Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Outer Worlds (2019) - Obsidian throw down the gauntlet...

Started by surreal, December 07, 2018, 12:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Launch trailer for the new RPG from Obsidian, just as Bethesda seem to be self-destructing with Fallout 76:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

Very Borderlands / Fallout / Bioshock / Firefly vibe to it.  Looks very pretty too.

Be interesting to see how this pans out, see what the gameplay footage looks like.

bgmnts

If Obsidian make a shit game, the industry is truly fucked.

kittens

i see from the trailer that you do get to brain aliens in this video game. the question is can you nail aliens in this video game. video games are obsessed with braining aliens but when it comes down to it how many games actually let you fully nail an alien with no protection or anything and you see it going in the aliens fanny. very few video games allow this. they will be forever held as a child's plaything until they make the step from braining to nailing. i just want to be able to nail an alien so hard and end up with some truly fucked up hybrid kids which grow up and can be fucked by another character in new game+, but instead we're told to be content with braining alien after alien, never once thinking about their emotional needs or sexual desires.

Mister Six

All that fluid facial animation and the characters all still look dead behind the eyes.

biggytitbo

Quote from: kittens on December 07, 2018, 02:50:43 PM
i see from the trailer that you do get to brain aliens in this video game. the question is can you nail aliens in this video game. video games are obsessed with braining aliens but when it comes down to it how many games actually let you fully nail an alien with no protection or anything and you see it going in the aliens fanny. very few video games allow this. they will be forever held as a child's plaything until they make the step from braining to nailing. i just want to be able to nail an alien so hard and end up with some truly fucked up hybrid kids which grow up and can be fucked by another character in new game+, but instead we're told to be content with braining alien after alien, never once thinking about their emotional needs or sexual desires.

I'm sure you can do this in the new Spiro game.

biggytitbo

Obsidian are owned by Microsoft now so it'll probably be an Xbox One/Two exclusive game.

Also I see there is a post apocalyptic Far Cry game coming out, which might be a bit like Fallout 76 but competently made.

surreal

Zetetic

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 07, 2018, 03:13:39 PM
Also I see there is a post apocalyptic Far Cry game coming out, which might be a bit like Fallout 76 but competently made.
But vacuous to the point of being disgusting. The problem with F76 isn't just that it's buggy, and Far Cry (as the series it is now) is typified by decorating itself with these or those tropes or aesthetics and doing nothing interesting regarding whatever it is that it pretends to be about.

remedial_gash

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 07, 2018, 03:13:39 PM
Obsidian are owned by Microsoft now so it'll probably be an Xbox One/Two exclusive game.

Nah it predates the deal, and is being published on all formats by 'private division' a spinoff off of take 2.

biggytitbo

Ahh I see. Subsequent games will be though surely, or what was the point buying them?

St_Eddie

Coo! No Man's Sky sure has come a long way since its initial release.

Mister Six

Ah, it's a proper RPG? The Fallout 76 reference made me think it was an MMORPG.

Watched the trailer and scrubbed through the gameplay footage and am a bit underwhelmed, at least by the aesthetic. Murky bunkers could have come out of Fallout 3. Those city exteriors and the glowy-eyed goons are pure Borderlands. The jungle looks like No Man's Land. That bloke looks like they were trying to get as close to doing Rick Sanchez as they could get without being sued.

Of course if the game's amazing none of this will matter, and Obsidian have form. But based on my (admittedly rather rushed) run through these vids, I do wish they'd been more ambitious with their design.

I wonder whether you'll be able to shoot the woman at the start, or choose another way to end that confrontation?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on December 10, 2018, 05:06:13 PM
Ah, it's a proper RPG? The Fallout 76 reference made me think it was an MMORPG.

Mate, you're an MMORPG.

Quote from: Mister Six on December 10, 2018, 05:06:13 PM
No Man's Land.

Personally speaking, I'm rather partial to No Man's Island.

monolith

Love the look of it, feels like a cross breed of Fallout, Bioshock and KOTOR. Obsidian games can be a bit buggy on release but the actual games underneath are usually the best RPGs made by anyone these days. Shame about the Microsoft deal, this might be the last great game they release.