Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:07:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Love Actually the film people watch at Christmas

Started by Dannyhood91, December 09, 2018, 07:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

mothman

And in Walking Dead too. He called his son Coral, ffs.

McChesney Duntz

Best thing I can say for Love Actually: that it isn't The Boat That Rocked. Nice job finding a subject that would make a great film in the right hands (and at least a decent one in most others´) and fucking up EVERY LAST THING ABOUT IT. Love Actually is a minor parking offense compared to the capital (hm) crime that is TBTR.

Twed

Yeah. Made me queasy as fuck that one, but not with seasickness. I guess scenes that make you complicit in enjoying a rape are an acquired taste.

McChesney Duntz

It's kind of impressive, really - it's rare for an artist's work get measurably, mathematically less tolerable with each successive work. His best screenplay by far was his first, his second was good enough to allow you to wave away the contrived jokes and unsanctioned visits to Maudlin Street, the next one starts testing one's ocular nerves with the eye-rolling you end up doing, and so on down the pan...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on December 10, 2018, 01:55:37 AM
It's kind of impressive, really - it's rare for an artist's work get measurably, mathematically less tolerable with each successive work. His best screenplay by far was his first, his second was good enough to allow you to wave away the contrived jokes and unsanctioned visits toMaudlin Street, the next one starts testing one's ocular nerves with the eye-rolling you end up doing, and so on down the pan...

Its the beauty if being a cynic, we sense when something or someone is shit and sneer right from the start.

McChesney Duntz

Would I be mistaken that all anti-Curtisites have one clear moment where the tide personally turned for them, that first "oh, please" that started to drown out his established NTNOCN/Blackadder goodwill forever? For me, it was that scene in Notting Hill where... Ulgh, I started trying to synopsize it but the acid reflux kicked in. It's the one soundtracked by "Gimme Some Lovin'," which combines with the idiotically-motivated action in a way that felt cloyingly, diabetically/diabolically cutesy beyond defense, and made it clear that he somehow made it to early middle age without any idea of how people actually behave. JUST LEND HUGH THE FUCKING CAR! IF TIME'S OF THE ESSENCE, YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO LOAD NO-LEGS MCKEE INTO THE FUCKING THING! GAAH!

Mister Six

BlodwynPig

Mister Six

That's your response to practically everything though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on December 10, 2018, 02:40:28 AM
That's your response to practically everything though.

Well to your posts at least. I love other things like they were my lost son, but not this.

Splurrrrrghh

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on December 09, 2018, 09:03:47 PM
That bit where matey is showing her the cards at the door....that's mental isn't it? Well creepy that mate

Look out mate, cards there mate, could look a bit mental. Careful.

In reality, that character would be waking up at 2 o'clock in the morning for decades thinking about the daft thing he did. Cringe so powerful, the neighbours can feel it. "Oh god, what was I thinking, I even brought a boom box and pretended to be carollers. Jesus I have to go to the pub with these people next week and she's going to know and maybe she told him already oh no oh Christ..."

I thought it was absolute toilets when I saw it - the opening stuff about 9/11 was one of the most cynical, manipulative pieces of film I'd ever seen, and I thought so at the time. And people were going for it! Mental state of affairs.

greenman

famethrowa

Quote from: Chollis on December 09, 2018, 09:03:47 PM
That bit where matey is showing her the cards at the door....that's mental isn't it? Well creepy that mate

I'm paraphrasing Tom Baker here, but get your cards and fuck off

MuteBanana

BlodwynPig

PlanktonSideburns

Watched this in the cinema as part of a BFI double bill with Gasped Noe's Irreversible.

Was in fucking bits by the end

PlanktonSideburns

The scene in Notting Hill where Julia Roberts says she has it worse than everyone else at the dinner party (including the paraplegic woman who is unable to have kids) cos she's a Hollywood actress was the peak of Richard Curtis Cuntery.

BlodwynPig

PlanktonSideburns

Not seen any of these films, rape actually, the boat hat raped, none of it. So I've no idea which of the above are micktakes

jobotic

Ain't not never seen Love Actually or Notting Hill and ain't not never will, guvnah.

Writing this from a greasy spoon surrounded by houses like the ones in Paddington (the bear film).

kidsick5000

Quote from: mothman on December 09, 2018, 08:30:03 PM
Did anybody voluntarily watch the Comic Relief sequel? Because after that, they're only going and doing Four Weddings next. Then, who knows? Notting Hill? Because now Julia R. does TV... Then there'll be an About Time...

And then The Boat That Rocked sequel. Eh, BBC?

mothman

That'll happen when the BBC get bored of doing Comic Relief and Channel 5 take it on.

BritishHobo

What always fucks me off about Egg telling Captain Jack Sparrow to say that he's carollers is where is the guarantee that Chiwetel Ejiofor wouldn't just go 'oh, fucking brilliant, I love carollers, best part of Christmas for me that is, the carollers, I'm absolutely buzzing now, I cannot wait to hear some bloody lovely - EGG?!"

garnish

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 11, 2018, 09:24:48 PM
What always fucks me off about Egg telling Captain Jack Sparrow to say that he's carollers is where is the guarantee that Chiwetel Ejiofor wouldn't just go 'oh, fucking brilliant, I love carollers, best part of Christmas for me that is, the carollers, I'm absolutely buzzing now, I cannot wait to hear some bloody lovely - EGG?!"

Because EGG knows his friend all too well and his friend HATES Adam Carolla and the Carollers

Dex Sawash

bgmnts

I must say its always worth a watch for the Martin Freeman and Bill Nighy storylines. I find them genuinely quite heartwarming.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on December 12, 2018, 09:24:56 AM
I must say its always worth a watch for the Martin Freeman and Bill Nighy storylines. I find them genuinely quite heartwarming.

Yeah, well you *would*.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 09, 2018, 08:57:24 AM
I ranted about this film recently on my Facebook page, and am now going to quote extensively from that very rant.

Better than Brooker. For me he doesn't refer to women as sluts and whores nearly enough.

Shit film mind you.