Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:52:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Spinster Davro.

Started by Glebe, December 09, 2018, 10:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Many of you may have been wondering what happened to Bobby Davro, the '80s comedian and mimic who has been off our screens for some time now. Aside from a stint in EastEnders and a few guest appearances on things, he's been off our screens for some time now. Many of you may be wondering what happened to Bobby Davro, the '80s comedian. Some time now.

Well, the truth is that Davro has been taking something of a break from the limelight. And it's over to his old friend, Jim Bowen, to explain.

"Bobby was top of the tree in his day," explains Jim from his Bournemouth maisonette this morning. "He was the toast of the town, and everyone wanted a piece of him. I was often part of his entourage, and we'd be in and out of the clubs and nightspots both north and south, week in, week out. Whether in Sheffield or London, it was 'Bobby! Bobby! Over here! We love you!' an so on and so forth. It was like Beatlemania all over again, and I was there to witness ever drama and controversy."

But Jim isn't the only face who became good buddies with The Dav. Comedy legend Barry Cryer became fast friends with the entertainer, and here he takes up the story;

"I was sitting in my local one Saturday night, having a pint with Willie Rushton," he explains from his studio mock-up kitchen. "This would have been about '85-'86. It was quiet, and the telly was turned up. Suddenly, Davro came on some variety show or other. Within seconds, myself and Willie were literally rolling about the pub laughing, thanks to Davro's various impressions and gurn-pulls. It was a night I'll never forget, and I immediately went home and phoned his agent and told him he had a solid-gold star on his hands."

But while there was plenty of laughter and joy in store over the next couple of years, it wasn't all wine and roses and slowly Davro's star began to fade, as his close friend and confidante Richard Blackwood explains.

"Bobby was a true ledge. His populist brand of light entertainment, the impressions of well-known celebrities, the colourful sets, the dancers, it just spoke to me as a young child. I always looked up him, and we became good friends when I eventually joined the showbiz elite myself. But as he explained to me one drunken night in The Dog & Hammer, all that bright, colourful Saturday prime-time ITV glitz and glamour soon went to his head. He lost it man. He lost it."

But he was top of the tree, Richard. So what happened?

"Bobby never married," explains Blackwood, a tinge of sadness entering his vocal inflections. "Apparently, his manager, Bernie Tuffins, called him into his Soho office one day. 'Bobby, Bobby, have a cigar, love!' But when he sat him down, he had some bad news. Davro had taken to wearing a shawl and knitting, and apparently Bernie felt this wasn't a good look for a famous celeb - or so I've heard. By the time he left that office he was out of a job. And that was that."

But where is he now? Jim Bowen again;

"Bobby lives in a thatch cottage in the Outer Hebrides now," explains Jim, stifling a sob. "I last saw him about two year ago, but I haven't had the heart to go back. I love 'im, but... it's too much, man. It's too much."

So there you have it. Like you, I too await Davro's return to the Saturday night spotlight, with eager anticipation.

But I'm not holding my fucking breath.

Johnny Yesno

Bennett Brauer

Good to see Jim Bowen's living in a Bournemouth maisonette despite his recent death.

canadagoose

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 10, 2018, 12:32:34 AM
Good to see Jim Bowen's living in a Bournemouth maisonette despite his recent death.
It's what he would have wanted.

Glebe

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 10, 2018, 12:32:34 AMGood to see Jim Bowen's living in a Bournemouth maisonette despite his recent death.

Don't believe everything that's in the newspapers!

nedthemumbler

My parents had a night with him at The Duke of Cornwall recently.  Great selection of gin there:

Barman and landlord there, not my parents. 

Cool story.

Dex Sawash

Sherman Krank

If we all chip in a fiver we can get that fence around H.S. Art electrified.

Glebe

Quote from: nedthemumbler on December 10, 2018, 08:12:34 AMMy parents had a night with him at The Duke of Cornwall recently.  Great selection of gin there:

More of this type of thing please.

Quote from: Sherman Krank on December 10, 2018, 12:19:34 PMIf we all chip in a fiver we can get that fence around H.S. Art electrified.

Somebody left a little hatch open and it just escaped.

Gregory Torso

"Bobby Davro" is Greek for "shitty dad".

Glebe

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Ha! Spinster Davro got shunted over 'ere, but my Dicky and Dino lyrics stayed over in General Bullshit! :-p

Glebe

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 13, 2018, 09:11:57 AM
Ha! Spinster Davro got shunted over 'ere, but my Dicky and Dino lyrics stayed over in General Bullshit! :-p

Win some lose some!