Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

House Names

Started by MuteBanana, December 09, 2018, 06:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Are you just allowed to give your house a name without any permission or informing anyone? What happens if you decide to only use the house name and road but not the number. Is that alright?

This thread was inspired by me walking down the street just now and seeing a sign on someones house by the front door that said "The Funky Bunker".

the

Well done, you have successfully located Craig Charles' house

Sebastian Cobb

Unless you live in a manor house, it's pretentious shite.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 09, 2018, 06:56:03 PM
Unless you live in a manor house, it's pretentious shite.

Are you suggesting a semi detached house in an urban Kent residential area should not be called The Funky Bunker?

gmoney

I always feel sorry for postmen when I see roads which have load of wanky house names down them. I'm sure you start to learn them, but really, fuck off.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gmoney on December 09, 2018, 06:58:56 PM
I always feel sorry for postmen when I see roads which have load of wanky house names down them. I'm sure you start to learn them, but really, fuck off.

^that. they've a hard enough time dealing with the numbers where I live.

Lemming

gmoney

Don't know but after he'd annoyed me I decided to give my former manager's house a name when booking him a place at a conference run by our professional body. I thought a boorish, nouveau riche-type name would embarrass him nicely so his booking confirmation was sent to: "Luxury Mansions" 13, G**** Avenue, Wolverhampton.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on December 09, 2018, 07:04:10 PM
^that. they've a hard enough time dealing with the numbers where I live.

Mine can't manage to get in the building before the service button switches off most days.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gmoney on December 09, 2018, 07:06:36 PM
"Fuck This House"

>brian setzer urged to rethink title of single<

Icehaven

I'm changing my house name to "Wetipdeliverydrivershandsomely"  in the vain hope some of the stuff I've ordered for Christmas gets here.

flotemysost

My nan's bungalow in Essex was named after one of her pet Pomeranian dogs, which just about sums up the whole sordid practice really.

I do always think of 'Fancia Drive' whenever ridiculous house names are brought up.

I found out from local types that the house I live in now coincidentally used to have the name of a sitcom that I co-wrote in 1996. Which was odd.

gmoney

Quote from: sick as a pike on December 09, 2018, 07:38:33 PM
I found out from local types that the house I live in now coincidentally used to have the name of a sitcom that I co-wrote in 1996. Which was odd.

Kenan and Kel?

DrGreggles

My house is number 14, but I might name it "Forty Three".

Gulftastic

A friend of mine named his flat. His FLAT.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Aye my dad was a white van man.  During the pre-Christmas rush he'd generally work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for about 3 weeks, and it was shit enough without cunts putting twee bullshit names in lieu of numbers.

Durance Vile

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 09, 2018, 06:58:37 PM
Are you suggesting a semi detached house in an urban Kent residential area should not be called The Funky Bunker?

When I was a kid there was a house nearby (also in an urban Kent residential area) called "Passing Wind", and it took me years to figure out why my parents would snigger at it whenever we drove past. Looking back, it was obviously some Colin Hunt type who lived there but I still hold out a tiny hope that it was someone completely oblivious.

Twit 2

Please Gas This House of Cunts, Acacia Avenue, Swindon.

gmoney

One One, Two Two, Boogie Woogie Avenue, Gloucester Road.

mothman

I suggested to my wife we call our house Dunshaggin. Didn't go down well.

Pijlstaart

Mother's house has a bit of wood with a name on. Millowweed or cranbrook or something like that, but she doesn't call it that. Not sure it counts. Individualism, i reckon you can call a rural house anything you like, as there aren't a row of them going up in number, but in a suburb you should know your place. The thing about a number is it can always go up, it gives you hope, aspirational stuff.

jobotic

My grandparents' house had a name - "Mar-vel", made up from the beginning of each of their surnames*

* Mar-a-Lago and Velociraptor

petril

"Twenty Five Cromwell Street"

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on December 09, 2018, 07:58:59 PM
Aye my dad was a white van man.  During the pre-Christmas rush he'd generally work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for about 3 weeks, and it was shit enough without cunts putting twee bullshit names in lieu of numbers.

I once worked as a pizza delivery guy in my home town of Richmond N Yorks, a place full of aspirational Tories. The number of times I lost my rag searching for "Dunroamin'" or "The Pines" rather than 6 Beech Close or 37 Whitefields Terrace. Fuck stupid house names unless they're original (The Old Mill or The Vicarage etc).

Buelligan

It's not allowed in the UK.  Houses (like the ones in rows down a normal road) are given numbers by the local authority, once they're numbered, you have to include the number with any fucking name you give them.  And you have to get the Royal Mail to agree with the name too.

You'd be well within your rights to burn down the lot of them.

Oliver Mardy

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 09, 2018, 06:41:06 PM

This thread was inspired by me walking down the street just now and seeing a sign on someones house by the front door that said "The Funky Bunker".

Oh, I know the guy who lives there. Short fella, unusual moustache. Say hi to Disco Hitler from me when you see him.

Dex Sawash

[tag] shack for counts [/tag]