Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:25:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bizarre Careers Outside of Comedy

Started by Tony Tony Tony, December 12, 2018, 10:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

I have just discovered the most odd piece of comedy related trivia I have ever encountered.

It turns out Bob Carolgees has invested some of the untold millions he and Spit the Dog earned in a fancy candle shop near Frodsham in Cheshire.

The website is at http://www.carolgeescandles.com/ if proof were needed.

Firstly,I would dearly love to know if any CaBers have visited? Was it the waxy wonderland the website suggests?

Secondly can anyone floor me with equally bizarre investments/business involvements/careers after or outside of comedy for our fave funnymen/women?

EDIT I have just perused the 'useful tips' section of the Carlogees candles site. Turns out Bob can give shedloads of handy hints for all your candle needs. I heartily recommend a look... its probably the funniest thing I will see today

Bennett Brauer

It's been mentioned a few times on here before without going full CaB meme. There was a game on it involving his hawking hound at one time.

bobloblaw

Bob's name and visage are surprisingly downplayed on the site. Guess the candles can speak for themselves.

Brundle-Fly

Freddie 'Parrott Face' Davies ran a wool shop in Pitlochry, Scotland.

David Copperfield thatches rooves in the Taunton area.

Rowland Rivron is now a much sought after painter and decorator in North London.

poodlefaker

Stewart Lee does English & History tutition (key stage 3/GCSE) in the Hackney area

thenoise

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on December 12, 2018, 10:47:06 AM
I have just discovered the most odd piece of comedy related trivia I have ever encountered.

It turns out Bob Carolgees has invested some of the untold millions he and Spit the Dog earned in a fancy candle shop near Frodsham in Cheshire.

The website is at http://www.carolgeescandles.com/ if proof were needed.

Firstly,I would dearly love to know if any CaBers have visited? Was it the waxy wonderland the website suggests?

Secondly can anyone floor me with equally bizarre investments/business involvements/careers after or outside of comedy for our fave funnymen/women?

EDIT I have just perused the 'useful tips' section of the Carlogees candles site. Turns out Bob can give shedloads of handy hints for all your candle needs. I heartily recommend a look... its probably the funniest thing I will see today

I'm not quite convinced that Bob's Candle shop is still going.  The 90s website and dead links isn't that promising, although there are comments on the Facebook group from as recently as 2017 (no references to Bob himself since 2014 tho).  It is supposed to be part of Lady Heyes Craft and Antique Centre, whose (also very dated looking) website make reference to Candles Plus, but whose TripAdvisor reviews also suggest that Bob sold his candle shop in or before 2016.

Tony Tony Tony

Seems Carolgees Candles didn't set the world alight?

thenoise

The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

And Bob Carolgees Candles Plus has burned so very brightly.

Brundle-Fly

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Bob Carolgees is a cunt, and he can shove his candles up his arse.

Brundle-Fly

Sebastian Cobb

I was going to start a similar thread the other day about how many comedians used to be teachers.

Boyle
Davies
Ranganathan

Pranet

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 12, 2018, 07:05:58 PM
I actually like those. Would be nice to own a Mallet. Pronounced 'Mal-lay', naturally.

I was thinking of mentioning this. I found out about his artistic career a few years ago when I was walking past a shop in Salisbury which had a display of his work.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 12, 2018, 09:59:46 PM
I was going to start a similar thread the other day about how many comedians used to be teachers.

Boyle
Davies
Ranganathan

And from the old guard...

Jim Bowen (PE)
Tom O' Connor (maths and music)

I would love to hear from any former pupils of their views on their teaching styles. I know Greg Davies tells an excellent story about one of his pupils attempting to have him nominated as Teacher of the Year on the basis that ""Mr Davies is a well good laugh, and he don't make us do no work."

Pranet

From memory so this could be balls..

Hale and Pace met at teaching college.

Frank Skinner did a stint at a FE college.

John Cleese taught at his old school while waiting to go to university.

Did did Nick Hancock actually teach or was that just in that sitcom?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on December 12, 2018, 10:41:22 PM
And from the old guard...

Jim Bowen (PE)
Tom O' Connor (maths and music)

I would love to hear from any former pupils of their views on their teaching styles. I know Greg Davies tells an excellent story about one of his pupils attempting to have him nominated as Teacher of the Year on the basis that ""Mr Davies is a well good laugh, and he don't make us do no work."

In his most recent Netflix comedy You Magnificent Beast he has a review from one of his students along the lines of 'Your lessons were fun, but you were a shit teacher'.

Come to think of it I find Man Down, and him on RHLSP talking about how him and his mate used to underline parts in hymns to make rude words far funnier than his stand up.

I also approve of you padding the profession on to bowen and o'connor, if only because it maintains the angle of my post of teachers.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pranet on December 12, 2018, 10:41:04 PM
I was thinking of mentioning this. I found out about his artistic career a few years ago when I was walking past a shop in Salisbury which had a display of his work.

Derren Brown's artwork blows me away far more than his mind tricks.

bigfatheart

Quote from: Pranet on December 12, 2018, 10:58:36 PM

Yep, he talked about it when he was a guest on Room 101, the first one after Paul Merton took over from him. He was a teacher (PE and drama I think?) but only for about a year or so.

Jack Shaftoe

French and Saunders also teachers, weren't they? Or was it that they met in teacher training but didn't get as far as actual teaching?

buzby

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on December 13, 2018, 07:38:39 AM
French and Saunders also teachers, weren't they? Or was it that they met in teacher training but didn't get as far as actual teaching?
French got as far as being an English and Drama teacher at Parliament Hill School for Girls. They met on a drama teachers' course at the Central School of Speech and Drama - French wanted to be a drama teacher, Saunders' mother had enrolled her on the course by mistake (she never wanted to be a teacher) and she went on the dole after the course.

Panbaams

Quote from: Pranet on December 12, 2018, 10:58:36 PM

Speaking of Nick Hancock, he became a mortgage broker after leaving They Think It's All Over. I'd thought that he was doing this for a good decade or so, but according to Wikipedia it was between 2005 and 2007.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Panbaams on December 13, 2018, 11:39:47 AM
Speaking of Nick Hancock, he became a mortgage broker after leaving They Think It's All Over. I'd thought that he was doing this for a good decade or so, but according to Wikipedia it was between 2005 and 2007.

He's an insurance consultant now.*

* in a new play he's touring https://www.malvern-theatres.co.uk/whats-on/octopus-soup-starring-nick-hancock/

zomgmouse

Not quite comedy but

QuoteThe Vanilla Ice Project is an American reality television series on the DIY Network. It is hosted by handyman and rapper Rob Van Winkle a.k.a. Vanilla Ice

thenoise

Jerry Sadowitz works in International Magic shop in Clerkenwell (or at least did until recently). He also publishes a clandestine Magic magazine that hardly anyone gets to read.

MuteBanana

Not sure if this is comedy as such, but Jean Chalopin, creator of Inspector Gadget is now owner and CEO of an "interesting" offshore bank.