Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jamaican Clothes golem / TUI 'hotel dead son tribute' debacle

Started by Kryton, December 08, 2018, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46475631?ns_source=facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ocid=socialflow_facebook

Quote"Staff had gone through my friend's wardrobe and stuffed the clothes with towels to make it look like a body on the bed. They even put tears down the face and a can of lager in his hand.

Bum Flaps

hedgehog90

Then welcome...
Mmm...
Ooh, dead son effigy stuffed with towels.
Welcome.
In Jaaaaaam(aica).

im barry bethel

QuoteThe family received a full refund of £1,300 per person for the five-star holiday after raising the issue on BBC Three Counties' JVS show.

130,000 pennies for the guy

wooders1978

Awful as it is for that poor couple that effigy really made me proper lol when I read that story - I genuinely think there was no malice and it was an actual attempt at a nice gesture but fucking hell mate!

biggytitbo

What if this is a traditional cultural gesture in Jamaica and the parents are being really racist?

Uncle TechTip

Why does this have to be news? They got their refund; they accepted that the staff were well intentioned if misguided; the notion of balloons and cakes to mark your son's death seems a bit off. Or was it for his birthday? Anyway I don't see what is served by reading about this, except sniggering at different cultures.

a duncandisorderly

agreed it shouldn't be in the news, but it is fantastic.
I think there might've been a way to report this without crushing all the good intentions out of it & turning it into an account of wilful insensitivity.

Pijlstaart

Think it is wrong to celebrate a birthday without the person there. Had this exact dilemma at work, a coworker had a birthday and the boss had made the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake for him, and then his girlfriend got rushed to hospital twenty minutes before cake eating, and he went to see her. He abandoned us, and the cake. In the end we said we'd give it 24 hours, and if he didn't come back in that time, the cake was fair game. Similarly, if the girlfriend died within that time limit, we would eat the cake, lest it be taken as a celebration of her death. Had long discussions about it. Think they would be wrong to eat his cake without him in a hotel bed, I would leave the first slice at a dead son shrine, or put it in his urn, and even to spoonfeed it to an effigy in his likeness is acceptable. I side with the hotel staff here.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Pijlstaart on December 08, 2018, 09:18:08 AM
Think it is wrong to celebrate a birthday without the person there. Had this exact dilemma at work, a coworker had a birthday and the boss had made the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake for him, and then his girlfriend got rushed to hospital twenty minutes before cake eating, and he went to see her. He abandoned us, and the cake. In the end we said we'd give it 24 hours, and if he didn't come back in that time, the cake was fair game. Similarly, if the girlfriend died within that time limit, we would eat the cake, lest it be taken as a celebration of her death. Had long discussions about it. Think they would be wrong to eat his cake without him in a hotel bed, I would leave the first slice at a dead son shrine, or put it in his urn, and even to spoonfeed it to an effigy in his likeness is acceptable. I side with the hotel staff here.

yes, absolutely.

mothman

In these crazy, uncertain times, Pijlstaart is the voice of reason we need.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: mothman on December 08, 2018, 09:33:28 AM
In these crazy, uncertain times, Pijlstaart is the voice of reason we need.

& mr torso. have they ever been seen in the same place at the same time? apart from here. obvs.

mothman

An oddball poster who publishes long screeds of gibberish which largely ignore what others have posted before apart from select cherry-picking, and often bears little to no relevance to the topic in hand, relying instead on the recycling of certain tropes, biggytitbo is 53.

hedgehog90

Nowhere Man