Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Groop plays.... in the milky night (again)

Started by hummingofevil, December 06, 2018, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: jobotic on February 21, 2019, 10:39:15 AM
Brighton  - tickets not available. Wonder if it's sold out (to middle aged blokes like me) or if they're not up yet.

I can't imagine them selling out that fast. They're still available for London. Just keep an eye on it I reckon, or call the venue?

jobotic

A friend managed to get one at ten this morning (for brighton), then it said none available now says on sale tomorrow so I guess the pre-cum sale ones went. Not near a PC tomorrow morning but my sister is on it. If not I'll just hope its rubbish.

Not going to Shepherds Bush, too much of a blast from the past for me.

Is it proper Stereolab then? Laetitia and all?

hummingofevil

I haven't noticed Andy Ramsey in the publicity photos which, apart from Mary obviously, would be the biggest miss. Looks to me the motivation is Gane/Sadier working together again.

Crabwalk

I reckon Joe Dilworth will drum then. He's got the current relationship with Tim via COAM, and is obviously on all the early stuff.

alan nagsworth

Beyond excited to have a ticket for this. My last gig at Shep's Bush was Sparks and that's one of the best things I've seen in at least the last ten years so the thought of heading back there in peak summer, smoking a joint on the common, heading in and doing a swaying dance with my eyes closed for the whole set is a very giddy one indeed. It's been a gig fantasy of mine for some time now.

Been rinsing their stuff again since the tour announcement. "Golden Ball" is such a fucking stellar tune. Incredible droning space rock. And that jerking skip a few minutes in! Thrilling.

the science eel

Quote from: jobotic on February 21, 2019, 10:39:15 AM
Brighton  - tickets not available. Wonder if it's sold out (to middle aged blokes like me) or if they're not up yet.

Glasgow the same.

Guess they really did sell out fast.

alan nagsworth

The general sale for tickets is tomorrow morning you dingbats. Today was just the pre-sale. Set your alarms.

jobotic

What is pre-sale? Why not just sell them all together?

I don't really go to gigs that might sell out very often, I've been out the game too long.

Crabwalk

It just means if you register ahead you get early access to tickets before they go in general sale. I think it's intended that 'proper fans' get first dibs. No idea if that's how it works out though.

Squink

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 21, 2019, 12:02:39 PM
I reckon Joe Dilworth will drum then. He's got the current relationship with Tim via COAM, and is obviously on all the early stuff.

There are pictures of them on Twitter rehearsing with Andy on drums. It's the same lineup they had before they split, I think. I've seen this version of the band, and as much as I love the 'lab, it was fucking terrible. I guess if they are focussing more on a "greatest hits" type thing it might be better. I'm giving it a miss though. The reissues do look nice at least.

jobotic

Terrible how?

i don't want my happy(ish) memories of all those gigs sullied.

Squink

I've seen them many times and they were a fantastic live band! I'm talking about the last 2008 (I think it was?) tour. They just got too muso for me, lost a lot of the looseness they had, Mary wasn't there anymore, it was just a group of proficient + anonymous blokes backing them up. But I don't really like anything they did after Dots & Loops, so my time with them was over by then.

holyzombiejesus

I really liked McCarthy so was really excited when I heard that Tim Gane was releasing stuff. I was just as excited that Malcolm Eden was releasing as herzfeld stuff too and bought their early stuff. I got the first couple of Stereolab singles from the much missed Rhythm record mail order catalogue and still get annoyed with myself for selling them for about £3 when I was skint and wanted a couple of pints. Think they're both worth 3 figure sums now :( Anyway, saw McCarthy quite a few times in the early years, once supporting Yo La Tengo at the Boardwalk which, looking back was a ridiculously small venue for either to be playing. I bought the split 7" at that show, along with a 'Cliff' slider puzzle thingy and a mug. All gone now. Lost interest after the first few albums, probably after ETK, although kept buying the records, playing them once then filing away. Sold the lot a couple of years ago when I heard about that TG was remastering so feel duty bound to buy the represses even though I'll probably just file those away again too. For me, they were a singles band although even those got obscured by the vast amount of stupidly limited and irritatingly doodly things they put out.

non capisco

Quote from: Squink on February 21, 2019, 05:21:11 PM
I've seen this version of the band, and as much as I love the 'lab, it was fucking terrible.

SHURRUP YOU, I'M STILL EXCITED!

hummingofevil

Quote from: Squink on February 21, 2019, 06:59:03 PM
I've seen them many times and they were a fantastic live band! I'm talking about the last 2008 (I think it was?) tour. They just got too muso for me, lost a lot of the looseness they had, Mary wasn't there anymore, it was just a group of proficient + anonymous blokes backing them up. But I don't really like anything they did after Dots & Loops, so my time with them was over by then.

If I had a million pounds on it I reckon its going to be a back catalogue greatest hits type set that rocks out and not too much noodling. Yes they nicked the motorik Neu! sound but there have plenty of bands since then who've nicked it off them and I reckon this tour is about them nailing their position in the psyche/kraut/indie whatever cannon.

I can't fucking wait. Now for a reformed Add N to X as support. :)

thraxx

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 21, 2019, 08:49:43 PM

I can't fucking wait. Now for a reformed Add N to X as support. :)

Fucking yes.  Add N to (X) where amazing.  I saw them first supporting Hovercraft and they were just a revelation, totally mental.   Still fancy the pants off of Ann.

Squink

I remember Barry 7 leaping into the crowd and beating the shit out of some guy who was fucking with his equipment at one Add N to X gig. Good times. If I remember correctly they had a Glitter Band-style two drummers lineup at that gig too (one of whom was the aforementioned Mr Dilworth).

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: thraxx on February 21, 2019, 08:54:45 PM
Fucking yes.  Add N to (X) where amazing.  I saw them first supporting Hovercraft and they were just a revelation, totally mental.   Still fancy the pants off of Ann.

I still have memory of Ms. Shenton wearing a top that you could tell she knew was semi transparent.

Ah, fond mammaires etc. etc.

I think Hovercraft supported them, but I could be wrong. And Too lazy to dig out the ticket, if I've still got it.

thraxx

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on February 21, 2019, 11:20:57 PM
I still have memory of Ms. Shenton wearing a top that you could tell she knew was semi transparent.

Ah, fond mammaires etc. etc.

I think Hovercraft supported them, but I could be wrong. And Too lazy to dig out the ticket, if I've still got it.

Perhaps it was that way round.  I'm glad they exist, but man Hovercraft were boring.  When Add N to (x) came one, hyping it up with the vocoded WE ARE ADD N TO X, live drums with Barry and Ann on the synths... I think they opened with Revenge of the Black Regent, people were going fucking mental, throwing shit and slamming into each other.  One of the maddest gigs I've ever been to.  I was still a novice gig goer than and it was well intense.

hummingofevil

I saw Add N to X at Night and Day on Valentine's Day 2018. Took my ex on our first platonic date and asked Ann if the Moog on front of the album cover was coming out or going in. She politely informed me that it was clearly a Caesarian birth. I felt thick as fuck.

Andy Ramsey was on drums. At time where everything was very arse end of britpop, laptop electronics and mogwai style guitar (plus likes of Doves getting big) they really were a radical act back then.

Squink

They carried on for a while after Ann left the band, god knows why, money to be made probably. These bands never know when to call time. I saw them on that tour, the bloke from Relaxed Muscle/All Seeing I replaced Ann. It was a bit of a shambles. For some reason I have a habit of seeing bands at both their absolute best and worst. That 'lab 2008 tour I mentioned up there, the absolute nadir was when Sadier started playing...trumpet, I think it was? They went on hiatus soon after.

jobotic

Crabwalk

The London show has sold out and they've just announced a second date there the following night. I thought one night at SBE was curiously small scale - I guess they just wanted to test the water.

hummingofevil

I think they need to bite the bullet and have a Mary replacement.

Phil_A

I discovered recently all the Lab's promo videos(and Broadcast's) have disappeared from youtube because Warp Records has put a block on them all. For fuck's sake.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Squink on February 22, 2019, 03:01:59 AM
They carried on for a while after Ann left the band, god knows why, money to be made probably. These bands never know when to call time. I saw them on that tour, the bloke from Relaxed Muscle/All Seeing I replaced Ann. It was a bit of a shambles. For some reason I have a habit of seeing bands at both their absolute best and worst. That 'lab 2008 tour I mentioned up there, the absolute nadir was when Sadier started playing...trumpet, I think it was? They went on hiatus soon after.

Can't remember if I saw Add N to (x) post Ann or if I just read it someone where, but someone asked where Ann was and the answer was 'living in a ditch'.

I also remember Hovercraft being good live but pants on record, but it was soo long ago...

As regards going to see Stereolab in [present year],

heck to be honest, I think they've been going downhill since Katharine Gifford left.

holyzombiejesus

3 songs from Primavera are up on Youtube. Looks like they got Joachim Löw in to do vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8q1Gdh1ptQ

Crabwalk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 08, 2019, 10:54:51 AM
3 songs from Primavera are up on Youtube. Looks like they got Joachim Löw in to do vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8q1Gdh1ptQ

No way I'm clicking on that!

The new Vanishing Twin record is incredible. Really looking forward to seeing them support the 'Lab on Wednesday.

jobotic

Brighton tonight. Although my lift is late so a bit worried about getting there on time.