Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Groop plays.... in the milky night (again)

Started by hummingofevil, December 06, 2018, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I'm very jealous of you lot seeing them in London, if only because I've seen them now twice on this tour and you've got it to come. If you saw them back in the day, rest assured they're just as good now.

alan nagsworth

Good lord I'm excited for this tonight. Listening to "Golden Ball" on the train and counting down the hours.

Crabwalk

Vanishing Twin sounding majestic in their live session on 6 music last night. What a treat tonight should be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0005vt4

jobotic

Come on you two, get up. I want to hear your verdicts.

Crabwalk

Loved every minute of it. Great setlist balancing the material everyone wanted to hear with plenty of unexpected gems - which I won't spoil in case others are going tonight. There were a couple of personal favourites that I would never have predicted would get an airing.

They were really tight, and played with genuine intensity, which surprised me. Tim seemed really into it and Laetitia was enjoying herself, which was lovely to see. I had wondered whether it all might be a bit begrudging on the band's part but that wasn't the case at all as far as I could make out.

And I finally got to meet Nags and Non Capisco, who are gents of the highest order.

alan nagsworth

You don't have to be polite. I'm a monstrous bellend and non capisco is a gig-fleeing sack of vomit.

But yes, it was very good indeed. I can only really echo what Crabwalk's said. I spent quite a lot of the gig grinning with my eyes closed in a woozy krautrock trance. Wonderful stuff.

One of the friends who came with us claims he's not seen a band play since his uni days many years ago (he's mostly into jungle/garage/techno gigs) and he was just fucking loving every bit of it, it was so great to share that experience with him.

Crabwalk

If you're reading this, I hope you're feeling better Non Capisco. That was a tough break, and sorry for regaling you with a gory tale about Bobbie Gillespie when you were already feeling awful...

Now the Groop are back, and the reception seems to have been positive, I wonder if I may get greedy.

I'd love them to play a seated show at somewhere like the Barbican where they can perform with an extended band including brass, strings and extra percussion (and joined/arranged by Sean O'Hagan), and take on the lusher work in their catalogue.

Imagine 'Cybele's Reverie', 'The Free Design', 'Miss Modular', 'Slow Fast Hazel', 'You Used to Call me Sadness', 'Calimero', 'Infinity Girl' etc performed like that, with the band in this form.

I'd pay a lot to see that.

jobotic

Just looked at setlist. Only a couple of differences. Shame neither night got Jenny Ondioline like we did in Ramsgate. And no one got Super Electric. But whatever, fantastic weren't they?

I saw them lots years and years ago because I was so cool and young, but I don't remember them sounding better than this. As good definitely but this is no cynical going through the motions thing.

Bobby Treetops

Hope you get better soon non capisco, what a bummer.

Off to to see them tonight with Ms Treetops, can't wait.

Phil_A

I had a shitty evening unfortunately, not to do with the band who were great, but other gig-related circumstances. The main one being the curse of being a short-arse in the moshpit, I could not see fucking anything. Eventually I managed to elbow my way through to the bar area to be able to squeeze a glimpse of the stage but the whole time my back was killing me after standing so long with a heavy bag(no choice with that as I have to come straight from work). Never doing stalls again, next time I'll fork out for a seat if it bankrupts me.

I was also infuriated that my recording of Vanishing Twin was completely ruined by these two FUCKING CUNTS stood right behind me who would not fucking shut up all the way through the set, and whom can be heard with crystal clarity over the music. Every time I tried to push away from them they just came up behind me into the gap. One of them mentioned Chris Morris so they were probably Cabbers as well.

alan nagsworth

I'm aware that social anxiety and whatnot can make it hard to speak out against twats behaving inappropriately but gigs are a big exception to that rule for me. I will, and have on many occasions, asked people to be quiet when they're talking at a gig. "Excuse me, could you stop talking please? I can't concentrate on the music". The vast majority of the time it goes totally fine. If not, then I usually follow it up with "I didn't pay good fucking money to listen to you talk, so pack it in please".

Also, there was a cloakroom!

hummingofevil

I know it was Primavera and I have already discussed at length but I did go into the whole thing with an explicit personal rule that I am now 40 and I was not going to get pissed off by phones, talking or sing-a-longs. I've seen some horror stories online about the chatting in these gigs but was it really that bad.

Nothing will ever come close to me seeing Ulrich Schnauss in Leeds with some posh cunt (yes it does make a difference - sorry reverse snobbery haters) chatting to some lass next to me throughout. I waited till she went to the bog as not to inflame him infront of his friend but when I told asked him if he intended to talks through THE WHOLE of the set he looked at me like I was some kind of maniac. Oh well... just try to enjoy it is my best bet.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Phil_A on June 13, 2019, 08:41:33 PM
I was also infuriated that my recording of Vanishing Twin was completely ruined by these two FUCKING CUNTS stood right behind me who would not fucking shut up all the way through the set, and whom can be heard with crystal clarity over the music. Every time I tried to push away from them they just came up behind me into the gap. One of them mentioned Chris Morris so they were probably Cabbers as well.

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 13, 2019, 10:47:10 AM

And I finally got to meet Nags and Non Capisco, who are gents of the highest order.

Nags and NC and Crabwalk meet Phil. :)

Crabwalk

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 14, 2019, 05:06:21 AM
Nags and NC and Crabwalk meet Phil. :)

Not guilty! We were at the back for Vanishing Twin. Really sorry Phil_A had a bad night. I've seen lots of complaints on Twitter about chatters. I have to say the crowd around us during Stereolab were good. We were near the front but far stage right.

I did get into a mild altercation with two guys during Ping Pong, which threatened to spoil the gig, but that was down to them barging past me to get nearer the front, and then doubling back to stand virtually on top of me.

Paaaaul

I saw them last night.
There were loads of people talking, but it didn't bother me as much as it usually would because the sound of the band was so fucking dreadful that I was totally unengaged. It was a sludgy low-end mess with no clarity. When they played more motorik songs in the final third of the set, I couldn't tell what they were playing as the mushy sound made them indistinguishable from each other.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: Paaaaul on June 14, 2019, 06:23:43 PM
I saw them last night.
There were loads of people talking, but it didn't bother me as much as it usually would because the sound of the band was so fucking dreadful that I was totally unengaged. It was a sludgy low-end mess with no clarity. When they played more motorik songs in the final third of the set, I couldn't tell what they were playing as the mushy sound made them indistinguishable from each other.

I went last night and apart from French Disco which sounded like a horrible sludgy mess, I thought the sound was fine. Where did you stand?

At first I found myself surrounding by talking loudly and barging by you to get bar every two minutes twats (but that's what you get for standing by the bar), but soon got towards the front and everything was fine.

Ms Treetops said she preferred them live the first time round and thought they missed Mary Hansen, but what does she know.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 14, 2019, 07:53:57 PM
I went last night and apart from French Disco which sounded like a horrible sludgy mess, I thought the sound was fine. Where did you stand?

At first I found myself surrounding by talking loudly and barging by you to get bar every two minutes twats (but that's what you get for standing by the bar), but soon got towards the front and everything was fine.

Ms Treetops said she preferred them live the first time round and thought they missed Mary Hansen, but what does she know.
I was stood about 7 or 8 people back, right in the middle. I think the problem with French Disco was the guitar and drums dropping out of sync a few times rather than a particular mixing problem.

Other than a bit of head-bobbing, the audience last night was very static and detached from the band, and I'm sure it was due to the crap sound.

Last week I saw Guided By Voices at Village Underground, and the sound quality was vastly different. GBV are a much noisier band, but the sound throughout was both muscular and clear as a bell, and the audience was totally engaged because of it.

jobotic

It sounded really good on the two dates I saw. Must be the venue.

eifion

Sheffield and Manchester now postponed due to illness.

the science eel

Illness, bad sound....don't think I'll bother with Newcastle then

hummingofevil

If they play it should be good as Boiler Shop has decent sound. Shame for them there is illness mind.

non capisco

Can I just say when I had to flee their first London show last week to boisterously vomit outside it turned out to be food poisoning so I am NOT responsible for this 'illness'.

alan nagsworth

The people bemoaning the bad sound are on about the second night at Shepherd's Bush Empire, right? I find it hard to believe that one night (the one I was at) could sound great and the next supposedly sound crap.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 19, 2019, 06:48:48 AM
The people bemoaning the bad sound are on about the second night at Shepherd's Bush Empire, right? I find it hard to believe that one night (the one I was at) could sound great and the next supposedly sound crap.

As I've mentioned up thread French Disco sounded pretty horrible but apart from that everything sounded great, and I lost my shit at several points. Also comparing setlists they only played one of my favourites John Cage Bubblegum on the second night.

I'm out in Sweden in August visiting Ms Treetops family so we're thinking of popping down to Copenhagen to see them again there.

jobotic

I was lucky with the setlists I saw. Did the do Jenny Ondioline anywhere other than the second night of Ramsgate?

Andy Ramsey has said on Facebook that it's to do with someone having a back injury (don't know who) but that he reckons they'll be alright for Leeds.

alan nagsworth

Yeah I believe they played Jenny second night of Shepherd's Bush also.

AnthonyJ

They played it in Bristol too.

Quote from: jobotic on June 19, 2019, 09:35:01 AM
I was lucky with the setlists I saw. Did the do Jenny Ondioline anywhere other than the second night of Ramsgate?

Andy Ramsey has said on Facebook that it's to do with someone having a back injury (don't know who) but that he reckons they'll be alright for Leeds.