Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:24:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

These bleeding cookie/GDPR popups

Started by nedthemumbler, December 10, 2018, 10:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedthemumbler

Incredibly tedious, especially on mobile. 

Why can a site not remember you already agreed < to whatever it is they want from us > only ten short minutes ago? 

Some sites, the New Yorker being one, you can click and click but they won't budge, forcing you to squeeze your dose of snarky long articles through the horizontal slot actually visible!?!?

Any workarounds you more tech savvy lot have found?  I'll scan in my passport and bank statements and merrily email that off to them if it turns out that would stop 'em.

BlodwynPig

If Brexit happens, these will popup everywhere from the gas station to the woodlands of rural Cambridgeshire, really spoiling your day

biggytitbo

Website articles are now becoming virtually unreadable because of the array of pops ups that spring up on them, it's like going back to the early 2000s. GDDP, cookie notices, "Hi, I notice you are using an ad blocker", "sign up to our newsletter", "Do you want to enable notifications", not to mentions the ridiculous number of ads they run. Its an absolute UX destroying shit show.

Zetetic

And all overwhelmingly avoidable - don't load up with several hundred mixed purpose trackers and you don't need to consent users to their use.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on December 10, 2018, 01:00:25 PM
And all overwhelmingly avoidable - don't load up with several hundred mixed purpose trackers and you don't need to consent users to their use.

? A popup blocked your posts meaning

Zetetic

The GDPR-compliant consent popups are only necessary and so convoluted and bloated because the sites themselves insist on trying to track visitors and because they involve themselves with hundreds of ad networks doing the same.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on December 10, 2018, 01:08:10 PM
The GDPR-compliant consent popups are only necessary and so convoluted and bloated because the sites themselves insist on trying to track visitors and because they involve themselves with hundreds of ad networks doing the same.

I thought you were implying we could do something about it

biggytitbo

Quote from: Zetetic on December 10, 2018, 01:08:10 PM

I think that's probably unavoidable for most of them as its easier and more cost effective. Might seem less so if their visitor numbers end up going down the toilet though.

Zetetic

And if user agents continue broadening their understanding of user-hostile content.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 10, 2018, 01:09:50 PM
I thought you were implying we could do something about it
You can do, to an extent. uBlock Origin has the option to enable a whole bunch of blocking filters, some which also remove cookie notices etc if you want (e.g. AdGuard Annoyances, I think).

nedthemumbler

So no app or plug in or black magic to avoid them then?

Edit sorry hadn't seen zetetic 's last post.  Will that work on iPhone?

Sebastian Cobb

Privacy Badger uses machine learning to block tracking domains, rather than lists. Although it did block google's ajax api and broke gmail the other day, so it's not perfect.

biggytitbo

If only leave would campaign on the basis of getting rid of these things it would win a second referendum hands down.

Malcy

Does my tits right In. Constant. No matter how many times you visit. If it pops up on a site more than three times I just close the tab and proclaim 'Fuck you' loudly.

It's not like the website can hear me bit it makes me feel better. Worse are the ones that ask you to watch am advert to unlock the article halfway through reading the bastard thing.

Radio Times  looking at you and you're increasingly click bait Artie's. Shame on you and Bye!!!