Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:54:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A warm hand for Lionel Blair

Started by Tony Yeboah, December 09, 2018, 04:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on December 09, 2018, 01:55:12 PM
I always thought of Lionel Blair as being up for a good ribbing as demonstrated in Extras and that beer/cider? advert where he turned up with the bad haircut.

It appears he thought the ISIHAC joke wore thin after 15 years or so.

Here is a link to an outline of the interview where he explains his dislike (unfortunately the link in the article to the actual interview seems to be down)

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/12/18/16817/lay_off_lionel!

Oh lighten up Lionel. The jokes are so ridiculous that they're not really about him. You have to admire the work that went into some of them. 

thraxx

My mate Tony was working on the Deli in Asda in Roehampton in 1997 when he found himself serving Lionel Blair.  He asked Lionel if he would come to his shitty Acid Jazz band's shitty gig in Kingston and hold a dancing contest the week after, fully expecting to get told to fuck right off.

'Bollocks' we said when Tony recounted this to us.  However, we were staggered when not only did Lionel came along in his Lionelled pin stripe suit and hold a dancing competition, he swanned around like a king and was happy to hold court and be generally lovely to everyone.

Since then I've always had a lot of time for old Lionel.

He also was involved in one of Edmond's better Gotchas.

Replies From View

There was a time in the 1960s wasn't there where he gave off a constant vibe of thinking he was a Thundercat.  I mean what are you playing at mate?  There is no Eye of Thundera in real life!!

Bazooka

I know Lionel Messi and Lionel Richie were both born as a tribute to Lionel Blair, as was Tony Blair and his children after that.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bazooka on December 11, 2018, 10:41:50 AM
I know Lionel Messi and Lionel Richie were both born as a tribute to Lionel Blair, as was Tony Blair and his children after that.

They are all literally mental projections of him.  Boy George used to call Lionel Blair "a wire-sprung devil box" for this reason.

Tony Yeboah

Also the master at coping with the camera staying on you a bit too long, deals with it better than Parky and Liza https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYa_NfrxCng

Cuellar

Quote from: studpuppet on December 11, 2018, 01:50:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYBpZ70y70

Scariest part of the Inside No 9 Halloween Special was when they were laughing about this clip and both slipped into Lionel Blair (pardon) impressions: I thought they'd become possessed!

All Surrogate

This makes me remember this post from Doomy Dwyer.

St_Eddie

Quote from: thraxx on December 10, 2018, 06:31:52 PM
He also was involved in one of Edmond's better Gotchas.

Aye, it's an absolute belter, to be sure.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 10, 2018, 06:34:07 PM
There is no Eye of Thundera in real life!!

Them's fighting words!