Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Remember when the biggest concern about food was whether it had "colours" in it?

Started by Twed, December 07, 2018, 03:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Mental that. Very 1991. Anything else? We're making good inroads on "fat free" being viewed with skepticism, it seems.

imitationleather

Whether or not food was genetically modified was huge for a bit while I was in secondary school. If you didn't have a view on the issue you were bullied so much you'd stop coming in.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I remember when the biggest concern about food was when imitationleather kept on coming in it

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 07, 2018, 07:39:11 AM
I remember when the biggest concern about food was when imitationleather kept on coming in it

I preferred the imitation stuff, if anything.

imitationleather

All food tastes like shit until I've had my way with it. I know it, you know it, Nadiya off Bake-Off knows it.

the

Surely this harks back to the days of the demonic E number? Very '© TV-AM 1984', that. And a suprisingly untapped seam of vaporwave aesthetics

Helped us build up a tolerance. Now, a tiny bit of Novichok and everyone panics.

Jerzy Bondov

Have you seen the state of Smarties these days? They look ill. All because they did away with artificial colouring. Are you trying to tell me that nothing in nature is a vibrant orange colour? What about a big vibrant orange? Come off it.

Party Rings is another one. Seriously. Open up a packet of those today and you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd gone colour blind. Party?! I think not.

pancreas

And they've taken all the MSG out of everything. MSG, E621, is the very best of the E numbers. I can eat it by the spoonful.

Blue Jam

MSG and "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" too. Have you ever tried cooking with MSG? It's not called "Deliciousness Powder" for nothing. 1991, you bunch of racists.

biggytitbo

There was a time in the 80s when it was discovered that most supermarket meat pies were actually filled with DUNG. Couldn't touch one for years afterwards. Captain Birdseye was caught out again a few years later when he was caught using SICK as the filling in his crispy pancakes.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 07, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
There was a time in the 80s when it was discovered that most supermarket meat pies were actually filled with DUNG.

I've seen Blackadder Back And Forth, I don't remember them going to the 80's

biggytitbo

pancreas

Remember when we dug all those mass graves to bury victims of swine flu? Then they were repurposed for avian flu, and finally ebola.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: the on December 07, 2018, 07:56:52 AM
Surely this harks back to the days of the demonic E number? Very '© TV-AM 1984', that. And a suprisingly untapped seam of vaporwave aesthetics

I remember thousands of copies being returned in Yorkshire.

steve98

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 07, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
There was a time in the 80s when it was discovered that most supermarket meat pies were actually filled with DUNG. Couldn't touch one for years afterwards. Captain Birdseye was caught out again a few years later when he was caught using SICK as the filling in his crispy pancakes.

I can well believe that about the Crispy Pancakes sick (Not so sure about the dung-filled pies though)

Sebastian Cobb

I've got a vague recollection from around that time of a bloke down the market selling massive bags of sweets that were probably quality control failures (almost certainly off the back of a Cadbury lorry) and one of the things him selling was bags of blue smarties. Back when there was a worry the blue ones would make kids go mental.

BlodwynPig