Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:46:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Started by Penfold, December 07, 2018, 10:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'd say yes. I don't really care about Marvel comics or the cinematic universe and I know nothing about the comics in the 2010s but I loved this.

Mister Six

It's the best superhero movie but if you don't like superhero movies that won't mean anything to you.

If you have an interest in animation and design then it could be worth a look though, especially on the big screen. It's absolutely stunning.

(It's also nothing to do with the other Marvel or Spider-Man movies beyond a couple of in-jokes early on. It's very much its own thing.)

Noodle Lizard

I only got about an hour in (kid wimped out), but I really liked what I saw.  Echo all sentiments about the animation style, which was very inventive and refreshing, and thought it has some good gags in there too.  I really don't care about superhero movies and barely ever read any comics, but I'm looking forward to finishing it.  So there's that.

Mister Six

Why did your kid "wimp out"?  It doesn't strike me as a terribly scary film.

Custard

Not much to add, other than I loved it too. It's great fun, and the animation is well lovely

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on January 04, 2019, 02:21:41 PM

Spiders are scary.  Men, doubly so.  A spider-man?  That's fucking terrifying!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on January 04, 2019, 02:21:41 PM

Me neither, but he's a total fanny when it comes to loud noises and fight scenes.  The baddies are sort of scary-looking I suppose (if you're a total fanny).

CaledonianGonzo

St_Eddie

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 04, 2019, 05:53:19 PM
Me neither, but he's a total fanny when it comes to loud noises and fight scenes.  The baddies are sort of scary-looking I suppose (if you're a total fanny).

Referring to one's own kid as a "total fanny".

I approve of this.

I approve of this a lot.

magval

Same here, laughed for minutes at that in the car yesterday.

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 04, 2019, 05:53:19 PM

28 years old, he was, ahh.

Do go back and watch it - it's great.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw it this morning. Lovely stuff. It was marred slightly by being a deaf people screening - the visual style is already overwhelming, without the added distraction of subtitles - but who am I to deny the hearing impaired such a pleasant trip to the pictures?

Aside from the recent game, I wasn't particularly familiar with Miles Morales, but he carried the film effortlessly. I could easily see him becoming the main version of the character across the various media.

Slightly odd having Jake Johnson and Chris Pine voicing Peter Parker. Johnson is no doubt cheaper and more easily typecast as the sad sack incarnation of the character, but it wouldn't have been beyond his abilities to play the upbeat version. The marketing didn't seem to play up Pine's role either, so it's not like he's there for his added star power.

I'd have liked to see more of the other Spider-Folk. I guess it's possible, if not probable, that the film is being used as a stealth pilot for any spin-off series. I don't know if Nicolas Cage's tax problems are so great that he'd want to sign up for a weekly cartoon show, but they could surely get John Mulaney back for a Spider-Ham one.

A couple of geeky nitpicks: How can Doc Ock withstand so many punches to the face? The original version was defeated in exactly one punch in their first appearance. Maybe this version is superhumanly tough but, if they're that well'ard, why even bother with the tentacles? Similarly, I know Kingpin is supposed to be a wall of solid muscle, but I still don't see how he's a physical threat, when Spider-Man can throw cars around and dodge bullets.

Custard

That was the one "negative" for me, if it can even be called that. Kingpin being ridiculously massive. I prefer the character when it is played literally as a big fat "normal" bloke in a suit. But in this he was probably five times bigger than he needed to be, or could be

I know, it's a comic fantasy. And there was a cartoon pig dressed as Spider-Man, so shutting up now

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 06, 2019, 04:37:58 PM
...How can Doc Ock withstand so many punches to the face?

I don't know, how can Doc Ock withstand so many punches to the face?

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 06, 2019, 10:30:23 PM
I don't know, how can Doc Ock withstand so many punches to the face?
Actually this very point is tackled in Dan Slotts Spider-Man run, leading up to Superior Spider-Man.

And another thing. How come Miles goes by his mum's surname? Could they not get away with calling him Miles Davis?

magval

Always wondered that, too. He's always had that name in the comics, even with his parents' names identified early on

Shaky

This was absolutely fucking great. My one nit-pick was that the other Spider-people (bar Parker & Gwen) were occasionally unnecessary plot-wise, but on the other hand I liked the fact they didn't over-use them. Too much Spider-Ham would have been worse.

They were entirely unnecessary plot-wise, weren't they?  They're too delightful to excise completely, but I think they could stand to be used either more or less than they were. They're more than cameos, but not really proper characters either, which makes them more distracting.

phantom_power

They are used as a) a bit of fun playing with the idea of alternate universes and b) a gang of warriors to help in the final battles as well as a bit of c) part of the goal that the hero has (to get them to their home universes). I am not sure they are needed any more or less than that. Use them more and it would feel too stuffed, less and they would be barely there at all

Well yes, but a) could have been achieved with mere cameo appearances b) was only necessary because of so many superfluous henchmen and c) was already handled perfectly well with Peter and Gwen.

They're not vital to the plot at all. They're really just there for franchise potential. And it worked. I want more of Spider-Ham, darn it!

phantom_power

I don't think they were there just for franchise potential. I think they were there because it was funny and it added to the visual palette of the film and acted as an extrapolation of the "spiderverse" premise.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on January 09, 2019, 12:47:22 PM
I don't think they were there just for franchise potential. I think they were there because it was funny and it added to the visual palette of the film and acted as an extrapolation of the "spiderverse" premise.

Yeah, Spiderverse is as much an aesthetic/formal exercise as it is a blockbuster story, and having cartoon/B&W/anime characters really added to that. My only complaint is that the anime sections weren't authentic looking enough, but hey ho.

Shaky

Surprising how little Spider-Cage there was. Really just a handful of funny lines. Worked well in the film but IS THAT WHAT'S IT'S COME TO, NIC? IS IT?

Hobo

Quote from: magval on January 08, 2019, 04:44:11 PM
Always wondered that, too. He's always had that name in the comics, even with his parents' names identified early on

Isn't it that his 'Dad' is actually his step Dad?

Mister Six

Quote from: Shaky on January 10, 2019, 01:24:52 PM
Surprising how little Spider-Cage there was. Really just a handful of funny lines. Worked well in the film but IS THAT WHAT'S IT'S COME TO, NIC? IS IT?

It's a substantial step up from some of the shit he's been in. And I doubt he complaining about getting a fat paycheque in exchange for a day's work in a recording booth

touchingcloth

I don't get the Marvel. Why is he black now? Is it supposed to be Tom Holland or the other one?

kidsick5000

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 12, 2019, 01:09:39 AM
I don't get the Marvel. Why is he black now? Is it supposed to be Tom Holland or the other one?

He's from a different dimension or universe. A Spider-verse, if you will.
Or did you think it was about Superhero lyrics?

Shaky

Quote from: Mister Six on January 11, 2019, 09:35:11 PM
It's a substantial step up from some of the shit he's been in. And I doubt he complaining about getting a fat paycheque in exchange for a day's work in a recording booth

God yes, just a bit weird to think that Cage is now in the category of slightly fading, once idiosyncratic performers who will take a back seat in a major film. Makes sense, but somewhere in my head he still seems like he can lead a blockbuster even though such days are long gone.