Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:51:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Groop plays.... in the milky night (again)

Started by hummingofevil, December 06, 2018, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Stereolab are playing Primavera. Can't be fucked going to Barcelona but if they do a run of gigs I'm very excited indeed. I never actually saw them live again after Mary died and felt there was a real drop off after Dots and Loops album wise but to see them rock out live is one of great things in music.

They reissuing all back catalogue so getting vibes this is a reunion with focus on all material rather than promoting a new album but be interesting to follow.

https://youtu.be/jhQhOp7NlZ8

holyzombiejesus

TG was remastering the Elektra releases for vinyl a few years back so they should sound pretty good. I'm glad I sold my shonky originals; some of those pressings were so bad. Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Mars Audiac Quintet were probably the worst pressed records I've ever owned, the former had bits that came off and the latter was lumpy, like hardened porridge.

hummingofevil

There was a copy of the gold Transcient Random... in Vinyl Exchange a few months back that was described as unplayable but still priced up at £60 or something. I've got the Switched On reissues and they are lovely (got original on CD). Most looking forward to a decent copy of Peng.

Oh i love that band.

Crabwalk

This is great news if it's something they want to do and not need to do. Gane and Sadier are still making excellent music independently of each other, so fingers crossed there'll be inspiration behind this.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 07, 2018, 03:22:58 PM
There was a copy of the gold Transcient Random... in Vinyl Exchange a few months back that was described as unplayable but still priced up at £60 or something. I've got the Switched On reissues and they are lovely (got original on CD). Most looking forward to a decent copy of Peng.

Oh i love that band.

I sold them that!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 07, 2018, 03:22:58 PM

Oh i love that band.

Peng's not in the fortcoming reissues as Duophonic reissued it a couple of weeks ago.

jobotic

So when I finally get a record player going again I won't be able to play all my old colour vinyl Stereolab? Switched On 2 on amber vinyl sounded alright when I last played it in 1967.

thraxx

I've got all their stuff on original vinyl and cant believe how much people are trying to sell it for.

Apart from emperor tomato ketchup and dots and loops on green and white vinyl, some cunt nicked those AND my vinyl copy of the first quickspace album.

jobotic

I seem to remember Lo-Fi sounded a bit cack.

I've got the first Quickspace album. It's £3.54 on Discogs.

Rev+

What was the 7" that had unique covers?  Mainly potato print and spirograph efforts.  I've got one of those somewhere so hopefully it'll buy a house.

hummingofevil

Im not really a audiophile but for me the comparison is the album recording of The Seaming And The Meaning (which is an fucking banger but sounds tinny and terrible on every format I own/find) and the The Word version of French Disko which I'm listening to right now through shit bit-rate and awesome headphones and sounds incredible.

https://youtu.be/IH3aQJj119YOk

hummingofevil

And this version of John cage Bubblegum that has zero bass but is groovy as fuck and makes me literally fall in love with at least 4 of the participants.

https://youtu.be/fHraUBOWe9E

Laëtitia's dancing around 1:50 onwards is my sprit animal. Sorry got hogging the thread but I love them all so much and they fucking musical magicians. :)

sevendaughters

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 08, 2018, 02:19:32 AM
And this version of John cage Bubblegum that has zero bass but is groovy as fuck and makes me literally fall in love with at least 4 of the participants.

https://youtu.be/fHraUBOWe9E

Laëtitia's dancing around 1:50 onwards is my sprit animal. Sorry got hogging the thread but I love them all so much and they fucking musical magicians. :)

this is great. that record shop has since relocated to...Ludlow. In Shropshire.

i am wary about reformation though. no Mary feels like no band for me. it must be for the cash as they didn't really get on very well (from a well-placed source) for quite some time.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 08, 2018, 10:21:41 AM
that record shop has since relocated to...Ludlow. In Shropshire.

Ha ha! No it hasn't!

http://www.modlang.com/

http://www.modlanguk.com/

it must be for the cash as they didn't really get on very well (from a well-placed source) for quite some time.

I'm guessing it's just to promote the reissues although obviously money comes in to it. Do you know at what part of the band's history Laetitia and Tim split up?

sevendaughters

I have been dealing in rare records and music memorabilia for over 30 years. I moved to Berkeley, California in 1981 after working for Virgin retail in the UK. - must be more than one Mod Lang in Berkeley then!

sevendaughters

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 08, 2018, 10:26:45 AM
Do you know at what part of the band's history Laetitia and Tim split up?

I don't, no. There was other beef between other members that I am more aware of. Well, less 'beef' and more 'general feeling of being fed up by'.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 08, 2018, 10:29:46 AM
I have been dealing in rare records and music memorabilia for over 30 years. I moved to Berkeley, California in 1981 after working for Virgin retail in the UK. - must be more than one Mod Lang in Berkeley then!

God, I'm so sorry! I sometimes do that with my wife too - laugh at her for being wrong and then end up looking like a right dick.

sevendaughters

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 08, 2018, 10:41:41 AM
God, I'm so sorry! I sometimes do that with my wife too - laugh at her for being wrong and then end up looking like a right dick.

same, except replace 'wife' with 'everyone I know'.

jobotic

this is great. that record shop has since relocated to...Ludlow. In Shropshire.

i am wary about reformation though. no Mary feels like no band for me. it must be for the cash as they didn't really get on very well (from a well-placed source) for quite some time.

Mary was great and a massive loss but they were pretty amazing before she joined. Really depends what sort of Stereolab it will be.

holyzombiejesus

I liked that Katherine Gifford one that they had. Many years ago, I sat and watched her eat tomato soup with garlic bread in King Tuts Wah Wah Hut before they supported The Pastels.

holyzombiejesus

Bob Stanley djed too. They played 1 night in Edinburgh, 1 in Glasgow and produced a little fanzine to accompany the shows. Think Tim Gane wrote about his top 10 Krautrock records and Bob wrote about Michael Polnareff.

https://didnotchart.blogspot.com/2011/08/pastels-and-stereolab-zine.html?m=1

Egyptian Feast

I've been really enjoying the reissues so far. I was surprised  they re-released Peng! and Space Age Bachelor Pad Music so soon after the Switched On trilogy. I'd been hunting for a decent, affordable copy of Peng! for ages, so I snapped them right up. Seems quite a few people were unaware they'd come out though, so maybe they should've waited a bit.

Looking forward to getting the rest in due course. I've never owned Transient... or even heard Mars Audiac Quintet, so they're the ones I'm most anticipating. I have everything else up to Sound Dust on CD, but vinyl copies will be a treat. Is there a reason they haven't ever re-released or compiled the tracks on Low-Fi?

I've loved Stereolab since hearing Chris Morris play 'Wow And Flutter' on the Radio 1 shows (on downloads pinched from this very site around the time of the Brass Eye special controversy, fuck me where's the century gone???), but due to poverty and timing, never managed to catch them live. I'm seeing Laetitia next month at The Lexington but I haven't heard any of her solo stuff yet. I take it the most recent album is worth a listen?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 08, 2018, 11:00:46 AM
I liked that Katherine Gifford one that they had. Many years ago, I sat and watched her eat tomato soup with garlic bread in King Tuts Wah Wah Hut before they supported The Pastels.

Why am I finding that quite erotic? And by quite  I mean extremely.

Crabwalk

News from their website:

3rd May 2019 sees the start of Stereolab's 7 album reissue campaign when 1993's 'Transient Random Noise-Bursts With Announcements' and 1994's 'Mars Audiac Quintet' will be the first albums reissued, via Warp Records and Duophonic UHF Disks, as expanded and re-mastered editions on vinyl, compact disk and digital.

Each album has been re-mastered from the original 1/2" tapes by Bo Kondren at Calyx Mastering and overseen by Tim Gane. Bonus material will include alternate takes, 4 track demos and unreleased mixes.

The initial vinyl editions will be pressed onto triple clear numbered vinyl with a poster / insert containing sleeve notes by Tim. They will also include a lottery style scratch card - all winners will receive a limited edition 12" EP

The band have also produced a super limited edition of 500 clear vinyl copies and 250 compact disks - each will have a numbered obi band made from 2" 24 track Stereolab master tape.

Expect reissues of Emperor Tomato Ketchup, Dots and Loops and Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky night in August 2019 with Sound-Dust and Margerine Eclipse being released in November 2019.

And the tour dates:

May

30 - Brussels, BE @ Botanique/Orangerie
31 - Hilvarenbeek, NL @ Best Kept Secret**

June
01 - Barcelona, ES @ Primavera Sound**
06 - Porto, PT @ Primavera Sound**
08 - Bordeaux, FR @ Rock School Barbey
09 - Paris, FR @ Vilette Sonique**
11 - Brighton, UK @ Concorde 2
12 - London, UK @ O2 Shepherds Bush Empire
15 - Bristol, UK @ SWX
16 - Birmingham, UK @ O2 Institute 1
18 - Sheffield, UK @ Leadmill
19 - Manchester, UK @ Albert Hall
20 - Newcastle, UK @ Boiler Shop
21 - Leeds, UK @ Leeds Uni Stylus
22 - Glasgow, UK @ SWG3 Galvinisers
24 - Belfast, UK @ Empire
25 - Dublin, IE @ Vicar Street
August

15–18 - Brecon Beacons, UK @ Green Man Festival**

September
16 - El Paso, TX @ Lowbrow Palace
17 - Santa Fe, NM @ Meow Wolf
19 - San Antonio, TX @ Paper Tiger
20 - Austin, TX @ Mohawk
21 - Dallas, TX @ Granada Theatre
23 - Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse
25 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
26 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
27 - Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel
28 - Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel
29 - Boston, MA @ Royale
October
01 - Montreal, QC @ Corona Theatre
02 - Toronto, ON @ Danforth Music Hall
03 - Detroit, MI @ Majestic Theatre
04 - Milwaukee, WI @ Turner Hall
05 - Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
07 - Denver, CD @ Gothic Theatre
08 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Metro Music Hall
10 - Phoenix, AZ @ Crescent Ballroom
11 - Moreno Beach, CA @ Desert Daze**
13 - Portland, OR @ Wonder Ballroom
14 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
15 - Seattle, WA @ The Showbox
18 - San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
19 - San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore

SBE seems pretty small for their sole London date, does it not? I'd have thought the Roundhouse or Brixton Academy would've been fillable.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 08, 2018, 12:09:55 PM
Bob Stanley djed too. They played 1 night in Edinburgh, 1 in Glasgow and produced a little fanzine to accompany the shows. Think Tim Gane wrote about his top 10 Krautrock records and Bob wrote about Michael Polnareff.

https://didnotchart.blogspot.com/2011/08/pastels-and-stereolab-zine.html?m=1

FFS, thought that said died for a second. Don't do that!

jobotic

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 20, 2019, 03:24:32 PM
News from their website:

And the tour dates:

SBE seems pretty small for their sole London date, does it not? I'd have thought the Roundhouse or Brixton Academy would've been fillable.

Do I want to go and see them? They were such a massive part of my life when I was young but I'm not now, and i don't know the person I shared that with anymore.

Can nostalgia do anything but disappoint? Then again it's Stereolab!

Crabwalk

I know what you mean. But I don't think they're the types to phone it in, and it's not the sort of show you'd expect to be a visceral thrill anyhow. I'd be happy to just go and absorb the sound.

In any case, tickets go on presale at 10am here:

Use this code: LABLIVE2019

jobotic

Brighton  - tickets not available. Wonder if it's sold out (to middle aged blokes like me) or if they're not up yet.