Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:58:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas TV schedules

Started by dr beat, December 05, 2018, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

I hope Call The Midwife is any good. I didn't enjoy the last series as much as the previous ones. Losing the lesbian couple was a big blow.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 06, 2018, 12:06:58 PM
But the novel isn't actually that violent or scary - it reads more like an adventure story full of comradely war-time derring-do. I mean the scope is certainly there to make it much more savage and brutal, as the 1978 film proved. Yes, the rabbits who don't heed Fiver's warning and flee the Down are exterminated; and the climactic scenes include a vicious confrontation with General Woundwort. But it wouldn't be a betrayal of the original text if the whole thing was presented as an exciting action film rather than a harrowing gore-fest.   

That's fair enough but given that it's an animated adaptation, I think that it's fair game to draw comparisons to the original animated adaptation.  Watching that film was a rite of passage for many kids, myself included, like dipping your toe into the cruel reality of nature and preparing us for some of the horribleness of the world, which awaited us in adulthood.

I've not read the novel and I don't doubt your description of it but I don't like the fact that they've purposefully made this latest adaptation less harrowing than the original adaptation, seemingly because they daren't potentially upset a kid with a preview of the darkness that's out there, in terms of how nature can be red in tooth and claw.  God forbid!  I mean I know that the social and political allegories will still be there but let's face it, those elements are only going to be appreciated by the adults watching.  It's likely to fly right over the heads of the children.

Ultimately, I'd wager good money that this new adaptation is being made because of the original adaptation and its influence, not because of the classic novel.  I think that introducing a little fear and nastiness to kids, in a safe manner and environment, is a healthy thing to do.  Wrapping them in cotton wool is hardly preparing them for the adult world.  Then again, perhaps I'm just sore because it seems like a missed sadistic opportunity to put the shits up a new generation of ankle biters.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 06, 2018, 12:51:02 PM
There's a couple of people who have recorded their calls and posted them on youtube, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZRZUnSQG30 and the comedian Paul Chowdhry also did one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUe4V0A44w

The non-comedian was a LOT funnier than the "comedian".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 06, 2018, 04:17:12 PM
That's fair enough but given that it's an animated adaptation, I think that it's fair game to draw comparisons to the original animated adaptation.  Watching that film was a rite of passage for many kids, myself included, like dipping your toe into the cruel reality of nature and preparing us for some of the horribleness of the world, which awaited us in adulthood.

I've not read the novel and I don't doubt your description of it but I don't like the fact that they've purposefully made this latest adaptation less harrowing than the original adaptation, seemingly because they daren't potentially upset a kid with a preview of the darkness that's out there, in terms of how nature can be red in tooth and claw.  God forbid!  I mean I know that the social and political allegories will still be there but let's face it, those elements are only going to be appreciated by the adults watching.  It's likely to fly right over the heads of the children.

Ultimately, I'd wager good money that this new adaptation is being made because of the original adaptation and its influence, not because of the classic novel.  I think that introducing a little fear and nastiness to kids, in a safe manner and environment, is a healthy thing to do.  Wrapping them in cotton wool is hardly preparing them for the adult world.  Then again, perhaps I'm just sore because it seems like a missed sadistic opportunity to put the shits up a new generation of ankle biters.

Channel 5 have form for showing it at Easter and getting loads of complaints from thick parents.
https://metro.co.uk/2017/04/16/channel-5-showed-watership-down-on-easter-sunday-and-its-scarred-viewers-for-life-6578101/

Personally I don't see the point in showing your kids Watership Down if it's not going to shit them up.

greencalx

I know people have been moaning about Christmas TV schedules for at least as long as I've been alive, but the pickings look unusually slim this year. What gives?

mothman

Uncle TechTip

It's wrong straightway with Breakfast opening the day. Who wants to watch live reports from an airport or some dull story about people working on Christmas Day? Just put some classic cartoons on.

greencalx

Yeah the news on Christmas Day is always pointless. Archbishop conducts church service. That sort of thing. Unless it's 1989, in which case, it's allowed.

BritishHobo

Have we figured out yet whether the Outnumbered is a new special or a sneaky repeat?

Deanjam

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 08, 2018, 06:18:34 PM
Have we figured out yet whether the Outnumbered is a new special or a sneaky repeat?

Pretty sure it's a repeat.

Edit - Here you go. Do you believe Tom Spilsbury?

MuteBanana

Quote from: Deanjam on December 08, 2018, 06:28:17 PM
Pretty sure it's a repeat.

Edit - Here you go. Do you believe Tom Spilsbury?

Good. For the best.

Thing about morning telly isn't new. I remember 20 years ago it being dull as fuck and a nightmare to find anything that wasn't churchy, tedious sentimental festive bollocks or regular cartoons.  How is Monsters Inc the Christmas Day film for ITV? Do these people have any imagination?

Edit - I get all my TV scheduling updates from Splisy and Spilsy alone.

BritishHobo

I suppose it's not exactly a primetime slot, ten to eleven.

greencalx

Yeah, it was never going to be a new ep at 10.50.

olliebean

FWIW, in addition to Doctor Who, New Year's Day has the original, presumably superior (I haven't seen the new one) version of The Jungle Book.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: greencalx on December 08, 2018, 06:06:28 PM
Unless it's 1989, in which case, it's allowed.

What happened in 1989?  All Google can come up with after my hasty search is Ceausescu shot by firing squad, that's not very Christmassy!

notjosh

Quote from: olliebean on December 08, 2018, 10:08:06 PM
FWIW, in addition to Doctor Who, New Year's Day has the original, presumably superior (I haven't seen the new one) version of The Jungle Book.

The new adaptation is actually superior in some ways and is closer to the wild feel of the books than the 1967 film, which was pretty much just a rag-tag assortment of enjoyable animal musical numbers. The kid who plays Mowgli is great too.

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 09, 2018, 01:37:40 AM
What happened in 1989? 

The BBC did a good production of Tom's Midnight Garden?

olliebean

Quote from: notjosh on December 09, 2018, 08:32:24 AMthe 1967 film, which was pretty much just a rag-tag assortment of enjoyable animal musical numbers.

Not seeing a problem with that.

greencalx

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 09, 2018, 01:37:40 AM
What happened in 1989?  All Google can come up with after my hasty search is Ceausescu shot by firing squad, that's not very Christmassy!

That's what I was thinking of. Not for its Christmas credentials, but its news credentials. (Ie something other than "pope says something about baby Jesus" news items)

notjosh

Even the Radio Times front cover is showing repeats this year.

bomb_dog

Cover price has gone up £2.10 in SIX YEARS. No wonder print is dead.

mothman

£4.90? Fuck. But hopefully it means C4 are giving primacy to the proper Snowman again and sidelining that Snowdog bollocks.

Uncle TechTip

It might just be because they are giving away a book. Though there is a profile of Raymond Briggs on, maybe they'd use this as justification if anyone asks.

Radio Times was privatised some years back.

Bennett Brauer

Does it include Andrew Collins saying a film is "hugely enjoyable"?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 11, 2018, 12:56:44 AM
It might just be because they are giving away a book. Though there is a profile of Raymond Briggs on, maybe they'd use this as justification if anyone asks.

Radio Times was privatised some years back.

Book worth a  penny shy of 8 quid, mate. They make no bones about telling you that.

Chriddof

Re: 1989 - I would have chosen 1991 as a more Christmas-newsworthy year, seeing as the Soviet Union was officially dissolved that Boxing Day.

Attila

The only thing I'm interested in now is the reindeer arses slow ride thing. Otherwise, keep the damned television off for once and let me have at least one day a year with the bloody thing switched on. I would kill to have one evening meal with that fucking box blaring away at me, ugh,

Used to be keen on the TotP Christmas songs one, where it was just an hour of Christmas pop tunes, but in the past couple of years it's just been acts that have been on Christman TotP. Maybe 5 same old same old xmas rock/pop novelties. Sat through it last year and they didn't even include Shakin' Stevens. Bah.

(The last really fun one was a few years back when they debuted the missing, believed wiped, footage of David Bowie and 'Jean Genie' in the middle of the mad stuff like Bob Dylan's Must be Santa and Annie Lennox's fever dream of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen).

Replies From View

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 11, 2018, 02:17:31 AM
Does it include Andrew Collins saying a film is "hugely enjoyable"?

Almost.  Derek Winnert.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: notjosh on December 09, 2018, 08:32:24 AM
The new adaptation is actually superior in some ways and is closer to the wild feel of the books than the 1967 film, which was pretty much just a rag-tag assortment of enjoyable animal musical numbers. The kid who plays Mowgli is great too.

I was about to say that, I went to see Disney's version The Jungle Book when it was rereleased at the cinema back in the 90s and was quite disappointed by it, whereas the new version is much more enjoyable.

mothman

Quote from: Attila on December 11, 2018, 03:07:30 PM
The only thing I'm interested in now is the reindeer arses slow ride thing.

Me too, is it on again this year?