate with so why not make a few extra quid, eh? will be wearing Christmas hats and that more than you can say for Torvill & ruddy Dean.

Definitely going to tune in to check it out, now.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There's a new " Luther " ? Get in !

Cuellar

Oh that Gatiss thing sounds good. Well, I know nothing about it beyond the title and that it's a ghost story, but still. Sounds good.

Sebastian Cobb

I saw an advert for the adaptation of Watership Down, it looked shite.

Just a note that (spam) will be doing some classic tv programming over the nights of the 22nd and 23rd of December. The weekend beofre Christmas. Line up to be announced soon.

mothman

That line-up is so awful, but I don't think it comes close to the nadir that was the 1993 BBC Christmas promo (recorded here following a Who episode, appropriately enough given this thread's own genesis):

https://youtu.be/DTcVpT0GQ1Y

St_Eddie

Captain Z

Those parody listings are fairly amusing and almost believable, but can someone post the real schedules please?

Sorry Monkeys

Quote from: Deanjam on December 05, 2018, 04:27:09 PM
itv on Christmas day.

Today I learned there's a show called Wishfart.

I am going to watch Wishfart on christmas day if it's the last thing I do

Small Man Big Horse

The live action Jungle Book remake is actually a lot of fun and features Christopher Walken singing, so it's worth watching for that reason alone.

I actually think our BBC overlords are actually showing some decent stuff over Christmas, actually. Rare Eric and Ern? A Ken Dodd documentary? Kermode waxing lyrical about Christmas films? A profile of Raymond Briggs?

Right up our street, I would've actually thought.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 06, 2018, 01:10:47 AM
I actually think our BBC overlords are actually showing some decent stuff over Christmas, actually...

...Right up our street, I would've actually thought.

Actually though?  As in actually actually?  I might just be sold, actually actually aaaahhhhhhctually.

It all comes down to love, actually.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 05, 2018, 04:57:48 PM
Babestation has now been demoted to second most depressing Christmas Day programming.

I saw the anachronism that is Babestation for the first time this year, on getting a Freeview TV.  What a bizarre station.  Surely it should have become obsolete in the early 2000's?  During commercial breaks I find myself flicking over and watching a few minutes, it's so bizarre.  Every now and then they turn the microphone on.  They look ok but once they open their mouths it just ruins it.  And every single time they switch the mic on they deliver the same script with barely a variation.  I imagine if you paid to actually call them that'd be scripted too.  And they keep wiggling their phones back and forth in a weird way, and then there's the various jiggling motions that become really unsexy once the repetition sets in. And it's all framed carefully to just show boobs and nothing too explicit downstairs.  Internet, mate.

Norton Canes

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 06, 2018, 12:49:33 AM
It's been made less scary and violent for a new generation of kiddies.

Watership Down?  More like Watered Down Shit!

But the novel isn't actually that violent or scary - it reads more like an adventure story full of comradely war-time derring-do. I mean the scope is certainly there to make it much more savage and brutal, as the 1978 film proved. Yes, the rabbits who don't heed Fiver's warning and flee the Down are exterminated; and the climactic scenes include a vicious confrontation with General Woundwort. But it wouldn't be a betrayal of the original text if the whole thing was presented as an exciting action film rather than a harrowing gore-fest.   

Captain Crunch

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 06, 2018, 02:28:09 AM
I saw the anachronism that is Babestation for the first time this year, on getting a Freeview TV.  What a bizarre station.  Surely it should have become obsolete in the early 2000's?  During commercial breaks I find myself flicking over and watching a few minutes, it's so bizarre.  Every now and then they turn the microphone on.  They look ok but once they open their mouths it just ruins it.  And every single time they switch the mic on they deliver the same script with barely a variation.  I imagine if you paid to actually call them that'd be scripted too.  And they keep wiggling their phones back and forth in a weird way, and then there's the various jiggling motions that become really unsexy once the repetition sets in. And it's all framed carefully to just show boobs and nothing too explicit downstairs.  Internet, mate.

There's a couple of people who have recorded their calls and posted them on youtube, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZRZUnSQG30 and the comedian Paul Chowdhry also did one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUe4V0A44w

Captain Crunch

Talking pictures:

Tue 25 Dec 18    6:00    Good Morning, Boys, 1937
Tue 25 Dec 18    7:35    Christmas In Britain    
Tue 25 Dec 18    7:45    Waterloo Road, 1944
Tue 25 Dec 18    9:20    The Ugly Duckling, 1959
Tue 25 Dec 18    11:00    Starlight Night, 1939
Tue 25 Dec 18    11:15    Bulldog Breed, 1960
Tue 25 Dec 18    13:15    BFI: Terminus, 1961
Tue 25 Dec 18    13:50    Scrooge: A Christmas Carol, 1951
Tue 25 Dec 18    15:35    Ring of Brightwater, 1969
Tue 25 Dec 18    17:40    Oliver Twist, 1948