Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Individuals that seem the most unchanged by power/fame

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, December 07, 2018, 05:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Anyone got any good suggestions?

I imagine that bloke who got caught masturbating in slurry in Ireland has let the fame go to his head. But there must be some politicians/celebs/sportfolk that haven't changed a bit and treat the imposters of triumph and disaster just the same.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Apart from when drugs got the better of him in his final years, Elvis Presley - one of the most famous human beings of the 20th century - always remained humble, shy and polite right up until the end, when he died on the toilet with the utmost deference.

I am aware, of course, that he probably had sex with Priscilla when she was underage, which no amount of humble southern charm can excuse. Just thought I'd mention that before anyone else does.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Sebastian Cobb

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Steven Spielberg- quite happy to wander round the Chinatown bit of New York , baseball cap upon head, unfettered by minders, if you choose to believe that Cock and Bull story that St. Eddie has tried to foist on us all.

From what I can recall, Arthur Lowe seemed pretty unchanged by fame when I saw him in Marks & Spencer, Wolverhampton (a very long time ago, before he died).

Sebastian Cobb

I know fame probably did change them, but I like seeing in archive footage golden-age actors like Bogart and Bacall picketing alongside the unionised crew members to help them get better rights.

Despite accepting a knighthood, Kenny Dalglish still looks and sounds a bit like some kind of slightly shy, mumbling bloke you might encounter in a pub on the Maryhill Road. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 07, 2018, 08:04:18 PM
Despite accepting a knighthood, Kenny Dalglish still looks and sounds a bit like some kind of slightly shy, mumbling bloke you might encounter in a pub on the Maryhill Road.

Is being thick an advantage - seems to be in this context.

biggytitbo

Brundle-Fly

Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Arguably, one of the most recognised and successful comedy actors in British TV history but has always kept his head down, his family out the public eye, never played the fame game and still lives in the same small town in East Sussex. He rarely does interviews and considers himself a jobbing actor who just got very lucky. Much respected in the profession and nobody has a bad word to say about him. Astonishing really.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 07, 2018, 08:57:06 PM
Is being thick an advantage - seems to be in this context.

Bit harsh - plenty of thickos in the football world and elsewhere have ridiculous pretensions and affectations.  I've no particular affection for Dalglish but he does appear completely devoid of affectation (unlike, say, Billy Connolly, from a similar background).

While it's probably reasonable to say that Connolly is a tad more sophisticated in his thinking, Dalglish did attend a Senior Secondary (according to Wikipedia) so (if my knowledge of the 1950s Scottish school system is correct), did at least pass the 11+

Brian Freeze

Jack Russell? - the keeper of wickets not the small annoying dog.

Norton Canes

Geraint Thomas

All cyclists, in fact

Hang on. Most cyclists

biggytitbo

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 07, 2018, 09:35:16 PM
Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Arguably, one of the most recognised and successful comedy actors in British TV history but has always kept his head down, his family out the public eye, never played the fame game and still lives in the same small town in East Sussex. He rarely does interviews and considers himself a jobbing actor who just got very lucky. Much respected in the profession and nobody has a bad word to say about him. Astonishing really.

Down to the last two for the part of Christian Grey in 50 shades of grey too, but turned up late for the final audition after he got a flat tyre on his bike.

Cuellar

My friend Chris. He has no power or fame and consequently has not changed.

Sebastian Cobb

Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Really? I always felt there was a bit of a chip on his shoulder about rodders being his most celebrated role, a bit like Richard E Grant and Withnail.

Sebastian Cobb

Although that makes me think about Patrick Stewart. He always seems quite humble, and while he definitely won't put his name to shite he'll clearly do daft roles and doesn't take himself seriously.

Rather than being thick, I notice there are several men mentioned in this thread who have all raced to their 40's at about 20 and stayed there until they were in their late 60's.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 07, 2018, 11:17:21 PM
Really? I always felt there was a bit of a chip on his shoulder about rodders being his most celebrated role, a bit like Richard E Grant and Withnail.

I'm not saying he isn't human. He probably farts occasionally too.

famethrowa

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 07, 2018, 10:55:55 PM
Geraint Thomas

All cyclists, in fact

Hang on. Most cyclists

Sure, we all inject someone else's urine up our dickholes

or fannies

Rev+

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 07, 2018, 07:23:42 PM
I know fame probably did change them, but I like seeing in archive footage golden-age actors like Bogart and Bacall picketing alongside the unionised crew members to help them get better rights.

Lauren Bacall laid the foundation stone of the Odeon cinema in Hemel Hempstead, so she was either not particularly up herself or very lost.

chveik

Bennett Brauer

Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 07, 2018, 11:17:21 PM

I was next to Lyndhurst in a hotel bar a few years ago and, thinking I'd be clever by not mentioning Rodney, told him I was a big fan of The Piglet Files. He completely blanked me and shortly after I was told by a bouncer to leave.

Ten minutes of argy-bargy later he's buying me a drink and apologising. "Mate, I thought you said you were a fan of the paedophiles." I called him a dipstick and a plonker and we both absolutely howled with laughter.