Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:00:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Endgame

Started by Phil_A, December 07, 2018, 01:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

I believe most, if not all, of the original Avengers actors have their contracts coming to an end, so any actors who are bored of it are likely to bow out, or maybe pop in for future films for cameos. (They're talking about a Black Widow film so I guess they can always throw bags of cash at anyone they want back in.)

You missed out Captain Marvel from the next Avengers team but otherwise I think you're pretty much right. I'm sure there will eventually be recasts for the biggest characters but I think they will want to use the newbies for a good few years.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Recasting is not unprecedented in the series, but I can't imagine Downey or Chris Evans being easily replaced any time soon.

The Culture Bunker

I'd imagine Steve Rogers and Stark will on the last round. Maybe Thor and Hulk too. Chris Evans certainly suggested he was done with the character recently, I think.

They've now got Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel for some new team, plus the Fantastic Four will doubtless get another spin with the hope the Marvel formula does whatever the previous efforts didn't. Reed Richards works well as a replacement "insufferable genius" for Stark, Ben Grimm as the muscle instead of the Hulk.

Trying to think of other characters they could dig out... Spider-Woman and Moon Knight, perhaps? Ghost Rider appeared in "Agents of SHIELD" but perhaps they'd dig out the Johnny Blaze version again.

chveik

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 24, 2018, 12:38:14 PM
Trying to think of other characters they could dig out... Spider-Woman and Moon Knight, perhaps? Ghost Rider appeared in "Agents of SHIELD" but perhaps they'd dig out the Johnny Blaze version again.

She-Hulk

The Culture Bunker

MuteBanana

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 24, 2018, 12:36:28 PM
Recasting is not unprecedented in the series, but I can't imagine Downey or Chris Evans being easily replaced any time soon.

This is why a new team makes sense to me. Give the audience a break from them and then recast in a few years time.

mjwilson

The latest stories suggested that Netflix, not Marvel, cancelled Daredevil, so maybe they could make a film with him in. If not then Squirrel Girl.

sirhenry

My guess is that Strange saved Stark because he's essential to the One True Way that Strange found. So there will be another showdown between Stark and Thanos where Stark points out that lopping off half the universe isn't a solution as everyone will breed back to the same point in a handful of generations. So the best solution is to make everyone who isn't Thanos understand the problem by doubling the population rather than halving it. Thanos sees the light and clicks his heels.
Thus giving birth to a whole new walletful of mutant movie heroes.

Oh, and Ms. Marvel is involved a bit.

Squirrel Girl FTW will presumably be the next gen quirky Deadpool-style hit.

Mister Six

I don't think they're likely to recast anyone in the foreseeable future, just swap them out for other, newer characters as actors get weary and drop out. Marvel has about 60 years of superheros after all. And for some characters, like Cap, they can keep the superhero alias but hand the role on to another character like Bucky or Falcon - as happened in the comics.

I expect the next Avengers-type event movie or movies will merge the universe in with the X-Men films, which will also give it an injection of new (or at least different) blood.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 24, 2018, 12:38:14 PM
Spider-Woman

All the Spidey characters are owned by Sony, so outside of the core characters needed for crossovers with Spider-Man himself I doubt you'll see Marvel proper getting involved with them too much, if at all.

I would like to see more street-level heroes like Spider-Man, mind you. That film meshed the mundane and the spectacular beautifully, and the confrontation at the end had a lot more meaning than some other ultra-powered megahero blasting away at countless splashy pixels.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on December 24, 2018, 04:39:08 PMAll the Spidey characters are owned by Sony, so outside of the core characters needed for crossovers with Spider-Man himself I doubt you'll see Marvel proper getting involved with them too much, if at all.
I'd considered Spider-Woman to be somewhat separate from Spider-Man and not a part of his "universe", so to speak, and thus wouldn't be part of the Sony thing (unlike the way I imagine She-Hulk is part of the same package that goes with the Hulk rights). I stand to be told I'm totally wrong.

Your comment about street-level heroes would surely apply to Daredevil, though I imagine Marvel would recast the character rather than use Charlie Cox. I do remember saying about Bucky taking on the Cap America role, and the consensus on here was that he (character or actor) didn't have the chops for it.

mjwilson

Sony put a whole bunch of Spiders into Spider-verse so I imagine they have all the associated characters including spin-offs.

The Culture Bunker

Did they use Jessica Drew? That I can remember, her powers/origin story was very different from Peter Parker's, so they could use that to claim her as a separate intellectual if they wanted (which I doubt, to be honest, was just throwing 'new' names about). I do recall her being part of Iron Man's team in his early 90s cartoon, along with Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch (plus War Machine, natch), though a quick Google tells me that wasn't the Jessica Drew version so, erm, forget everything I said.

Custard

I would like to see their take on Dr. Doom, too. Maybe he'll be the next big baddie. Bring it down a bit, after the hugeness of Thanos

X-Men and Fantastic Four will deffo be recast, as Feige doesn't like bringing in other studio's ideas of characters

Now we just need them to get the rights for the DCU, and we'll be laughing

mjwilson

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 24, 2018, 06:10:43 PM
Did they use Jessica Drew? That I can remember, her powers/origin story was very different from Peter Parker's, so they could use that to claim her as a separate intellectual if they wanted (which I doubt, to be honest, was just throwing 'new' names about). I do recall her being part of Iron Man's team in his early 90s cartoon, along with Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch (plus War Machine, natch), though a quick Google tells me that wasn't the Jessica Drew version so, erm, forget everything I said.

Consider it done.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 24, 2018, 06:10:43 PM
Did they use Jessica Drew? That I can remember, her powers/origin story was very different from Peter Parker's, so they could use that to claim her as a separate intellectual if they wanted

Sony owns the rights to something like 900 Marvel characters, which I'm pretty certain will include all versions of Spider-Woman as well as any similar works. If Marvel were to attempt a straight-up (ie. not parodic) Spider-Woman character with the names filed off they'd likely still face a rebuke from Sony.

And why bother? They have Spider-Man proper in the MCU after all.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on December 24, 2018, 11:02:27 PM
Sony owns the rights to something like 900 Marvel characters, which I'm pretty certain will include all versions of Spider-Woman as well as any similar works. If Marvel were to attempt a straight-up (ie. not parodic) Spider-Woman character with the names filed off they'd likely still face a rebuke from Sony.

And why bother? They have Spider-Man proper in the MCU after all.
Aye, no doubt. I was just musing in a Crimbe-related semi drunken fashion of what characters Marvel would fancy cashing in on. But in reality, surely it's Fantastic Four first? Then X-Men down the line, when Sony has finished up with the whole thing they're doing now and enough time has passed.

Mister Six

Aye, sorry for being a bit of a humbug. I'd be astonished if there wasn't an FF movie announced within a couple of years, yeah. But I think after Infinity War, an Earths collide/X-Men merging adventure would be the next logical big event story. Unless they want to have another middling Age of Ultron film to pad things out.

Not about the Sony bit. You mean the former Fox studio dealing with the X properties? You're probably right. Just took a look and it seems that outside of Deadpool (which is in its own little bubble anyway) and it's spinoffs, they only have three X-films from now to 2020 and nothing concrete beyond: Dark Phoenix with Sophie Turner from Game of Thrones; The New Mutants, a "horror" X-film that's been pushed back a year for reshoots to make it scarier; and Gambit, which doesn't have a director at the moment.

Beyond that there are plans for a spinoff for the girl from Logan, sequels to The New Mutants, and films for Multiple Man and Kitty Pryde. But they're all in pre-production.

I doubt they'd knock out another Avengers movie as soon as 2020. There were three years between Ultron and Infinity War, and I don't think much other than another Spider-Man flick is planned past Endgame. A big MCU/X-Men crossover coming somewhere around 2023 feels right.

olliebean

This is going to be the longest Marvel film so far, apparently. At around 3 fucking hours, they just destroyed any chance I and my dodgy prostate are going to sit through this at the cinema.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on December 25, 2018, 12:53:42 AMNot about the Sony bit. You mean the former Fox studio dealing with the X properties? You're probably right. Just took a look and it seems that outside of Deadpool (which is in its own little bubble anyway) and it's spinoffs, they only have three X-films from now to 2020 and nothing concrete beyond: Dark Phoenix with Sophie Turner from Game of Thrones; The New Mutants, a "horror" X-film that's been pushed back a year for reshoots to make it scarier; and Gambit, which doesn't have a director at the moment.

Beyond that there are plans for a spinoff for the girl from Logan, sequels to The New Mutants, and films for Multiple Man and Kitty Pryde. But they're all in pre-production.

I doubt they'd knock out another Avengers movie as soon as 2020. There were three years between Ultron and Infinity War, and I don't think much other than another Spider-Man flick is planned past Endgame. A big MCU/X-Men crossover coming somewhere around 2023 feels right.
Yes, sorry, I meant Fox (again, blame the beer). To be honest, I've never been that impressed with the X-Men films, but we'll see. I'm not sure how a character like Magneto would work outside his context as a Holocaust survivor, for one thing.

Mister Six

Yeah, Logan's the only proper X-Men film that I think is genuinely good. And First Class to a lesser extent. The rest of them are either all right but never really clicked for me, or are straight-up pish.

Good point about Magneto. Not sure what his history is supposed to be in the films now. I suppose you could de-age him to a five or six year old or something in the Holocaust but that's only going to buy you another six years or so of the actor's life.

mothman

The first X-Men film was pretty revelatory at the time. The genre has moved on a lot since then so it's easy to dismiss it in hindsight. But it was the first of a new breed of superhero film, following after the  debacle that was Batman & Robin.

Sure it bears harbingers of the ensemble-superhero film problems that would get its own franchise bogged down after only three or four installments. But because of what it led on to, I'd put it in a list of the top ten *most important* comic-book movies of all time.

bgmnts

I decided to watch Infinitt Final Wars or whatever the last one is called. I have only watched a couple of Marvel films in the past 10 years so I barely know whats happening.

Some bady guys want to destroy half the universe, lots of good guys try and stop it. Good enough for me.

The dialogue in these Marvel films is absolutely fucking unbearable though. Joss Whedon turned up to 11.

I also hope Scarlett Johansson's arse gets as much screentime as possible.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on December 25, 2018, 10:14:10 PM
The first X-Men film was pretty revelatory at the time. The genre has moved on a lot since then so it's easy to dismiss it in hindsight. But it was the first of a new breed of superhero film, following after the  debacle that was Batman & Robin.

Sure it bears harbingers of the ensemble-superhero film problems that would get its own franchise bogged down after only three or four installments. But because of what it led on to, I'd put it in a list of the top ten *most important* comic-book movies of all time.

Yeah, okay. It's still only all right though, albeit with some good moments (concentration camp, Logan's windshield debacle, the subway scene) and a nice relationship between Logan and Rogue. That's what I thought then and a rewatch hasn't been much kinder. But the X-Men comics are made for a soap opera TV series and not a series of films shot years apart anyway.

bgmnts

Nah I reckon Blade did it before X Men.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on December 25, 2018, 02:27:39 PMGood point about Magneto. Not sure what his history is supposed to be in the films now.

It's the same. There may be a divergence now from Days Of Future Past in the 70s, but his early life is supposed to be the same character.

Which means McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence are now all supposed to be in their late-50s/early-60s in the new film. Which is set about ten years before X-Men, when Stewart and McKellen were actually that age, but I guess have been retconned to have been playing older. It's a mess, due to the pointless decision to make the prequel films all set a decade apart.

Mister Six

I meant in the comics. D'oh! X-Men movie continuity has always been garbage, mind you.

Quote from: bgmnts on December 26, 2018, 12:31:31 PM
Nah I reckon Blade did it before X Men.

Did what? X-Men is pretty widely accepted to be the beginning point for the current superhero fad. Blade did well but at the time it wasn't particularly well recognised as a comic book adaptation, and it's hardly a conventional capes 'n' powers story in the way that X-Men is.

Catalogue Trousers

bgmnts

Quote from: Mister Six on December 26, 2018, 01:26:15 PM
I meant in the comics. D'oh! X-Men movie continuity has always been garbage, mind you.

Did what? X-Men is pretty widely accepted to be the beginning point for the current superhero fad. Blade did well but at the time it wasn't particularly well recognised as a comic book adaptation, and it's hardly a conventional capes 'n' powers story in the way that X-Men is.

Blade paved the way I think. It's a top film.

mothman

Given most of the original trilogy (XM, XM2, XMTLS and, I guess TW too but not some parts of XMOW) have been changed because of XMDoFP, you'd think they'd be keen to make more with the prequel films cast. Especially with Stewart and McKellen unwilling or increasingly likely unable to take on the roles once the prequels "catch up." And really with limited clues from the end of DoFP and Logan (and, I guess, the Deadpool films) as to what happens in the intervening (new version) period they have a blank slate. So I don't see why they're not making the most of it. Unless as Mr6 says the overall concept lends itself better to a TV show rather than one film every 2/3 years.

The Culture Bunker

I never quite understood how in "Days of Future Past", Professor X is clearly still in a sturdy state of mental health but in Logan (when he surely must be the same age), he's a complete wreck. Ditto Wolverine with his healing power gone to cock.

But I digress. Another thing that makes me think X-Men is best kept separate from the MCU is that there's so bloody many of them (even moreso if you chuck in the Brotherhood of Mutants) - any film with all that lot in is going to cost a bomb just for the cast and catering.