Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A warm hand for Lionel Blair

Started by Tony Yeboah, December 09, 2018, 04:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Yeboah

Happy 90th birthday to Lionel Blair, an incredibly talented and much beloved performer.  But of course best known in comedy circles for Humphrey Lyttleton's double entendres. So here's a massive compilation of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wTR03jlQ8M&t=263s
I would say this is a prime example of jokes being blatantly making fun of a minority (in this case homophobic) but being so funny that it was defensible. Samdi Toksvig pissing herself laughing is a big help.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

neardark

"Lionel Blair, 82, dons PVC hot pants as he tells housemates to 'suck my d***!'"

Still disturbs me to this day.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on December 09, 2018, 04:19:14 AM
Happy 90th birthday to Lionel Blair, an incredibly talented and much beloved performer.  But of course best known in comedy circles for Humphrey Lyttleton's double entendres. So here's a massive compilation of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wTR03jlQ8M&t=263s
I would say this is a prime example of jokes being blatantly making fun of a minority (in this case homophobic) but being so funny that it was defensible. Samdi Toksvig pissing herself laughing is a big help.

The Nevil Shute gag might just be the greatest joke of all time.

Cuellar

Oh jeez I'm an absolute sucker for a problematic double entendre and I am in tears.

a duncandisorderly

he was on danny baker's show yesterday morning, prompted me to look him up on wikipedia, & it turns out that his performing debut was at my local tube station during ww2.

also surprised to learn he's been married for ages & has several kids.

Brundle-Fly

I'm so tempted to add to that ISIHAC link the usual comment with the sour caveat.

Posted by MrUKIPlingsCakes

Brilliant! Back then they didn't have to be smutty to get a laugh, not like today's fowl mouthed, so called comedians!

shiftwork2

He hated the ISIHAC stuff didn't he?  I think jemblefred off here posted a radio clip of Blair responding to Lyttleton's death and it was a difficult listen.

Cuellar

I'm not surprised, it's very funny but it is quite hateful

Replies From View

Lionel Blair never did like warm hands.  "Too warm for me, too warm," he would say.  And as he ran off in exactly the opposite direction from your path, he would still be wiping the water from his hands onto the seat of his trousers.

biggytitbo

That's brilliant.

"Lionel's Rod was outstanding"

The Bumlord

Quote from: Cuellar on December 09, 2018, 10:56:07 AM
I'm not surprised, it's very funny but it is quite hateful

Not sure it's hateful. And Lionel is a known dickhead iirc

Replies From View

My faintest memory of Lionel Blair is the day there was that lidless manhole in Primrose Avenue and he had to rise out of it doing jazz hands, but he kept getting jammed because of his shoulder width.

I'm not his biggest fan.  Always felt he was a bit too avant-garde, you know.

ajsmith2

Anyone else think used to think that him and Lionel Bart were the same person? I used to think that it figured that Lionel Blair would have had a hand in writing musicals and Cliff Richard songs back in the day.

biggytitbo

Yes I remember that. Also that time he was lowered through a hole in the roof at Hull bus station and did all the songs from Oliver suspended upside down on a bit of elastic.

Tony Tony Tony

I always thought of Lionel Blair as being up for a good ribbing as demonstrated in Extras and that beer/cider? advert where he turned up with the bad haircut.

It appears he thought the ISIHAC joke wore thin after 15 years or so.

Here is a link to an outline of the interview where he explains his dislike (unfortunately the link in the article to the actual interview seems to be down)

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/12/18/16817/lay_off_lionel! 

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2018, 01:45:15 PM
Yes I remember that. Also that time he was lowered through a hole in the roof at Hull bus station and did all the songs from Oliver suspended upside down on a bit of elastic.

He's very odd, isn't he.  Why so obsessed with being raised and lowered through holes?

Does he still do that kind of thing now?

biggytitbo

He cant really afford it these days, but I believe his family have a special treat lined up for his 90th birthday, they are going to have Lionel lowered down a chimney at Blenheim Palace, where his buttocks will be paddled with special motorised struts fitted into the shaft by channel five.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2018, 02:36:07 PM
He cant really afford it these days, but I believe his family have a special treat lined up for his 90th birthday, they are going to have Lionel lowered down a chimney at Blenheim Palace, where his buttocks will be paddled with special motorised struts fitted into the shaft by channel five.

disaster looms.

Brundle-Fly

He's had quite the life! Shame he gets written off now as a kitsch joke and rhyming slang for 'flares' but he has created this perception since appearing on Give Us A Clue. Something has to pay the bills.

Cut in halfway through for some top hoofing from Lionel and Sammy Davis Jnr. People forget he was a leading choreographer in his day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgwwdgepuSg

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 09, 2018, 02:39:32 PM

looks like somebody's shrank the beatles... "feet! feet! y'll 'ave paul!"

Glebe

famethrowa

And who could forget the time Una Stubbs looked on in amazement as Lionel engaged in homosexual activity?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on December 09, 2018, 01:55:12 PM
Here is a link to an outline of the interview where he explains his dislike (unfortunately the link in the article to the actual interview seems to be down)

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/12/18/16817/lay_off_lionel!

His comment about Humphrey Lyttelton looks like a rehearsed play on words rather than something said in anger. (He once said he didn't blame Lyttelton so much as Barry Cryer who wrote the jokes, and he couldn't understand why Cryer hated him. Cryer responded by ringing him to say the jokes were other writers', not his.)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 09, 2018, 02:39:32 PM
Cut in halfway through for some top hoofing from Lionel and Sammy Davis Jnr. People forget he was a leading choreographer in his day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgwwdgepuSg

Coo!

poodlefaker

I bet he was furious not to get the Strictly judging gig after Len Goodman left

Replies From View

I've heard down the grapevine that it wasn't the hand that was warm, but the cock it was touching.

Cuntbeaks

"What did God give us Neil?

God gave us life Nigel.

Sure did"