Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:42:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pewdiepie in trouble again

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, December 12, 2018, 10:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

When I first encountered the name pewdiepie I reasoned that I could save myself some time by dismissing someone commentating on YouTube and calling themselves that as a wanker. I stand by this decision.

Pijlstaart

Pewdiepie had hundreds of hours of videos on youtube. i can guarantee you that you're taking him out of context here. where did he even say that? Have you even seen the full pewdiepie videos or just read about it on feminist new websites? Maybe you should watch them with an open mind, you might learn something. Maybe it is because you know in a debate you would lose, he has helped a lot of people with his work, a lot of young men.

haha that's a wonderfully specific and layered joke

Buelligan

I hope a giant cat eats him to death, the little stinker.  Pewdiepie too.

Captain Z

You can watch Pewdiepie's videos and dismiss him as a childish wanker, or you can dismiss him as a childish wanker without watching and save yourself the time.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I'm more outraged at the ads on that site. Reflects badly on the paper. I can only assume that the content of every article on that website is complete unfiltered trash.

bgmnts

This will be forgotten in less than 2 days.

bgmnts

Weren't the Youtube complaining that people like Pewdiepieand Logan Paul were omitted from a year review of YouTube?

Shambles.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 12, 2018, 10:44:58 AM
When I first encountered the name pewdiepie I reasoned that I could save myself some time by dismissing someone commentating on YouTube and calling themselves that as a wanker. I stand by this decision.

"A wanker worth 20 million quid" as my mother would definitely say. Sad to realise that loads of people do think like that. A rich person can not be a dickhead by definition for a lot of people.

thenoise

I know enough to know he says 'piewdiepie' in a stupid voice. I assume he does video game videos, most of these types seem to.

I might read that article later. But it's almost lunch time...

biggytitbo

Everytime the old media contrive some fake scandal about people like pewdiepie they just gain more subscribers and become even more popular amongst their fanbase.

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 12, 2018, 12:40:31 PM
Everytime the old media contrive some fake scandal about people like pewdiepie they just gain more subscribers and become even more popular amongst their fanbase.

Rushing to defend an utter Nazi cunt with a mainstream media conspiracy theory?

THAT'S BIGGY BINGO!

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 12, 2018, 12:40:31 PM

Well this particular 'scandal' is based on something pointed out by Hasan Piker of TYT on twitter, so not really old media, or even contrived really. Learn to read before posting I guess?

biggytitbo

Well it's an observation, their fans are impervious to criticism coming from the msm. I don't know about this particular incident but more often than not it's some trivial thing they've blown out of all proportion as part of their visceral hatred of youtubers and other online stars who reach vast audiences they can't touch as they spiral into deserved obsolescence.

Barry Admin

Complete nonsense cooked up by The Verge. He gave a shoutout to 28 small channels, didn't do extensive background checks, and one of them apparently does have antisemetic content in other videos, which he was unaware of. He's now edited their mention out of the video.

Realistically, in a list of 28 shout outs at the end of a video, they weren't going to get much exposure - although The Verge lied about how many new followers they got from the video. They've clearly got far, far more exposure from the likes of The Verge, TYT, the Independent, and forums like this one.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 12, 2018, 12:46:10 PM
Well this particular 'scandal' is based on something pointed out by Hasan Piker of TYT on twitter, so not really old media, or even contrived really. Learn to read before posting I guess?

No idea who he is but I can see that loads of major media outlets are covering the nontroversy, like some elderly high court judge who has never heard of the Beatles but finds the mere idea of them deeply suspect. They just seem to be slightly obsessed with him and other 'online stars' for some reason. Or is it just clickbait?

JesusAndYourBush

The one time I saw any of his videos (I watched 1 to 2 minutes before quitting) he kept making strange woop bloop noises every 10 seconds like the guy on Dick Dastardly Catch The Pigeon.  I assumed he had some form of tourettes but after a minute realised those woop bloop noises was him saying pewdiepie in a silly voice.  I concluded he was a wanker and never paid him any heed from that moment on.  Can someone tell me - does he always make those noises in every video or was I unlucky enough to catch a one-off?

biggytitbo

Some Buzzfeed reporter is now claiming he is anti-semitic because he was playing an online shooter and someone else playing had a dodgy avatar.

They really are idiots aren't they?

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 12, 2018, 12:59:28 PM
Or is it just clickbait?

Very possibly, let's see if we can get a discussion going without lazily vomiting out the same talking points

biggytitbo

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 12, 2018, 12:59:50 PM
The one time I saw any of his videos (I watched 1 to 2 minutes before quitting) he kept making strange woop bloop noises every 10 seconds like the guy on Dick Dastardly Catch The Pigeon.  I assumed he had some form of tourettes but after a minute realised those woop bloop noises was him saying pewdiepie in a silly voice.  I concluded he was a wanker and never paid him any heed from that moment on.  Can someone tell me - does he always make those noises in every video or was I unlucky enough to catch a one-off?

I can't really watch his stuff either and I just concluded it wasnt really for me. But he doesn't seem to be a Logan Paul - ie an actual psychopath.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 12, 2018, 12:43:58 PM
Rushing to defend an utter Nazi cunt with a mainstream media conspiracy theory?

I think it would be better to reserve the Nazi epithet for actual Nazis, like the ones we support in Ukraine for instance, rather than some youtuber fella who made a mistake. Devaluing such serious terms doesn't do us any favours.

I highly doubt that Pewdiepie is any kind of committed antisemite. I doubt that he has a serious position on matters like that. What makes these stories interesting to me is how pewdiepie represents the way the wind blows in the 'online' community at large, where all this business of using racial epithets, being a 'wage gap skeptic', recommending Jordan Peterson's book and having Ben Shapiro guest in one of your videos (all things pewdiepie has done) is all nothing to write home about, no indication of anything concerning, all irony or meme culture

Meanwhile, JonTron's brain gets pickled, goes all race science on everyone, and we're not supposed to worry about what's going on here?

Benevolent Despot

Welcome to episode 1 million of Demented Paranoid Stalkers.

Barry Admin

Not really sure what the first paragraph has to do with the second one, to be honest.

More broadly speaking, I find the contrast of threads like this or the Nazi pug one with threads like this https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,70656.0.html quite odd.

I'm not sure I can actually articulate why at the minute though, exhausted, sorry. Essentially there's a surprising amount of ideological bias on display, and if you/we don't like someone (because they make shit screeching YouTube videos) then they might as well be guilty... I mean who cares about the actual facts and that?

Not aiming that at anyone in particular, but certainly nodding towards the "utter nazi cunt" statement, which is just breathtakingly ignorant.

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 12, 2018, 01:41:18 PM
Not really sure what the first paragraph has to do with the second one, to be honest.

Yeah I didn't articulate that very well at all (also tired) , I guess I'm trying to say that there's a drift towards a kind of ambient reactionary politics in these kinds of online spaces, and that JonTron is the extreme end of that, while pewdiepie seems to be wading in the same stream but less affected by it.

People can disagree with me on that, but that's my read

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on December 12, 2018, 01:41:18 PM
Welcome to episode 1 million of Demented Paranoid Stalkers.

what happened to you man, why are you so angry these days

madhair60

(Raises both arms in concillatory pose) People PLEASE, PewDiePie is SHIT THAT LEARNED HOW TO WEAR CLOTHES, just FOCUS ON HOW HE'S SOMEHOW ANIMATE BUMGRAVY and also RACIST

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 12, 2018, 01:08:41 PM
I think it would be better to reserve the Nazi epithet for actual Nazis, like the ones we support in Ukraine for instance, rather than some youtuber fella who made a mistake. Devaluing such serious terms doesn't do us any favours.

Any others? Or just those ones?