Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Endgame

Started by Phil_A, December 07, 2018, 01:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

That'll be your trailer, then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8

It's not looking good for Tony, but I really doubt they'll have him dying alone out in space. He'll go out doing something incredibly heroic and selfless to complete his character arc.

Mango Chimes

Heartbroken that spoilered text wasn't a "This doesn't look good for Jeremy Corbyn" joke. COME ON, PHIL_A!

Good first trailer, hyped for the film, but the name now revealed is an anti-climax. Didn't they say they 'untitled' it because the name would be a spoiler for Infinity War? That's about as unspoilery and generic a name as possible.

The Culture Bunker

I can't read the word 'endgame' without hearing it in the voice of Principal Skinner.

Custard

Bleakest superhero trailer, evooorrr?

Dark Knight Rises one was quite dark. But this one has Captain USA doing a cry

mothman

Y'know what? I'm calling bullshit on that title. They're gonna change it last minute. "Endgame" is the most overused, hackneyed title possible. Everybody was like, oh please, when it was the title of the last ever episode of Star Trek: Voyager - and that was seventeen years ago!

Also: April, not May. They're bringing it out hot on the heels of Captain Marvel, then. Hence my feeling something in there will tie in to the real title.

Hawkeye does NOT look happy. Did his whole family get ashed? Way to play on my worst fears, Marvel.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: mothman on December 07, 2018, 02:48:08 PMHawkeye does NOT look happy. Did his whole family get ashed? Way to play on my worst fears, Marvel.

He's pissed off he was left out of the last film. He'd've sorted everything out too, with his arrows and that.

Glebe

It doesn't beat about the bush, that trailer... I imagine there'll be several twists and turns in the finished product, natch. Looking forward to it like a big geek in any case.

surreal

Quote from: Phil_A on December 07, 2018, 01:44:12 PM
That'll be your trailer, then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8

It's not looking good for Tony, but I really doubt they'll have him dying alone out in space. He'll go out doing something incredibly heroic and selfless to complete his character arc.

I suspect that he'll be picked up by Captain Marvel.  Either that or his missus will suit up and go get him - isn't she called "rescue" in the comics or something anyway?

Glebe

Quote from: surreal on December 07, 2018, 04:12:02 PMI suspect that he'll be picked up by Captain Marvel.

Then Captain Marvel zapped him right between the eyes... all the children sing!

Small Man Big Horse

My only response to it was "Ugh, Hawkeye", but hopefully he won't be in it too much.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 07, 2018, 04:15:15 PMMy only response to it was "Ugh, Hawkeye", but hopefully he won't be in it too much.

He's 'Ronin; now, apparently. I'm not terribly au fait with the comics.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mothman on December 07, 2018, 02:48:08 PMHawkeye does NOT look happy. Did his whole family get ashed? Way to play on my worst fears, Marvel.
Seemed pretty obvious they were going down that route whenever it was announced Barton would be in this film. Gives him a good reason to sign up for a probable suicide mission with a 1% chance of bringing his wife and kids back.

mothman

Yeah. But as I've always said, there's a reason why the original six Avengers didn't get ashed. They didn't save the world, but they will avenge it... by, er, going back in time and saving it properly this time, seems to be the prevailing wisdom.

The Culture Bunker

Do we really need to hide "spoiler" text that is only speculation? Unless someone on here wrote the script, of course.

My own interpretation of what you say is that the six of them were left alive because they'll be the ones who sacrifice themselves to avenge/save half the universe. Which then makes room for the next wave - presumably including the Fantastic Four.

mothman

I'm not sure, frankly. Others were doing it so I did to. I'm easily led.

I don't think they'll all die. At least one will - I reckon it'll be Cap. Natasha and Bruce might finally get it together and live happily ever after; Clint will get his family back; Thor has his people (what's left of them) to lead; and I'd like to see Tony have a happy ending. That's  y wish, I doubt it'll come true.

Then, a few years down the line, if the MCU remains a going concern, the characters can be rebooted or replaced as heroes by new individuals.

The Culture Bunker

Well, we THINK Thor has his people. We've no idea if Thanos let anyone off that ship before he blew it up.

But the reason for my thinking was that they have to do something to justify nixing all those who turned into fagash. Thus, all the original generation of Avengers are gone, GONE, GONE! And the likes of Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther take up the mantle, along with this kung-fu character that nobody had heard of.

mothman

Thanos was all about only killing 50% of any given population, and it was confirmed that Valkyrie isn't dead, so the assumption is that at least 25% of them are still alive (once half the original remainder had been ashed). So Valhalla remains, though it's probably a Smallrooma at this point (I came up with this joke before I remembered the place that Thor's people live in/make is called Asgard).

Penfold

I'm curious about Ant-Man now that he's appeared in this trailer after the ending of the very enjoyable Ant-Man and The Wasp.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Penfold on December 07, 2018, 05:52:57 PM
I'm curious about Ant-Man now that he's appeared in this trailer after the ending of the very enjoyable Ant-Man and The Wasp.
Presumably being in the Quantum Realm protected him from the finger-click, it being some other plain of reality/existence or whatever.

Quite how he got out of there when Hank, Hope and Janet weren't there to help out is another matter. Would be cool if it turned out Reed Richards has sussed it out, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Penfold

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 07, 2018, 06:04:33 PM
Presumably being in the Quantum Realm protected him from the finger-click, it being some other plain of reality/existence or whatever.

Quite how he got out of there when Hank, Hope and Janet weren't there to help out is another matter. Would be cool if it turned out Reed Richards has sussed it out, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

I hadn't considered the Quantum Realm part, just how he got out. I just assumed the 50% extinction missed him out, although with how chippy he is in the trailer I assume all his other friends and family survived.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Penfold on December 07, 2018, 06:10:30 PM
I hadn't considered the Quantum Realm part, just how he got out. I just assumed the 50% extinction missed him out, although with how chippy he is in the trailer I assume all his other friends and family survived.
I'm guessing the scene in the trailer in some time into the future, so Cap and Black Widow are just surprised to see he wasn't part of the Thanos click. Wasn't the role of his daughter recast to someone about ten years older than the girl from the Ant-Man films? He may be chippy because he's no real idea of what happened - just knew shit had gone down and trailed cross country to the Avengers base in Luis' van.

Penfold

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 07, 2018, 06:34:47 PM
I'm guessing the scene in the trailer in some time into the future, so Cap and Black Widow are just surprised to see he wasn't part of the Thanos click. Wasn't the role of his daughter recast to someone about ten years older than the girl from the Ant-Man films? He may be chippy because he's no real idea of what happened - just knew shit had gone down and trailed cross country to the Avengers base in Luis' van.

Going from the trailer it had Scott Lang's face appear on the floaty screens with the other missing, which apparently includes an unmasked Spider-Man who posed for a mugshot at one time?, so Cap and Widow assumed he was gone like the rest which is why they would be surprised he appeared.

I don't know about casting decisions but I'm pretty sure it was the same actress playing his daughter in both Ant-Man films, no idea if they're changing it for future ones.

I think Scott would look for answers about Hope/Janet/Hank when returning from the Quantum Realm and if everyone else he knew was gone he would be very angry when turning up at wherever Cap and Widow are in the trailer rather than being Paul Rudd.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Penfold on December 07, 2018, 06:55:07 PMI don't know about casting decisions but I'm pretty sure it was the same actress playing his daughter in both Ant-Man films, no idea if they're changing it for future ones.
It seems the actress playing Cassie in Endgame is different - she's 17, compared to the (currently) 10-year-old lassie from Ant-Man films.  That does suggest a time skip.

Spiteface

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 07, 2018, 06:58:55 PM
It seems the actress playing Cassie in Endgame is different - she's 17, compared to the (currently) 10-year-old lassie from Ant-Man films.  That does suggest a time skip.

Isn't it understood that this one takes place 5 years after the snap?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Spiteface on December 07, 2018, 08:26:55 PM
Isn't it understood that this one takes place 5 years after the snap?
I had read people suggesting it, but nothing official, though it certainly makes sense given how surprised they are to see Scott if he's been thought dead for five years.

Other thing I noticed from trailer: no Rocket.

mothman

No Banner or Rhodesy either? In fact couldn't really see who else was on the Grauniads' ship. Only one I can remember surviving was Nebula.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mothman on December 07, 2018, 08:36:08 PM
No Banner or Rhodesy either? In fact couldn't really see who else was on the Grauniads' ship. Only one I can remember surviving was Nebula.
Banner appears briefly, looking at pics of those thought gone, in particular Scott.

Presumably Nebula and Stark had a falling-out over something, if they're not on that spaceship together (though they might well be).

mothman

Also, how is Stark's helmet still in one piece when it was part of the nano-suit (I forget what name the armour had in the comics)?

Lord Mandrake

Nebs puts a hand on Tonys shoulder. Rocket has probably gone feral. I noticed Shuri was ond of the missing. I like the theory that Dr Strange will have travelled back to the 90s to give Nick Fury the Avengers initiative idea and the Endgame is his twenty year, one in 14million or whatever successful outcome. Cant Antman just grow out of the Quatum realm like he did in Antman? Either way his nonchalance probably points to him being the man with the plan.

colacentral

Nebula probably jacked off that everyone died to save Tony would be my guess for why she's left him there.

Title is bollocks - I'd put money on it originally being something different, but internet pressure to have some exciting title led them to change it to Endgame, being the one that the majority of internet people predicted. It's shite, just about the worst title imagineable. Should've called it Avengers 4.