Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas TV schedules

Started by dr beat, December 05, 2018, 12:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Is there any mention in the Christmas RT of the new Partridge series early in the New Year? Maybe a reference to a Partridge feature coming up in the next issue?

BritishHobo

Nope.

Shite-all else in there, either. SHITE-ALL.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bomb_dog on December 10, 2018, 10:07:11 PM
Cover price has gone up £2.10 in SIX YEARS. No wonder print is dead.

Yeah but to be fair, it comes with a book worth £7.99.

(according to a listing on Ebay, with zero bids)

Quote from: mothman on December 10, 2018, 10:29:17 PM
...Snowdog...

The very definition of shite for cunts.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 11, 2018, 08:07:05 PM
Is there any mention in the Christmas RT of the new Partridge series early in the New Year? Maybe a reference to a Partridge feature coming up in the next issue?

You sound like a crack addict, going through cold turkey, only with Alan Partridge in the place of crack.  Crackridge.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 11, 2018, 10:58:02 PM
You sound like a crack addict, going through cold turkey, only with Alan Partridge in the place of crack.  Crackridge.

I'm jonesing.

Late 2018 or early 2019, the BBC said. But what if they've accidentally wiped it?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 11, 2018, 11:38:40 PM
Late 2018 or early 2019, the BBC said. But what if they've accidentally wiped it?

Accidentally wiped it and replaced it with several hundred episodes of Mrs. Brown's Boys.

One of Mark Fisher's arguments in Capitalist Realism (and elsewhere) was that modern culture seems largely unable to come up with anything new or good, merely retreads and pastiche's of the past and we were all stuck in a nowhere zone where time seems to stand still and there's zero forward momentum.  Looking through these listings it's hard to disagree - just the same old shite, I know Christmas isn't a time for radical new experiments with the form but c'mon. It's just a vast empty desert. Even the retrospectives are second rate: Ken Dodd, the Kumars at No.42 ... they've run out of interesting aspects of 20th Century culture to look back on & now we're onto the dregs. What's next, an hour long BBC4 look back at Desmonds?

As a nation we should be ashamed of these listings. (Admittedly lots of old TV was pure shite, but there was always the odd nugget - Reeves & Mortimer on BBC2, maybe some Partridge, an actually amusing mainstream special like the Royal Family or One Foot In The Grave...)

Alternatively, I'm just old.

Attila

Quote from: mothman on December 11, 2018, 06:13:29 PM
Me too, is it on again this year?

I'm not shelling out for the xmas RT, so someone who has needs to address this question, please. It was mesmerising on first watch, all the lights dimmed, watching reindeer arses twitch in the snow, ambient sound off the screen only. If they extended it to an 8 hour broadcast, I'd be all over it.

Never mind! According to this link, it's on next Wednesday, BBCFour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06t3psw

and I'm not home then :( (I've got tickets to see Simon whatsis perform A Christmas Carol which will be lovely, but I also want to see reindeers and that -- figures -- I have only two things I'd like to see over the holiday season entertainment-wise, and they're both at the same time. Thanks, Santa).

mothman

Wednesday 19th? Fuck that. It should be on Christmas Eve like the first time it was on. Every year.

I actually torrented a copy just in case. Never watched it, but good to know it's there if I need it.

Shit Good Nose

RE the RT, I was expecting Morecambe and Wise to be the cover stars again, what with the newly discovered old episodes and that.

I still buy it every chrimbo though, and have done so myself every year since the embargo on the listings for the "other side" was dropped, so it is mainly tradition.  But, last time I checked the others, it is still the only listings mag that doesn't have "TBA" for every other premium slot.

Spoon of Ploff

John Malkovich's accent makes watching Hercule Poirot's The ABC Murders a must this Christmas

example: "I am the kurd"  (I am the code)

Attila

Quote from: mothman on December 12, 2018, 10:27:18 PM
Wednesday 19th? Fuck that. It should be on Christmas Eve like the first time it was on. Every year.

I actually torrented a copy just in case. Never watched it, but good to know it's there if I need it.

Cos I don't actively keep up with TV schedules and that, just found out last night that there is a completely new reindeer arses slow-TV on the BBC this evening!

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-12-23/bbc4-slow-tv-all-aboard-the-great-reindeer-migration-air-date-time-channel/

(Was also delighted to discover last night, again by accident, the BBCFour was running an older TotP Christmas rockers/novelties from 2012 -- must have been one of the last ones that was mostly rock/pop Christmas stuff, and not 'performers who were on a Christmas-time ToTP.)

The original All-Aboard sleighride is on iPlayer, but I got Mr Attila to record it last week; so anyone who would like four peaceful hours of reindeer hinders, there's a lovely line up for your televisual pleasure.

Sorry Monkeys

Quote from: Sorry Monkeys on December 06, 2018, 12:56:01 AM
I am going to watch Wishfart on christmas day if it's the last thing I do

Well, Wishfart was everything I'd hoped for, and more.

(It wasn't)

mothman

Quote from: Attila on December 24, 2018, 10:05:07 AM
Cos I don't actively keep up with TV schedules and that, just found out last night that there is a completely new reindeer arses slow-TV on the BBC this evening!

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-12-23/bbc4-slow-tv-all-aboard-the-great-reindeer-migration-air-date-time-channel/

(Was also delighted to discover last night, again by accident, the BBCFour was running an older TotP Christmas rockers/novelties from 2012 -- must have been one of the last ones that was mostly rock/pop Christmas stuff, and not 'performers who were on a Christmas-time ToTP.)

The original All-Aboard sleighride is on iPlayer, but I got Mr Attila to record it last week; so anyone who would like four peaceful hours of reindeer hinders, there's a lovely line up for your televisual pleasure.

The Reindeer Migration one was interesting though maybe not quite as completely chill-out as Sleigh Ride, but it was relaxing anyway.

Last night they did a repeat of the TOTP 2015 special. They memorialised those who'd died that year - Cilla, and Val Doonican. I just kept thinking, they have NO idea what's about to hit them in 2016....

That Morecambe & Wise episode was best left lost tbh. That god awful Irish sketch felt like it would never fucking end.

Emma Raducanu

I watched father Christmas followed by the snowman. That's it. And I feel asleep while doing that. TV is shit. Wish we never had one.

Phil_A

As if to underline how feeble and half-arsed the Christmas TV schedules have been this year, the most watched programme was apparently the bloody Queen!

And that only got 6.4 mil, which is fairly dismal.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Quote on December 26, 2018, 09:03:36 PM
That Morecambe & Wise episode was best left lost tbh. That god awful Irish sketch felt like it would never fucking end.

I started watching the show that started at half past and saw about the first 15 minutes.  I wasn't impressed.  When they announced they were going to do an "IRA sketch" I thought that was a bit daring, but then it started and they were just doing a bunch of Irish stereotypes.  I left the room for ten minutes to go do something and when I came back into the room they were still carrying on with the accents.  It was 5 to so I turned over as I was going to watch something that was about to start soon and didn't want to miss the start and it wasn't worth hanging around for a few more minutes of this dreck.  Apart from the intro did they even mention the IRA?  If that was the height of comedy in the early 70's then things sure have changed.  A shame they didn't find something else, that was atrocious.

checkoutgirl

In a mate's house on Christmas eve someone had the idea of putting on the Morecambe and Wise orchestra bit. It was interminable. 12 long minutes of laugh free cunting about. I just don't get why they're supposed to be so funny. Very of their time for me.

Captain Z

Unless I'm completely missing a thread on it did anybody watch Mark Gatiss' Inside No. 8 Dead Room? Or are we all sticking to the rule of 'if you've got nothing nice to say...'

St_Eddie

Quote from: Captain Z on December 27, 2018, 08:52:37 PM
Unless I'm completely missing a thread on it did anybody watch Mark Gatiss' Inside No. 8 Dead Room? Or are we all sticking to the rule of 'if you've got nothing nice to say...'

Oh no!  I was going to watch that.  Looking forward to it, in fact.  Was it rubbish?  Shall I not bother?

Norton Canes

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 27, 2018, 11:19:36 AM
In a mate's house on Christmas eve someone had the idea of putting on the Morecambe and Wise orchestra bit. It was interminable. 12 long minutes of laugh free cunting about. I just don't get why they're supposed to be so funny

What, the Andre Previn bit? That was the first time I've watched it all the way though and I thought it was fantastic. As usual with M&W it wasn't the scripted jokes that were hilarious, it was the little ad-libs and the incredibly slick interplay between Eric and Ernie. And I've never noticed before but Previn also performs superbly, considering he's not an actor or a comic. He deadpans so well throughout and delivers his lines with real conviction. Was the whole thing done in one take? If so, that makes Previn's turn even more commendable.   

Oh yeah, and the looks on the BBC orchestra players' faces are wonderful.

Attila

Quote from: mothman on December 26, 2018, 03:43:39 PM
The Reindeer Migration one was interesting though maybe not quite as completely chill-out as Sleigh Ride, but it was relaxing anyway.

We watched a bit of the Migration, but I have to agree, it wasn't as peaceful and zen as the Sleigh Ride.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 28, 2018, 10:21:14 AM
What, the Andre Previn bit? That was the first time I've watched it all the way though and I thought it was fantastic. As usual with M&W it wasn't the scripted jokes that were hilarious, it was the little ad-libs and the incredibly slick interplay between Eric and Ernie. And I've never noticed before but Previn also performs superbly, considering he's not an actor or a comic. He deadpans so well throughout and delivers his lines with real conviction. Was the whole thing done in one take? If so, that makes Previn's turn even more commendable.   

Oh yeah, and the looks on the BBC orchestra players' faces are wonderful.

I agree with the above. Andre Previn's  horrorstricken look when yer man Morecambe starts playing the piano is a thing of beauty. A fine performance.

neveragain

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 28, 2018, 12:21:21 AM
Oh no!  I was going to watch that.  Looking forward to it, in fact.  Was it rubbish?  Shall I not bother?

Well, I thought it was good for the most part but the ending didn't work... which sort of marred the whole thing but still... A redraft to create more tension and tidy up the plot would have helped. I still adore La Gatiss nevertheless! A very nice chap, though he did seem to ignore me when I asked if he wanted his breast pinched.

St_Eddie

Quote from: neveragain on December 29, 2018, 10:15:48 PM
...though he did seem to ignore me when I asked if he wanted his breast pinched.

What a bastard!  Honestly, these celebrities think they're above a breast pinch or two.  Just who do they think they bloody well are?!

"Do you want your breast pinched?"

"Yes, please."

How hard is that?!

Replies From View

"Can I have it back when you've finished with it though?"

Captain Z

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 28, 2018, 12:21:21 AM

Maybe others will disagree but it just felt like a 6th form attempt at Inside No. 9. It did make me appreciate just how good Steve & Reece are.

olliebean

Quote from: Captain Z on December 30, 2018, 12:10:39 PM
Maybe others will disagree but it just felt like a 6th form attempt at Inside No. 9. It did make me appreciate just how good Steve & Reece are.

I hadn't even thought of it in relation to Inside No.9, but - yes, it does not stand up well in comparison.

neveragain

I would agree with that, certainly.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Captain Z on December 30, 2018, 12:10:39 PM

That's a very apt assessment.