Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Started by Penfold, December 07, 2018, 10:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

https://youtu.be/tg52up16eq0

Jake Johnson and John Mulaney TOGETHER!!!

I was sold.

Although after playing the PS4 Spider-Man game I ended up reading the Superior Spider-Man series and the Spider-Verse book.

Not related to the film.

Double sold.

I don't understand the release of this film, I saw it in Manchester last night as part of a Vue charity screening but they seem to be showing it a lot this weekend, and on Wednesday and Thursday. I think it's out next Friday.

I loved it.

It has a post-credits section. Is that a spoiler? I assume not because after a Marvel film ends I turn on my phone and google if the Marvel film I'm watching has one.

My favourite.

Replies From View

Just read about this film, never heard of it before.  It's getting good reviews.  The synopsis reminds me of that Hero Turtles film where all the different comic styles of the Turtles meet up, and potter about reminiscing.

I am delighted to read that there is a Peter Porker / Spider-Ham in it.  Is it just Peter's surname that is different, or is he indeed a farm animal with a human name that was bitten by a radioactive spider?

Sin Agog

Have they cleared up the vanishing heroes plot-point yet?  I've missed a couple of these.

samadriel

This is a standalone movie by Sony, so vanishing heroes don't matter.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 08, 2018, 03:09:51 PM
Is it just Peter's surname that is different, or is he indeed a farm animal with a human name that was bitten by a radioactive spider?

It's not just a clever name.

kidsick5000

It is an astounding film. It feels like a new level of animation - something that you can't explain as easily as standard Pixar DreamWorks 3D animation.

There's so much going on, so much so that the end credits are just as fascinating as the film.

Of course, it's the power of Lord & Miller - The smartest move Sony made in their tenuous, strained hold on the character. I have to say, it's probably because they didn't interfere as much. In doing so, easily the best Spider-Man film. It even contains a deep cut from a comic-book that had nothing to do with Spider-Man, (hello Sienkiewicz fans)

Replies From View

Mango Chimes

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 08, 2018, 04:59:05 PM
It is an astounding film. It feels like a new level of animation - something that you can't explain as easily as standard Pixar DreamWorks 3D animation.

Yeah, I was blown away by the trailer. I'm not overly fussed about the story (or mad keen on Jake Johnson as Parker from the clip I've seen), but fuck me the animation is phenomenal and I'm excited to see a whole film of it.

kidsick5000

Small Man Big Horse

I saw this today and enjoyed it a lot, it's not perfect and sags a little bit two thirds of the way through, and they could have had a bit more fun with Spider-Ham, but otherwise it impressed me a lot, there's some stunning action sequences (the ending in particularly is quite beautifully done) and some very funny moments. I just wish it had been legal to kill the shitty kids in the row behind me who wouldn't stop talking throughout, but then I went on a Saturday afternoon so was mostly prepared for such cuntiness.

Apparently they're already starting to work on the sequel, as well as a spin-off featuring Gwen and other Spider-women, and I just hope they don't run the idea in to the ground and keep it as fresh and as original as this was.

Brundle-Fly

From the trailer, it looks sassy, inventive, funny and futuristic. It kind of has a Roger Rabbit spirit, but it might be a bit too...

...for me these days.

Sin Agog

I had that reaction from one of the Lego Movie sequels.  It was so rat-a-tat-tat that I actually had to spend the last third of the movie pacing along the back of the aisle to stop my brain from spinning out too much.  This doesn't look quite as bad as that, though.  One thing I really love about some of the animated Batman movies is how still and ambient they usually are.

(By the way, hadn't seen the trailer when I made my earlier post.  Just assumed this was a Homecoming sequel).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 08, 2018, 06:45:01 PM
From the trailer, it looks sassy, inventive, funny and futuristic. It kind of has a Roger Rabbit spirit, but it might be a bit too...

...for me these days.

The ending's definitely a bit like that, and they did have a warning on the door saying some people may react to it badly.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 08, 2018, 06:18:48 PM
I just wish it had been legal to kill the shitty kids in the row behind me who wouldn't stop talking throughout,

That's nothing. The preview I was at had a couple of grown-up geeks/nerds (whichever one applies best). If their seats were dry By the end I'll be amazed.
When Spider-Gwen made an appearance, OHMYGOD!IT'SHER!OHYES! at full... fucking... volume...  All the way through the film exclamations showing off to the preview audience they knew who everyone is. These are adult men FFS. The children on booster seats were better behaved.
In a move that showed the problem with internet comments, at the end when they flashed up a tribute Stan Lee, A fully indignant "WELLSOMEONEELSEWHOCREATEDSPIDER-MANALSODIEDTHISYEAR" rang out, except before he finished the sentence, the card acknowledging Lee and Steve Ditko came up.
Later, during the end credits (yes there's plenty to stay to the very very end for) a song came up in the end credits. This is after they loudly started to critique the film among their group. Anyway, the song comes up and one of them loses more fluids OHMYGODOHMYGOD and scrambles for his phone to record it.
At which point, and only at this point, do two ushers swoop in to stop him doing so. Kinda annoyed that Preview screening rules kicked in only for that. If I'd known they were so vigilant, I'd have tried to frame the nerds much earlier.

St_Eddie

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 08, 2018, 10:05:38 PM
That's nothing. The preview I was at had a couple of grown-up geeks/nerds (whichever one applies best). If their seats were dry By the end I'll be amazed.
When Spider-Gwen made an appearance, OHMYGOD!IT'SHER!OHYES! at full... fucking... volume...  All the way through the film exclamations showing off to the preview audience they knew who everyone is. These are adult men FFS. The children on booster seats were better behaved.
In a move that showed the problem with internet comments, at the end when they flashed up a tribute Stan Lee, A fully indignant "WELLSOMEONEELSEWHOCREATEDSPIDER-MANALSODIEDTHISYEAR" rang out, except before he finished the sentence, the card acknowledging Lee and Steve Ditko came up.
Later, during the end credits (yes there's plenty to stay to the very very end for) a song came up in the end credits. This is after they loudly started to critique the film among their group. Anyway, the song comes up and one of them loses more fluids OHMYGODOHMYGOD and scrambles for his phone to record it.
At which point, and only at this point, do two ushers swoop in to stop him doing so. Kinda annoyed that Preview screening rules kicked in only for that. If I'd known they were so vigilant, I'd have tried to frame the nerds much earlier.

Absolutely sickening behaviour.  One wonders if they'll ever wake up at 3am in a cold sweat, at the sudden realisation of what pathetic man-babies they are.  Even then, they'd probably just clutch hold of their limited edition Spider-Man plushy extra tight and Bruce Banish the bad thoughts from their minds.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 08, 2018, 10:05:38 PM

That does sound horrific but as they were adults I'd have no problem shushing them, and if they really irritated loudly shouting "Shut the fuck up" (once I checked out that they weren't burly types who might beat me up at least), but at my screening as they were kids and it was in the middle of the afternoon with a cinema filled with youngsters I thought it unreasonable to make a scene. It's the last time I go to see a film like at the weekend when the little bastards are likely to be around though.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 08, 2018, 11:29:45 PM
That does sound horrific but as they were adults I'd have no problem shushing them

I'm really trying to be better behaved, or more tolerant when it comes to this.
Also they were far enough away that if I did tell them to stop it, I'd risk disturbing more people. If that makes sense. Probably not. But Shushing would seem odd.

It's not like I'm saying don't react. Woo, gasp, wow, laugh whatever. That's what the film's attempting to make you do. But tone it down. The film can't hear you.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 08, 2018, 11:49:39 PM
I'm really trying to be better behaved, or more tolerant when it comes to this.
Also they were just far enough away that if I did tell them to stop it, I'd risk disturbing more people. If that makes sense. Probably not.

It's not like I'm saying don't react. Woo, gasp, wow, laugh whatever. That's what the film's attempting to make you do. But tone it down. The film can't hear you

I'm an angry type who annoys his girlfriend most of the time when I'm at the cinema, if it's an adult film at least, but probably should try and calm down as I'm likely to get hit one day soon. And I agree with you when it comes to your latter point, I've no issue with people enjoying a film, it's just when they heckle it or chat loudly about it that I get irritated.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 08, 2018, 11:53:08 PM
I'm an angry type who annoys his girlfriend most of the time when I'm at the cinema

Exactly the reason I stopped. The resulting tension just became too uncomfortable for her.

Anyway, Spider-Man is really good

Caught it an early screening today in a completely empty cinema. Bliss. I thought it was great, I was really impressed by how much they did visually.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It seems bizarre that something as mainstream and safe as this would dare to opt for such a distinctive visual style. I suppose the Lego films paved the way for it though (paved with lego bricks, geddit?)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 13, 2018, 04:31:17 PM
It seems bizarre that something as mainstream and safe as this would dare to opt for such a distinctive visual style. I suppose the Lego films paved the way for it though (paved with lego bricks, geddit?)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse followed the Lego brick road.

Small Man Big Horse

This was posted in another thread and I hope solidified gruel merchant doesn't mind me reposting it as it was something I forgot to mention but should have.

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on December 16, 2018, 09:13:55 AM
I saw this yesterday. I really couldn't get on with the animation style. At times it felt like watching a 3d film without the glasses. It had that blurry double edgedness to some of the backgrounds. I spoke to a member of staff who insisted it's supposed to be like that. Not for me.

I'm 100% with you about the blurry double edgedness, when the film first started I wondered if they'd started playing the 3D version by accident as it was so off-putting. After about five minutes I realised it was a design choice and perhaps I stopped noticing it as much as after about thirty minutes it no longer bothered, but I do think it was a bit of a mis-step in an otherwise beautifully animated film.

mjwilson

Just read about this film, never heard of it before.  It's getting good reviews.  The synopsis reminds me of that Hero Turtles film where all the different comic styles of the Turtles meet up, and potter about reminiscing.

I am delighted to read that there is a Peter Porker / Spider-Ham in it.  Is it just Peter's surname that is different, or is he indeed a farm animal with a human name that was bitten by a radioactive spider?

Actually a spider who was bitten by a radioactive pig.

St_Eddie

I am delighted to read that there is a Peter Porker / Spider-Ham in it...

"Simpsons Movie did it!"

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 20, 2018, 08:34:17 PM
"Simpsons Movie did it!"

I did wonder, though it seems that on this occasion the Marvel comics were before the Simpsons' own Spider-Pig.

magval

I saw this in an Odeon (first time in an Odeon since Alpha Papa, fuck) and there was a DO NOT RECORD THIS FILM warning that played before the film started (just after the trailers) with a specific "Spider-Man" logo and everything.

Don't think I've ever seen anything like this in the cinema. I recall the old generic FACT (fuck aff, copyin' thieves) logo, though that might have been on VHS.

But a film-specific piracy warning? Who's insisting on this, Sony, Marvel or Odeon themselves?

Film was great but as usual with these things, I did have a little sleep through the crash thwacky action. At this stage it doesn't matter how well it's made, my brain will switch off.

We had a couple of I GET THAT REFERENCE whooping twats in our screening too, but I doubt any of them were as inwardly excited as me at seeing that mental Bill Sienkiewicz Kingpin with the head halfway down his chest.

mjwilson

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2018, 12:08:19 PM
I saw this in an Odeon (first time in an Odeon since Alpha Papa, fuck) and there was a DO NOT RECORD THIS FILM warning that played before the film started (just after the trailers) with a specific "Spider-Man" logo and everything.

Someone took a photo of that in my screening.

PlanktonSideburns

People going ape about this.

Is it so good that it's worth watching if one has no interest in superhero stuff?  Saw the trailer and didn't really like the look of it

magval

No. Definitely helps to be interested in comics as the concept and execution are very strongly attached to the construction and appeal of Marvel books in the 2010s.

PlanktonSideburns