Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Endgame

Started by Phil_A, December 07, 2018, 01:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mothman on December 07, 2018, 08:52:41 PM
Also, how is Stark's helmet still in one piece when it was part of the nano-suit (I forget what name the armour had in the comics)?
Utterly uneducated guess: when it runs out of power, it reverts to "full size" form.

That particular part must be soon after Thanos does his thing, as Stark doesn't look like a man who's been adrift at sea for five years.

mothman

Avengers Infinity War Part 2 would have been better. Avengers Reborn. Avengers Rematch. Avengers: Quantum Boogaloo. But, Endgame? Jesus wept.

The Culture Bunker

Avengers: Infinity Plus One, in honour of the old schoolyard insult.

mothman

How is "Endgame" worse than "Infinity War" or any other Marvel title? Who cares about the title?

I assume the plot has to involve them tricking Thanos into using his magic universe powers to somehow reverse everything (some type of game/challenge), and then outsmarting him.

Penfold

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 07, 2018, 11:59:40 PM
How is "Endgame" worse than "Infinity War" or any other Marvel title? Who cares about the title?

I assume the plot has to involve them tricking Thanos into using his magic universe powers to somehow reverse everything (some type of game/challenge), and then outsmarting him.

+1 Shawarma

mothman

I've been reminded that Strange said "we're in the endgame now" before he was ashed. So it might just have to do.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: colacentral on December 07, 2018, 09:01:12 PM
Nebula probably jacked off

That wasn't an official Marvel film you were watching

Considering they definitely (I don't know, maybe, I think, possibly) said they were withholding the title because it was a spoiler, I was expecting Avengers: After Half Of Everyone Turned To Ash or Avengers: Thanos Won The Last One or something.

Head Gardener

Antman to go super small, get inside Thanos and smash him up from the inside I know nahfin

monolith

It would be quite amusing if after over a dozen films, the character called "Ant-Man", who has the powers of an ant, will be the one to save the universe.

Ant Man.

Custard

I reckon The Wasp's Mum Michelle Phieffer will save the day. In her Grease 2 Pink Ladies jacket

monolith

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 08, 2018, 12:22:50 PM
I reckon The Wasp's Mum Michelle Phieffer will save the day.
Unlikely, I would think, because she is dust.

Custard

MuteBanana

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 08, 2018, 06:59:16 AM
Antman to go super small, get inside Thanos and smash him up from the inside I know nahfin

Heard Ant Man tries to grow inside Thanos to tear him apart but Thanos just holds him in. Clench. Then walks around with a 40% Ant Man inside him.

greenman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 07, 2018, 08:33:40 PM
I had read people suggesting it, but nothing official, though it certainly makes sense given how surprised they are to see Scott if he's been thought dead for five years.

Other thing I noticed from trailer: no Rocket.

The main hint at that would seem to be Hawk, going from "house arrest" to some mysterious backstreet samurai/ninja Widow has to track down seems to imply a good deal of time has past.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: greenman on December 08, 2018, 08:44:58 PM
The main hint at that would seem to be Hawk, going from "house arrest" to some mysterious backstreet samurai/ninja Widow has to track down seems to imply a good deal of time has past.
As aforementioned, that they cast an actress seven years older to play Ant-Man's daughter backs that up. But presumably there's a bit dealing with the immediate aftermath of Thanos' deed as there's no way the scene of Stark in space is years after the fact.

Also - Scott Lang turning up in the van that had the thingy the send someone into the quantum realm is surely a plot point? Maybe Stark gets home just in time to suss out how to use it.

mothman

It could be that Fury was sending a message to Marvel because she's off-world (we'll see how her film ends first, obviously) and that she's being summoned back to earth (after all, where has an alien-powered superhero like her been up to now?). Maybe she'll encounter Stark in her way, but it still takes them years to get back for some reason.

mjwilson

Oh I assumed he was sending a message back in time (because of the pager) but your way works.

Mister Six

Quote from: mjwilson on December 09, 2018, 07:09:19 PM
Oh I assumed he was sending a message back in time (because of the pager) but your way works.

Looks like Marvel is basically a Green Lantern-type space cop who's usually busy dealing with intergalactic problems and doesn't have time for trouble on Earth unless it's Serious Business. I imagine the pager is what she left him with in the 90s and he's been holding onto it ever since.

It does raise the question of what SHIELD was up to between the mid-90s and Fury contacting Iron Man in 2008 though. Maybe Fury didn't have enough authority to kick off the Avengers Initiative until then? Aside from Cap and Winter Soldier, did the MCU (and its telly offshoots) have superheroes and villains between WWII and the late 2000s?

The Culture Bunker

That Fury's instant reaction is to send a page to Marvel suggests he had some inkling of what Thanos was up to.

Would have been funny if Marvel had been one of those turned to dust, obv.

MuteBanana

The criticisms of the title Endgame have gone completely over my head.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 09, 2018, 07:24:02 PM
That Fury's instant reaction is to send a page to Marvel suggests he had some inkling of what Thanos was up to.

Not sure how he could have known that. More like he's run out of heroes: Tony Stark (who was contacted by SHIELD at the start, right?), Spider-Man and Dr Strange have all disappeared following a fight with an alien in public and a visitation by a spacecraft. Thor and Hulk are AWOL off-world. Cap, Bucky, Black Widow, Vision and Wanda are all fugitives. Black Panther is a foreign dignitary with no affiliation to SHIELD. War Machine was last seen flying to Wakanda on Tony's request. Fury might be aware of the fight in Wakanda, but probably not of the details.

Ant-Man is (or isn't - continuity fuckup!) under house arrest, as is Hawkeye, but they're hardly big guns in this situation, and things are rapidly deteriorating, with swathes of the Earth's population turning to dust. It's not unreasonable to assume that the heroes might be suffering that too.

So yeah. Planetary extinction event, heroes inaccessible - call in the biggest gun of all and hope that will sort it out.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on December 09, 2018, 07:33:57 PM
Not sure how he could have known that. More like he's run out of heroes: Tony Stark (who was contacted by SHIELD at the start, right?), Spider-Man and Dr Strange have all disappeared following a fight with an alien in public and a visitation by a spacecraft. Thor and Hulk are AWOL off-world. Cap, Bucky, Black Widow, Vision and Wanda are all fugitives. Black Panther is a foreign dignitary with no affiliation to SHIELD. War Machine was last seen flying to Wakanda on Tony's request. Fury might be aware of the fight in Wakanda, but probably not of the details.

Ant-Man is (or isn't - continuity fuckup!) under house arrest, as is Hawkeye, but they're hardly big guns in this situation, and things are rapidly deteriorating, with swathes of the Earth's population turning to dust. It's not unreasonable to assume that the heroes might be suffering that too.

So yeah. Planetary extinction event, heroes inaccessible - call in the biggest gun of all and hope that will sort it out.
More thinking that surely word was out in the galaxy of Thanos' plans. I'm sure he had been working on it for many, many years, so perhaps Marvel says to Fury back in the 1990s - "oh, by the way, that insane dude from Titan is trying to collect these stones because he..."

It's just how I read Fury's reaction - like he knows what is happening and who is behind it. I know I am doubtless very, very wrong.

MuteBanana

I don't think you are. If we have to accept these superheroes its not out of the question to believe in very smart men like Fury. As you say Thanos would be known of and so Fury may have been preparing for this possible day for sometime. Along with the fact there was nobody he was able to reach, thinking quickly and addressing the situation of members of the public disappearing, Marvel was an obvious person to contact.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 09, 2018, 07:45:47 PM
More thinking that surely word was out in the galaxy of Thanos' plans. I'm sure he had been working on it for many, many years, so perhaps Marvel says to Fury back in the 1990s - "oh, by the way, that insane dude from Titan is trying to collect these stones because he...".

Ah you might be right there.

mothman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 09, 2018, 07:24:02 PM
Would have been funny if Marvel had been one of those turned to dust, obv.

I've wondered if, given the random nature of the event, there might have been a possibility that Thanos would get ashed. His last act is him frantically clicking his fingers again and again, muttering "Undo! Cancel! Reset!"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 09, 2018, 07:28:49 PM
The criticisms of the title Endgame have gone completely over my head.
Some people really hate Samuel Beckett.

Custard

They should have called it Avengers Revengers

brat-sampson

My random theory, they found that Rudd was in the quantum realm, then are surprised to see him because he came out before they started talking to him, because of time-holes or whatnot. When we see him outside, he's both at the same time, and has no idea.