Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Endgame

Started by Phil_A, December 07, 2018, 01:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Cuellar on February 04, 2019, 04:51:19 PM
And, if you can literally change reality to be whatever you want, why not create twice the amount of resources rather than killing half the people.
Because Thanos is a baddie and only thinks of bad solutions to things. It's a bit like that scene in Raging Bull, when Jake LaMotta destroys his championship belt in order to pawn the worthless diamonds embedded in it.

Of course, it wouldn't have been an issue if the writers had stuck with his motivation from the comics. Then again, can you imagine all the MRA/incel types venting spleen about Lady Death being at fault for the universal genocide? It'd be Infinity Culture War.

Blumf

At 1% growth rate, the population would recover in about 70 years. Is Thanos just going to repeatedly click every few decades for the rest of eternity? Sounds boring mate.

Cuellar

Definitely didn't think it through. What a jerk.

Why did all their clothes and stuff disappear when he did the thing? It was just to eliminate life, wasn't it? I was just thinking wouldn't it have been good if he'd snapped his fingers and HE'D died, and his glove just went up in smoke.

phantom_power

The biggest plot hole in Infinity War is why didn't Dr Strange bust out the time turner whenever things went bad to have another go?

Mister Six

Because the time turner is one of the Infinity Stones and Thanos nabs it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on February 04, 2019, 07:51:43 PM
Because the time turner is one of the Infinity Stones and Thanos nabs it.

He could have done it before it was nabbed though. Wasn't it one of the last ones to be nabbed?

Lord Mandrake

When he tried using it against Ebony Maw, he could'nt bust out the hand gestures quick enough, on Titan Thanos explicitly goes "Ohh youve got a lot of skills doc but you never used your biggest weapon" ie; the time stone.

So I reckon he did use it. When he plucks it out the sky hes really plucking it out of time. Thanos is a bit didgy about it and gives Strange a sceptical look. How come Thors new hammer can literally dominate all six stones? And, And! The snap actually fucked the gauntlet, its fucked.

Pseudopath

Strange has also seen all possible outcomes and knows there's only one series of events which results in Thanos being defeated, so giving up the time stone and having half the universe get destroyed must form part of that future.

Custard

I don't think Strange really saw all possible outcomes, as he was only looking for twenty seconds. I reckon he saw more like 10 or 11 possible outcomes. But 4 million sounds more impressive

Ferris

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 04, 2019, 09:17:15 PM
I don't think Strange really saw all possible outcomes, as he was only looking for twenty seconds. I reckon he saw more like 10 or 11 possible outcomes. But 4 million sounds more impressive

I wonder if he saw the outcome where they all lost, but he got off with captain America. I bet he did, the dirty old bollocks. Bet he had a right old look.

garnish

No one picked up on Daredevil in the background of the bit where the super heros are all walking in line together on the grass? Thought you'd all be shitting your pants at that.

Ferris

Quote from: garnish on February 04, 2019, 10:25:35 PM
No one picked up on Daredevil in the background of the bit where the super heros are all walking in line together on the grass? Thought you'd all be shitting your pants at that.

Strange had a good old look at the outcome where he got off with all of them and all. A nice long look, the filth-merchant.

Huh?

garnish

He's in there having a wave at them

chveik

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 04, 2019, 09:10:10 PM
Strange has also seen all possible outcomes and knows there's only one series of events which results in Thanos being defeated, so giving up the time stone and having half the universe get destroyed must form part of that future.

that's quite suprising though (from an ethical point of view), for a fantasy film, or any film really, that a protagonist has to sacrifice half of the universe for the greater good. also, even if time travel is involved, people that have been dead cannot really come back to life without altering the parameters of the whole universe itself. or maybe I'm just a pedant, but I prefer when science fiction/fantasy stuff are a bit more consistent. perhaps the second film will find  a perfect answer to these questions, but I doubt it.

Lord Mandrake

I've studied that scene for several hours now, altering contrasts etc.. And I'm not sure your being completely forthright. I did however read a theory that someone has been clearly erased from in between Rhodey & Banner, either Okoye, Shuri, Valkyrie, Loki or Cap Marvel.

mothman

Have you capped it at all?

I think garnish is up to some shenanigans.

garnish

Quote from: mothman on February 05, 2019, 06:58:11 PM
Have you capped it at all?

All I'll say is, 'the devil is in the detail'.

wooders1978

I think it *might* have been mentioned elsewhere on the Internet were it the case

One can only imagine the indignant splutterings that would arise if he did turn up.

"Oh, so now I have to watch three series of some television show, just to understand what's happening in a film? Cinema as we know it is dead!"

samadriel

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 07, 2019, 03:13:03 PM
One can only imagine the indignant splutterings that would arise if he did turn up.

"Oh, so now I have to watch three series of some television show, just to understand what's happening in a film? Cinema as we know it is dead!"

I mean, they wouldn't be wrong.

phantom_power

So is the fact that Stark doesn't appear outside of that wrecked spaceship a hint or a red herring?

The Infinity War trailer showed the Hulk participating in the Wakanda battle, so they're obviously not above telling some porkies about who does what. I reckon there's very little chance they wouldn't show the original team reunited at some point, especially if this is the swansong for a bunch of them.

VelourSpirit

Lovely trailer. Ant-Man discovering the world's gone fucked could be a good sequence. They're really gonna get to do some fuckin avenging in this film.

Arsene Wenger's Post-match.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 14, 2019, 01:52:03 PM
I mean, they wouldn't be wrong.
Oh, sure they would. With all the complaints about continuity and that, no one ever seems to realise they could just read the synopses on Wikipedia.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 14, 2019, 02:52:49 PM
So is the fact that Stark doesn't appear outside of that wrecked spaceship a hint or a red herring?
Having watched the trailer again, he does appear with the rest of them - https://youtu.be/TcMBFSGVi1c?t=117

Glebe

Kelvin

Crap trailer. Basically a rehash of both the last one and the far superior ones for Infinity War. Plus, those white suits look properly awful in the closing shots, at least out of context.

Oh, and Thor acts like a right bullying cunt at the end.