Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:18:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New scales

Started by Norton Canes, December 07, 2018, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Just been messaging Mrs Canes about meeting up for lunch. I've already had my sarnies and therefore suggested cake but she hasn't eaten yet so wants savoury. However when I attempted to ascertain exactly how savoury, she became nonplussed. For this reason I propose there should be a savouriness scale so that people can discuss savouriness with a measure of objectivity.

Do you agree? If so how should it be calibrated? What should it be called? Are there any other variable quantities that are in need of a scale?

Or just make some lewd quips. But don't let them be too, heh... objectionable.

kittens

you'll need some new scales after two helpings of sandwiches you fat fucking fat fuck, cheers

Beagle 2

I suppose at one end you've got your enigmatic gender benders like a cheese scone going right up to pure anti-matter savoury i.e. bovril.

shiftwork2

I would describe a cheese scone as fairly savoury.  There you go you see, it's always subjective.

Beagle 2

Norton Canes

Quote from: kittens on December 07, 2018, 12:35:52 PM
you'll need some new scales after two helpings of sandwiches you fat fucking fat fuck, cheers

No not two helpings hence cake suggestion

pancreas

Chinese snacks are usually quite non-binary in this respect. Sometimes they can feel like trans-sweets and sometimes trans-savouries. Also, quite like trans-people, initially you are a bit wtf, but then you're like, mmm this is actually quite delicious ... and rag it/them to fuck.

biggytitbo

Is savoury a thing in itself, or just the absence of sweetness or sour? Or is sourness a type of savoury? What of umami?

kittens

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 07, 2018, 12:44:56 PM
No not two helpings hence cake suggestion

NO if you have savoury again that is TWO HELPINGS OF SANDWICHES for goodness' sake. and that will make you FAT which will BREAK your SCALES and you will need NEW SCALES.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 07, 2018, 12:41:23 PM
I would describe a cheese scone as fairly savoury.  There you go you see, it's always subjective.

Yeah, but get a bit of plum chutney in there and try again. Now it is VERGING ON PUDDING.

Nice brie sandwich you've got there, sir. Very savoury. Be a shame if someone were to put grapes in it. Oh, now look at it, sir, it is EFFECTIVELY CAKE.

Gammon with a pineapple ring and a bit of Demerara? Roasted turkey with cranberry sauce? IKEA meatballs with lingonberry jam? Honey roasted veg? One of those posh pates or pork pies with the fruit on top? A BRIOCHE BUN?????

But what is this now? Dessert time? But what shall I have. CHEESE AND BISCUITS??? For fucks sake. Savoury at the end? No, you must run to the nearest church and confess for you and your diet are an abomination in the eyes of the Lord and you must be cleansed by his love.

kittens

if it was a very fat guy he could have two sets of scales and have one foot on each and add the results up. if it was a tremendously fat guy and he needed more than two scales then that would be a very very fat person indeed.

kittens

you'd see a very fat person and say 'real three scaler there' and everyone would be like great gag kittens mate you're right that guy is really really fat.

pancreas

You haven't though this through, as usual. Even with the two-scaler, he puts his foot on one, but as soon as he lifts his foot off the ground, he is being held up by just one scales, and they are then broken.

king_tubby

They've all got a bit of plum chutney in there by the time I've finished with them.

kittens

Quote from: pancreas on December 07, 2018, 01:25:20 PM
You haven't though this through, as usual. Even with the two-scaler, he puts his foot on one, but as soon as he lifts his foot off the ground, he is being held up by just one scales, and they are then broken.

he is LIFTED on to the scales by the apparatus. his doctor has installed the apparatus in his bathroom and it is also used to hover him above the toilet. this is all pretty obvious stuff but of course your brain is too addled by centuries old champagne and rotten french cheese to reason this out.

biggytitbo

Never understood the obsession with putting sweet and savoury together like it's some kind of contrived mismatched buddy comedy from the 80s. Cheese and pineapple? Dirty. A slow roast beef joint served with creme eggs? NO.

Icehaven

I love sweet and savoury together, pineapple on pizza, raisins in stews, salted caramel, dunno why it's so feared and loathed. I've known at least 2 adults (and not even particularly old ones) pop their eyes at the concept of having apricots in Moroccan lamb stew then go on to demand it in future when they realise what a taste sensation it is. Draw the line at those Fray Bentos steak and kidney bombes though, that's going too far.

Glebe

[tag]Smaug writes to Santa.[/tag]

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kittens on December 07, 2018, 12:35:52 PM

Nobody's gotten fat off sandwiches you wally.

Pies, cakes, crisps, aye. Sandwiches? Nah.

Glebe

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 07, 2018, 12:30:31 PMI propose there should be a savouriness scale so that people can discuss savouriness with a measure of objectivity.

"I think this is an excellent idea,
and you should definitely follow-
through on it, if you'll pardon the
expression."

If you want to know about new scales you should talk to a lizard! Eh? Eh?

He's in oil? Is he a sardine?

Cuellar

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 07, 2018, 12:41:23 PM

I HATE cheese scones

thenoise

In Cornwall, where I live now, our cafe owners are as enterprising as the local diet, and cultural reference points, are limited.  They have come up with the concept of the 'savoury cream tea' - namely, scones with cheese or cream cheese and chutney, instead of the usual jam and clotted cream.  It definitely isn't as savoury as eg a scotched egg or sausaged roll, but it's savoury enough to be called savoury.  So why don't you both go out for cream tea?  You might have to go to Cornwall, unless anywhere else does savoury cream tea, which is probably does, I don't know.

Sebastian Cobb

Scones are shite when you think about it. Too dense and dry (like ur mum, lol).

Emma Raducanu

Duck and waffle mate. Duck, waffle, fried egg with mustard and thyme infused maple syrup. It's what EVERYONE down in London is eating right now.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: icehaven on December 07, 2018, 02:05:58 PM
salted caramel, dunno why it's so feared and loathed.

Cultural conditioning, pure and simple. I was opposed to the very idea of salty toffee until...

I've not had a toke in six months or so due to work restrictions, but (weirdly synchronised with imitationleather's afflictions) I fuckin' broke my fuckin' humerus in two places a few weeks ago, so on Tuesday night after Chonging a couple of sizeable bowls I sprinkled kosher salt into a ramekin and dunked Rolos that had been squeezed just enough so that the caramel ooze picked up the sparkly crystals.

EVERYONE MUST DO THIS.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on December 08, 2018, 11:24:45 PM
Cultural conditioning, pure and simple. I was opposed to the very idea of salty toffee until...

I've not had a toke in six months or so due to work restrictions, but (weirdly synchronised with imitationleather's afflictions) I fuckin' broke my fuckin' humerus in two places a few weeks ago, so on Tuesday night after Chonging a couple of sizeable bowls I sprinkled kosher salt into a ramekin and dunked Rolos that had been squeezed just enough so that the caramel ooze picked up the sparkly crystals.

EVERYONE MUST DO THIS.

GOING TO STORE NOW

edit- FORGOT THE FUCKING ROLO

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on December 07, 2018, 01:20:16 PM
if it was a very fat guy he could have two sets of scales and have one foot on each and add the results up. if it was a tremendously fat guy and he needed more than two scales then that would be a very very fat person indeed.

Rest his tail on the third one maybe

Twit 2

[tag]Nicolas Slonimsky leaves thread disappointed[/tag]