Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:02:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Individuals that seem the most unchanged by power/fame

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, December 07, 2018, 05:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver Mardy

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 07, 2018, 08:04:18 PM
Despite accepting a knighthood, Kenny Dalglish still looks and sounds a bit like some kind of slightly shy, mumbling bloke you might encounter in a pub on the Maryhill Road.

Very well respected in the Liverpool area for doing so much for the Hillsborough families; attending funerals and the like. I believe it affected him very deeply.

He looked like a bit of a wally when he was wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the face of Luis Suarez (the face of Luis Suarez), a man who had just done some bad racism and then tried to pretend he never done it

mr. logic

Eminem always seems fairly humble about his money and fame.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mr. logic on December 08, 2018, 02:02:25 PM
Eminem always seems fairly humble about his money and fame.

According to Ronnie Wood fame and riches hasn't changed Rod Stewart, he remains 'tighter than two coats of paint'.

Icehaven

Dave Grohl is supposed to be a nice man. Although I often get the impression he gets a lot of credit simply for not being a dick, which says more about other people than him really.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on December 08, 2018, 02:21:10 PM
Dave Grohl is supposed to be a nice man. Although I often get the impression he gets a lot of credit simply for not being a dick, which says more about other people than him really.

One of my mates worked a few summers at some yank theme park called Funland and encountered Grohl, he was well aware and cynical of his reputation of a lovely man; he encountered him and conceded it's all true apparently.

Which reminds me I've heard countless stories of Nicky Blackmarket being one of the nicest men in drum and bass, both from people in the scene but also people who have sent their mums into his record shop while they're passing with a list and him being very affable and polite.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 07, 2018, 09:35:16 PM
Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Arguably, one of the most recognised and successful comedy actors in British TV history but has always kept his head down, his family out the public eye, never played the fame game and still lives in the same small town in East Sussex. He rarely does interviews and considers himself a jobbing actor who just got very lucky. Much respected in the profession and nobody has a bad word to say about him. Astonishing really.

According to Wikipedia:
Lyndhurst's hobbies include underwater diving, beekeeping and piloting his own aeroplanes.

At first I thought that might have been somebody on here editing the article and taking the piss, but the references do indeed check out.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 08, 2018, 02:29:29 PM
According to Wikipedia:
Lyndhurst's hobbies include underwater diving, beekeeping and piloting his own aeroplanes.

At first I thought that might have been somebody on here editing the article and taking the piss, but the references do indeed check out.

He's a keen surfer too.

Sebastian Cobb

Into several hobbies you just don't associate with lanky people usually.

Golden E. Pump

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm glad he pilots his own aeroplanes, and not other people's. There'll be no jihad for our Rodders.

Sebastian Cobb

Yes if someone said their hobbies was 'driving other people's cars' you'd think they were ringing.

Twit 2

Ornlu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 07, 2018, 11:19:28 PM
Patrick Stewart. He always seems quite humble, and while he definitely won't put his name to shite,

biggytitbo

I wonder if Nicholas Lyndhurst ever takes his bees up for a ride in one of his aeroplanes as a special treat? Or fits them out with tiny diving helmets and takes them for a swim under the sea?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I wonder what his call sign is, you know like Maverick, Iceman and that. I bet it's Biscuits.

buzby

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 08, 2018, 04:56:05 PM
I wonder what his call sign is, you know like Maverick, Iceman and that. I bet it's Biscuits.
His Cessna 182 Skylane light aircraft is registered G-SNAL. Air traffic control would usually then call him by using 'Cessna Golf-Alpha-Lima"

St_Eddie

Karl Pilkington.  I think that it helps that he never sought to be famous.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 07, 2018, 06:26:58 PM
Steven Spielberg- quite happy to wander round the Chinatown bit of New York , baseball cap upon head, unfettered by minders, if you choose to believe that Cock and Bull story that St. Eddie has tried to foist on us all.

But it's true!  Renowned Director of moving pictures, 1941 and The BFG. Chinatown, New York. The Summer of 1993. Jurassic Park baseball cap atop his bearded head. Winked at me and flew off into the distance like Superman. All true.

kngen

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 08, 2018, 02:28:46 PM
One of my mates worked a few summers at some yank theme park called Funland and encountered Grohl, he was well aware and cynical of his reputation of a lovely man; he encountered him and conceded it's all true apparently.

It is. He's a really nice bloke. He could do with being not quite so omniprescent, but rather him than Damon Albarn, I suppose.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: buzby on December 08, 2018, 05:10:32 PM
His Cessna 182 Skylane light aircraft is registered G-SNAL. Air traffic control would usually then call him by using 'Cessna Golf-Alpha-Lima"

That is a working man's plane too. My plumber friend has the same one.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: nedthemumbler on December 07, 2018, 07:05:12 PM
John Barrowman.

Was always a cunt.

You haven't been watching I'm a Celeb then? Barrowman may be slightly irritating, but he's definitely not a cunt.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Brian Freeze on December 07, 2018, 10:38:38 PM
Jack Russell? - the keeper of wickets not the small annoying dog.

Nah, he's a cunt.  Hurling self righteous abuse at various 12th men because they didn't do his Weetabix right.

Entitled and mad, a poor combination.

alan nagsworth

Steve Davis, I reckon. Spends his time nowadays DJing any old venue just so he can share his mad taste in music with anyone who'll listen. In the '80s he spent a sizeable chunk of money on flying his favourite band Magma over to the UK for a handful of shows.

He played a set at Bangface Weekender earlier in the year and he was pissed as a fart, dancing about the front of the stage with a pint of red wine. Brilliant set, it was. We met him at some point over the weekend and he stood and chatted to us about snooker and music for a while, absolutely lovely bloke. He also spent some time in the arcade bit (it was at Pontins) playing people at pool. I'm reliably informed that he was so trashed that he ended up losing to a couple of people.