Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

See what you can do with O2

Started by im barry bethel, December 06, 2018, 08:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

im barry bethel

Icehaven

I saw about that on the news but I'm on O2 and mine's fine, so I must be someone very special indeed.

seepage

Quote from: icehaven on December 06, 2018, 08:23:42 AM
I saw about that on the news but I'm on O2 and mine's fine, so I must be someone very special indeed.

they're probably making sure they can still check what you're up to.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm on giffgaff, it's been fine at home but the past couple of days data and the signal has been terrible at work. I just assumed a site was out.

Beagle 2

Everything down as fuck for me. I got an email from giffgaff and assumed it was some sort of update, but it was actually them giving me a "sticker". You can stick your sticker up your sticky arse, you sticker cunts.

Wet Blanket

Just switched from O2 contract to giffgaff PAYG and while they were pretty bullish in  trying to make me renew my contract I had no idea they'd shut down the entire service in revenge

momatt

It's not working today is it.
I assumed it was my phone and have restarted it about ten times this morning.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 06, 2018, 09:18:16 AM
Everything down as fuck for me. I got an email from giffgaff and assumed it was some sort of update, but it was actually them giving me a "sticker". You can stick your sticker up your sticky arse, you sticker cunts.
I bet it wasn't even a real sticker.

Beagle 2

Especially irritating as I've no broadband until Saturday so I was tethering on my phone. I've just exceeded my allowance on my work phone as well, so this post alone has cost my company over four thousand pounds.

Alberon

I'm on Giffgaff and the data signal has been completely missing all morning. But it seems to be back now.

FredNurke

I wondered what was going on at first, since I've got an O2 phone and it's fine, then I saw that it's a data problem. No smartphone, no problem.

Chollis

Was wondering what was going on, worried I'd spaffed my monthly data allowance up the wall! PHEW

mothman

I though the fact my iMessages to my wife were going as text messages was due to my being in a hospital and the reception was bad (I'm on EE she's O2). Obviously not.

Dr Trouser

This has really scuppered my after lunch wank in the office toilets. I will have to use my 'imagination'

momatt

Quote from: Dr Trouser on December 06, 2018, 02:25:18 PM
This has really scuppered my after lunch wank in the office toilets. I will have to use my 'imagination'

Your avatar is perfect for this mood.

BlodwynPig

*Buelligan saunters through the thread with campfire and small rug*

Chollis

The Lurker

Thanks to O2, I've got more a lot more work done today considering that I'm not constantly fiddling with my phone from 9 till 5. That said, I've logged onto CaB less than 15 minutes before I'm due to finish so make of that what you will.

Sebastian Cobb

The site I'm on now is rapid but everywhere else I've been today has been doing nothing or pitifully slow (microcell maybe?).

The technical issue seems to be that ericcson forgot to renew ssl certs on core hardware that makes up core infrastructure and now because they've expired require manual intervention.

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1070729453771350019?s=19

Alberon

Back home on lovely wi-fi, though O2 seems to be coming back to life.

What the hell was that all about anyway?

all down to an expired SSL certificate.  Someone forgot to put a calendar reminder in outlook.  oops.

Icehaven

Since yesterday morning Mr. H has been getting an 'unable to send' message every time he sends a text, even though they have actually been sent, and it's also sending the same ones up to 3 times. He's restarted his phone but it's still doing it, so dunno if it's something to do with this or just coincidence.

Anyway I was watching the news last night and the best example they could find of people inconvenienced by the whole thing was a couple trudging round Leeds Christmas market who hadn't been able to find out what time their train home would be. Then this morning they had some tech expert on who did this long-winded explanation of what people could do to work around it that basically boiled down to 'use Wi-Fi'. I mean do people not know that already? And if you don't have it at home you're not going to run out and get it for one day, are you?   

Head Gardener

the missus says that the Huawei crash and O2's issues yesterday are connected

Quote from: icehaven on December 07, 2018, 09:56:34 AM
Since yesterday morning Mr. H has been getting an 'unable to send' message every time he sends a text, even though they have actually been sent, and it's also sending the same ones up to 3 times. He's restarted his phone but it's still doing it, so dunno if it's something to do with this or just coincidence.

Anyway I was watching the news last night and the best example they could find of people inconvenienced by the whole thing was a couple trudging round Leeds Christmas market who hadn't been able to find out what time their train home would be. Then this morning they had some tech expert on who did this long-winded explanation of what people could do to work around it that basically boiled down to 'use Wi-Fi'. I mean do people not know that already? And if you don't have it at home you're not going to run out and get it for one day, are you?   

I quite enjoyed Naga Munchetty screaming at that poor bloke like it was his responsibility that the network had gone down. Literally shrieking at him.

Sebastian Cobb

It was a bit of an inconvenience not being able to ask Google maps what bus I should get to go to the gig I was going to last night, but I suppose that could've been avoided by some basic forward planning.

im barry bethel

Since yesterday morning Mr. H has been getting an 'unable to send' message every time he sends a text, even though they have actually been sent, and it's also sending the same ones up to 3 times.

My (not O2) phone keeps buzzing and bleeping © James Nesbit with messages from O2 phones, the only trouble is they concern things happening today referenced as tomorrow

Fambo Number Mive

It seems some people didn't have calls as well:

QuoteOn Thursday, several O2 customers described the effects the outage was having.

Allison Rose-Mannall, from Norwich, is an insulin-dependent diabetic who relies on her mobile and was unable to get to a landline.

"I'm disabled ... I'm in a wheelchair," she told the BBC. "So having no data but also no calls as well means I can't contact anyone if I have a fall or if I need anything."

Lynsey Greaves runs a company in Doncaster providing home visits to the elderly and vulnerable. Her 130 staff all rely on O2 phones to access rotas, schedules, names and addresses. She called in extra office staff to give out the information for each visit over the phone.

"There are nine of us trying to sort it now," she said. "It's been a nightmare."

Luke Stagg runs a plumbing business and depends on his phone, but he couldn't get through to customers or use his sat nav.

"That's a whole day wasted," he said. "I'll be seeking to recoup my losses, especially as a business customer."

Mischa Bittar is also a plumber. He said he had been "unable to contact any of my engineers or customers via email, unable to use our mobile systems to contact any engineers at all, so everyone's just had to down tools today".

"A lot of money lost and the first thing I know about it is via the BBC website, no contact from O2 at all, disappointing," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46464730

Sebastian Cobb

If you're in a primary care position I think you shouldn't be reliant on a single phone network. It's not like dual sim is that rare these days.

Same for any machine using cellular data to do anything vaguely important, if you can't afford to have outages then build in some redundancy.

Noonling

As far as I understand my texts are being sent, but show up as not. I did have no signal at some points yesterday despite being in normal places where I usually have signal... Not sure if that was just a coincidence though.

Everyone in those BBC comments is dismissive, as if everyone should have a back up phone and sat nav and a hundred contingency plans and sure, for something like Transport for London it's quite embarrassing that they don't, but the majority of small businesses aren't really going to expect o2 services to be down for most of a day. Fair enough businesses want to claim some compensation.

But yeah, for plebs like me its just an annoying inconvenience.