Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Would it be better if every game was a hundred quid?

Started by The Boston Crab, December 06, 2018, 12:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 07, 2018, 05:19:32 PM
Someone here (in the RDR2 thread, I think) made the point that video games probably offer the best value for money of all media now. With RDR2 you're paying less than £1 per hour of the campaign, and with something like Dishonored 2 you could complete the campaign two different ways and double your money's worth. Games like Titanfall 2 have a campaign and a fuckload of multiplayer modes. Wolfenstein 2 has bonus missions after the campaign... With a blu-ray of a film (for example) you're paying more like £10 an hour (and it might even feature some of the same actors as those games).

Maybe that's all bollocks, but when you buy an AAA game today you can be reasonably sure that the developers won't have taken the piss.

Are there any computer games that aren't boring after a few minutes though?

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 07, 2018, 12:13:33 PM
The Boston Crab should be charged a £100 per posts, which would mean only the very best of his posts would make it through.

WHY STOP THERE

Twed

Quote from: Replies From View on December 07, 2018, 06:34:37 PM
Are there any computer games that aren't boring after a few minutes though?
Why do you keep posting in the games threads?

Replies From View

gmoney

Replies From View

To be fair I didn't think this thread was one of the deadly serious ones.

madhair60

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 07, 2018, 10:53:55 AM
Unbelievably wrong headed conclusion. Perhaps it would have been best if you had continued to sleep, forever, ie died.

Wow. Reported.

Penfold

So we're still calling him Bosto?

£101 to change it, or keep it.

Bosto is old school. TBC is quasi-affectionate. Boston is what your mum says. The Boston Crab is when I'm being told off by someone thick grasping for an air of authority.

Take your pick, son.

Twed

Thursday

Thinking about it, I'd say in particular, online games should be about a thousand quid. Keeps the proles from being able to join in. Guarantees a game has a classier clientele

Thursday

Quote from: Penfold on December 07, 2018, 11:47:53 PM
So we're still calling him Bosto?

£101 to change it, or keep it.

If you pay me £101 I will stop calling him Bosto.

Penfold

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 07, 2018, 11:52:39 PM
Bosto is old school. TBC is quasi-affectionate. Boston is what your mum says. The Boston Crab is when I'm being told off by someone thick grasping for an air of authority.

Take your pick, son.

Quote from: Twed on December 08, 2018, 12:17:37 AM
Don't listen to what The Boston Crab says.

Quote from: Thursday on December 08, 2018, 12:41:57 AM
If you pay me £101 I will stop calling him Bosto.

I actually only have £1 and I assume you are all the same person which is my new review system

biggytitbo

One of them Jim sterling videos the other day pointed out for the likes of the big game companies, budgets have been going down for a few years now, not up, which makes a bollocks of their repeated claims that they have to keep adding microtransactions and DLC and expensive special editions in order to make a profit, because games are 'so expensive to make'.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 07, 2018, 05:19:32 PM
Someone here (in the RDR2 thread, I think) made the point that video games probably offer the best value for money of all media now. With RDR2 you're paying less than £1 per hour of the campaign, and with something like Dishonored 2 you could complete the campaign two different ways and double your money's worth. Games like Titanfall 2 have a campaign and a fuckload of multiplayer modes. Wolfenstein 2 has bonus missions after the campaign... With a blu-ray of a film (for example) you're paying more like £10 an hour (and it might even feature some of the same actors as those games).

Maybe that's all bollocks, but when you buy an AAA game today you can be reasonably sure that the developers won't have taken the piss.

Even more so if you buy the games for £5 from cex.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Precisely. If you're hard up or just can't allow that much budget  for games then pretend that gaming is where it was ten years earlier, only now everything costs between £3-£10 and still has the same replay value.

The need to have everything as soon as possible is what creates these rip-off dynamics and shit like micro-transactions. Chill the fuck out and play some older games for a few years, then come back to find today's games are dirt cheap and if you've ignored what's been going on, still relatively impressive.

(Yes I can already sense the deaf ears this is falling on)

biggytitbo

The way things are going you do have to wonder how long the 2nd hand market will last though, with he increasing moves towards all digital distribution and streaming. There will apperently be a cheap x box next year without a disc drive, and  whilst the next gen machines will probably still have Blu Ray drives, the preference in the industry for digital is obvious as it means we never really own the games, and thus there is no 2nd hand market.