Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Return Of Ben Elton: Comedian

Started by TheMonk, December 06, 2018, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

Good on him. Can't be easy, he'll know the knives will be out.
Still think his old stuff had some wonderful writing amongst it.
Truly curious to hear what he thinks of the mess the world's in.
https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/arts/ben-elton-stand-up-uk-tour-2019-shows-a4010011.html

biggytitbo

Captain Crunch

Bronzy

Autopsy Turvey

Didn't he have a stand-up special on Dave a few years ago? I remember being pleasantly surprised, there was some good stuff about what a shit name Dave is for a TV channel, which I've never heard anyone else say on Dave.

Tony Tony Tony

Date from Elton tour -9 October 2019 — Scunthorpe: Baths

I knew Typhoo put the 'T' in Britain and know we know who put the 'cunt' in Scunthorpe (and when).

Bronzy

Bennett Brauer

Glebe

[tag]There is A MOUNTAIN of beer cans in the front room... there's pubic hairs on the butter, y'parents are coming home, Thatch is in power... ladies and gentl'men, please![/TAG]

Imagining the 2019 Ben Elton: "...If Brexit happened any slower, it'd go into reverse....So many immigrants, now, that job ads say 'poor English skills essential'....If Jezza Corbs gets in, taxes'd go through the roof-or where the roof was, before Muslim bombers'd blown it off.  Wo! Bitta politics there,,,,!"

Oliver Mardy

I had an LP of his standup which I played a lot in 1992. Very funny, I thought, if a bit Rik-style shouty and right-on.

But then he did a joke - probably on The Man From Auntie - which was spectacularly, ball-kickingly bad. It went (approximately, but pretty closely): "When I was growing up we thought a canape was a can of peas with only one pea left in it".

The way he spells out the connections at every step. The fact that those connections are clearly the process of deliberate thought, and not instinctive. But most of all is The Clunk. It is so clumsy, so contrived, that the joke was stillborn; it had no chance at all of emerging with any sense of natural rhythm, or even an approximation of language that a human being might use. It's like Elton had a big 1950s computer called 'The Jokebot 2000' in a room, and he pressed some buttons and pulled some levers, causing the Jokebot to spit out a piece of paper with this printed on it.

I hope it's the Ben Elton from that LP who returns to standup, and not the other cunt.

TheMonk

Quote from: Oliver Mardy on December 07, 2018, 08:20:38 PM
But then he did a joke - probably on The Man From Auntie - which was spectacularly, ball-kickingly bad. It went (approximately, but pretty closely): "When I was growing up we thought a canape was a can of peas with only one pea left in it".
It made me smile.

Oliver Mardy

Quote from: TheMonk on December 07, 2018, 09:58:33 PM
It made me smile.

It's the way he used "pea" (or what I guess you could call its homphone within the joke: "pe") three times. Gargh. Properly shudders my shoulders it does.

Quote from: Oliver Mardy on December 07, 2018, 08:20:38 PM

Then there was a joke he did in the early 1990s, involving the Tax Exempt Special Savings Accounts the Tories had established-TESSAs, for short.  He alluded to these then referred to the Chancellor of the Exchequer as a 'silly tessa'-tessa/tosser, geddit?  Similarly laboured and lacking in wit.