Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steve Coogan scares me

Started by Hey, Punk!, December 05, 2018, 01:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: the science eel on December 05, 2018, 02:40:52 PM
Mark's scares me more on that Light User Syndrome cover...

You're not the first person I've seen say this (I know MES himself said he looks awful on it), but I don't think he looks bad at all/ Wouldn't kick him out of bed etc.

EDIT: Perfect new page for a Coogan thread.

manticore

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 05, 2018, 02:08:34 PM
If anything he has improved with age. Lee and Herring praised him during the Day Today but it was lukewarm (mind you they were nicer about him than Patrick Marber).

Sticking with Partridge:

Even at KMKY tv series stage Partridge was not that much of a complex character, most of the humour in that series related to events and dialogue, not character work - it was only from IAP onwards that they really mined the comic potential of the character itself and huge amount of pathos that was there.

Coogan's performances have steadily improved too - Partridge is full of quirks and ticks in MMM that weren't previously apparent and I think Coogan's obsession with minutae and technical detail helps with that.

No no no this is crazy talk. Partridge's character was fully developed and psychologically interesting right at the start in the radio series of KMKY, and never quite reached such a peak again.

The second episode an absolute masterpiece of character comedy. Partridge's envy of the child prodigy which he can't subdue and ends up in violence, his insecurities about his lack of education, his sexual anxieties that come to the surface throughout the programme "the point is, there are blokes involved..."

His defensive ego, and ultimately the roots of his character in childhood as exposed under hypnotherapy, the revelation of his stalking of his persecutor from school, and finally his triumphant revenge bullying of the prodigy into wetting himself, all work together to create a picture of a complex character whose childhood lives on inside him.

I don't know why the radio series is so little mentioned, its the best thing Coogan ever did.

"I just find you fascinating..."

"What what, in what way?"

"Uhhh... clinically"