Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What console should I get?

Started by gabrielconroy, December 11, 2018, 08:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielconroy

Hello. I'm going to get a console, probably in January when those sweet, sweet sales are on. For a bit of context, the last console I had was a second hand PS3 that I no longer have. I enjoyed it very much when I had it, though.

My favourite game in the world is probably chess, followed by the Binding of Isaac. Other games I have enjoyed very much include:

The Last of Us
ISS Pro Evo
GTA 1
FFVII
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Portal
Space flying games (Elite, Privateer II, that Microsoft one)
Halo, Mass Effect, Quake

I'd like to explore more of the arty indie scene, too.

Which console is the best bet, then? I was going to get a Switch recently but I like the idea of using the console as a media hub as well.

I also don't have a 4K TV.

THANKS

biggytitbo

The PS4 has the biggest and most diverse game library of the current consoles, so you probably want to get that one.

brat-sampson

Yeah, if your main options are PS4 regular or XBOne, PS4 wins pretty handily. The most exclusives and Best of the Rest in one package.

Switch as a backup for that sweet Nintendo hotness and portability.

biggytitbo

If you're less bothered by new games then the Xbox one s/x has some backwards compatibility with original Xbox and Xbox 360 games and has a better blu-ray player too.

Cloud

Seems like PlayStation stuff to me so I'd say PS4.

Purely as a console I prefer the Xbone, but the game library is what counts of course

Bazooka

The Nintendo Dolphin (fans will get it). But yeah PS4 has the vastest library of titles.

In defence of Xbox, an Xbox One S is cheaper than a PS4 and you can get Game Pass for less than £50 a year at the moment which is effectively "Netflix for games".

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/xbox-game-pass

You miss out the Sony exclusives, but that's a two way street.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 11, 2018, 10:38:08 AM
If you're less bothered by new games then the Xbox one s/x has some backwards compatibility with original Xbox and Xbox 360 games and has a better blu-ray player too.

Is Xbox one the computer that 50% of them malfunction? Yeah, get that!!

biggytitbo

The Xbox One S does play 3rd party games much worse than the PS4 though - lower resolutions and more erratic frame rate. If you're in it for games then it's probably worse stumping up the extra for the X.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 11, 2018, 12:03:23 PM
Is Xbox one the computer that 50% of them malfunction? Yeah, get that!!

That was the Xbox 360, and that was over ten years ago.

QDRPHNC

I had a PS4 for a long while, then sold it and got an Xbox One X. I prefer the latter.

Mister Six

Got a PS4 and a Switch and have no regrets. Given the kind of games you like to play, a PS4 seems like the best bet.

Best value for money, performance for money and best library overall is PS4. I prefer the Switch and One X at this point but over the course of the last few years I've played so much more on PS4 and it'll also work as a media box and everything. Better UI and functionality than XB, too.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 11, 2018, 04:16:23 PM
I got an Xbox.

I see, and it hasn't malfunctioned so far? You must be one of the lucky 50%, friend.

QDRPHNC

Bear in mind with Xbox you can get the Game Pass. It's $10/month and you get new releases on there day 1.

madhair60

Xbox One, game pass, you're laughing.

St_Eddie

Tiger Electronics' Game.com.  It's got all the big franchises (Sonic, Batman, Resident Evil to name them all but three) and it's online!  What more could you possibly ask for?!

madhair60

Sorry St_Eddie, I won't buy into any system that doesn't have Duke Nukem or Mortal Kombat.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on December 12, 2018, 01:56:58 PM
Sorry St_Eddie, I won't buy into any system that doesn't have Duke Nukem or Mortal Kombat.

It's your lucky day!  It's got the definitive version of Duke Nukem 3D, presented at a mind blowing 2 frames per second.  As for Mortal Kombat, it's got that base covered as well, thanks to Mortal Kombat Trilogy, which as the title suggests, is three times better than regular Mortal Kombat!  Also, the Game.com presents all of its games in glorious black & white and as everyone knows, black and white is well classy.

gabrielconroy

Looks like a PS4 it is. Do you think it would be all that much cheaper in January? I kinda want to play it loads in my time off over Christmas.

You might save twenty quid but now's the time it sounds like you'd get best use out of it. Seems you'll save a load of money boozing and getting taxis because you'd be so busy playing those damn video games.

gabrielconroy

Agreed! What games should I get? Sounds as though the PS4 is a bit lacking in driving games. I'll get a PS4 500GB with RDR2 for £229, and

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Tekken 7 (is this any good? I used to love Tekken 3)
God of War
FIFA/PES
Journey
Maybe FFIX
Driving game
NieR: Auomata?

I feel like I'm missing a few big ones.

Beagle 2

Somebody came to me today saying they were thinking of buying a Switch for Christmas because they really liked playing local multiplayer games and I had mentioned how much I love mine, and even from that starting point I had fully convinced her to buy a PS4 instead by the end of the conversation. I don't like what you've made me, Nintendo.

Quote from: gabrielconroy on December 12, 2018, 08:57:38 PM
Agreed! What games should I get? Sounds as though the PS4 is a bit lacking in driving games. I'll get a PS4 500GB with RDR2 for £229, and

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Tekken 7 (is this any good? I used to love Tekken 3)
God of War
FIFA/PES
Journey
Maybe FFIX
Driving game
NieR: Auomata?

I feel like I'm missing a few big ones.

Gran Turismo Sport got a bad reception at launch but it's superb. Online is also more viable than any of the alternatives elsewhere. It's beautiful, handling is amazing, just lacks a bit of content perhaps but they update monthly with cars and regular new tracks. Very well supported, best driving sim I've ever played, I reckon, in terms of the feel. I'm not a sim nutter but it made me really think about getting a wheel and all the shite.

Beyond that:

The Last Of Us Remastered is a superb story driven game, probably pretty cheap by now. Elements of the gameplay are a bit last gen but the central character stuff and story is excellent.

Bloodborne is probably my game of the generation. It's hard blah blah blah but it's also incredibly rich both in gameplay and world and environmental storytelling and depth and it's just essential to try it, anyway. Will be findable very cheap these days.

Horizon Zero Dawn is an open world exploration thing where you hunt robotic dinosaurs and uses their parts to make weapons and stuff. Actually really decent story and might be the best looking game ever made, even now.

Have a look at Dragonball FighterZ if you want a fighting game. Probably the most popular game so largest online player base I heard, though thats might be SFV. It's very accessible but deep and incredibly good fun.

What Became of Edith Finch? might be a nice change of pace, interactive storytelling walking simulator kind of thing but comfortably the best of its kind ever made.

I adore Tetris Effect, absolutely adore it, but YMMV.

Spiderman is pretty and fun, if shallow. Good story even if you hate super guys like I do.

biggytitbo

I picked up a load of ps4 games recently for less than £10 each - prey, dishonoured 2, doom, deus ex mankind divided, Mafia 3, the order 1888, middle earth shadow of war, la noire. Loads of other good stuff for £15 - uncharted 4, bloodborne, witcher 3, last of us, until dawn - fill your boots!

Penfold

Yakuza 0

If you like cut scenes.

I can't remember which Yakuza games have demos on the PS Store.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 12, 2018, 09:35:53 PM
What Became of Edith Finch? might be a nice change of pace, interactive storytelling walking simulator kind of thing but comfortably the best of its kind ever made.

I second this motion.  A truly beautiful game.

Kryton

If you feeling nostalgic, then you can always splurge some money on mini-consoles
https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/best-retro-consoles/

For more or less the price of a PS4 you can get a NES/SNES/Megadrive/Atari/PS1/Commodore 64 etc and they have loads of games built in. I think the Megadrive alone has 80 games alone. SNES has 21, PS1 has 20. C64 has 64.