Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:03:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

International conferences

Started by Blinder Data, December 07, 2018, 01:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Just attended my first. Despite frequent reminders that it wasn't as good as Budapest 2012, I had a good time. Getting ratted on free booze and dancing to Shania Twain with all flavours of Europeans was fun. Had enough of rich finger food though, and they seem ripe for extramarital affairs.

Do you have conference buddies? Have you had to duck out of an afternoon workshop to vomit? Tell me

shiftwork2

I had a couple of good 'uns in my youth.  Los Angeles was the first, then Chicago.  Now I get to go to Chester every other year.

thraxx

I once ended by having to brief a full UN Assembly Climate Conference by accident. Once I realised That I had been mistakenly put up to speak it was too late to back out, so I just thought fuck it I'm going to do this. It went down very well and I was asked questions by Ukraine and Japan afterwards.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

NAMBLA '18 in St. Louis was well attended and the "Hairiest One" competition was a riot.

BlodwynPig

Many...too many to remember. Palermo last year was probably the only one where I was ducking out for booze, as my Greek colleague joined me. The story he told me about the Chang Mai conference that I missed because of illness...blimey.

Other good ones were Guadalajara 2013 (Tequila!) Singapore 2002 (Superclubs!) and Salt Lake City 2002 (Moose and Bison!). This year was the most extreme, from -20 in Quebec to +35 and floods in New Orleans.

Would be happy with a Chester every 2nd year as they are quite exhausting.

BlodwynPig

buttgammon

Antwerp this year, and a fun week it was too; in 2020, it's Trieste. I have a few conferences up in 2019, but they're all in Ireland so aren't very international, at least as far as I'm concerned.

hamfist

Hamburg and Amsterdam. I had to "man" our exhibition stand, and very dull it was. Next year's Hamburg will be more exciting as I'm running a workshop in one of the rooms, so something to get nice and nervous about.

Quote from: hamfist on December 08, 2018, 07:48:31 AM
Hamburg and Amsterdam. I had to "man" our exhibition stand, and very dull it was.

I had to do the same in Glasgow 1988, on my own over the weekend until the start on Monday. However, our stand was in the style of a Black Country pub, with scratchings, a dartboard and working bar with two whole barrels of Holden's Golden. It was nice.

hamfist

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on December 08, 2018, 08:15:49 AM
I had to do the same in Glasgow 1988, on my own over the weekend until the start on Monday. However, our stand was in the style of a Black Country pub, with scratchings, a dartboard and working bar with two whole barrels of Holden's Golden. It was nice.

Wow !! Sounds way less dull than the software I was demonstrating

mothman

Tampa. In November. It's bizarre that somewhere in the northern hemisphere should be so warm in bloody November. Had never had any desire to go to Florida at all, but I really liked it.

pancreas

They are threatening to cancel our personal research accounts. I have about 4k in mine, still. I think that's one computer and a couple of conferences, then.

I tend to get pissed at conferences and watch very few talks.

Quote from: hamfist on December 08, 2018, 09:17:03 AM
Wow !! Sounds way less dull than the software I was demonstrating

I've had worse weeks at work. The sight of suave Italian guys in sharp suits sipping plastic beakers of Black Country beer and inspecting the hairs on the KVE deep fried pig skin was... incongruous.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on December 08, 2018, 10:16:35 AM
They are threatening to cancel our personal research accounts.

Corporate Bastards!!!