Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Online

Started by Barry Admin, December 12, 2018, 02:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Hmm, mixed bag this. I'm housebound so playing it a lot, even though I've not finished single player yet. Not sure why it's a "beta", but it is quite slight in content. It also doesn't have as fun a sandbox as GTA because, you know, no helicopters and such.

I'm basically really enjoying it though, as I just love hunting and grinding. I've figured out ways to mostly get left alone, and just bought a new horse and nearly have my first ability maxed out. Not spent much on weapons so far, the varmint rifle is a beast if you can hit headshots, so I've fully upgraded it, and use either that or my trusty bolt action.

The UI for weapon switching is clunky. The missions are fairly crap. The story is underwhelming. The PVP modes are absolutely atrocious.

But yeah, I do still just love riding around on my horsey, sniping the odd cunt. Also love going on rampages to farm cops for XP.

QDRPHNC

I remember being jealous reading your GTAV adventures and hoping I could start something like that with RDRO, but like GTAV, I'm just not gelling with it. The world seems empty and thin compared to the story mode and the way the guns and map work make being sneaky or tactical impossible. I'm not totally soured on it, still open to working with it, but initial impressions aren't favourable.

Barry Admin

It's probably fun in a posse. I just realised last night that crouching seems to take you off the radar, so that might come in useful for you?  It's definitely thin on content, I'm sure they'll add businesses and stuff pretty soon.

Unfortunately they've brought over all the crap, grindy parts of GTAO, which is understandable given how profitable it's been for them. I just wish they'd also made a lot of improvements to the core systems, such as the missions. But yeah, still finding it compelling enough for now in enough ways to keep me grinding.

kittens

pretty sure crouching does get rid of your blip. crouched yesterday when this motherfucker was hunting me and i blew his brain off by surprising him from a bush. playing this every night but i don't know if it is fun. i've now got 100% on online story missions - they were bad. but i'll keep plugging away.

A no radar situation would make this more fun. I was hoping that the blips might have been absent full stop. A fog system over an area where there are players could be much more interesting. Denser fog = more players. More populated area such as St Denis gives smaller clouds, but in the wilderness it might cover a bigger area to help players pass off as NPCs if they wanted to be crafty. A vague grid system would work and would make for much more fun in doing hold ups and so on.

Barry Admin

I supppse it's good to have a warning though, as - even more than GTAO - most people just want to stay away from other folks, and grind shit out. I load in to somewhere I don't want to play, and the game puts me in an instance with loads of people in that map segment. Then I fast travel to St Denis or wherever it is I actually want to play. Then I don't have to worry about the stuff I've just hunted being stolen, or my mission being fucked up by a posse. Sometimes I like that excitement, but in GTA as well there was a huge amount of people that just found that sort of thing shit and annoying.

kittens

yesterday i purposefully hung out by the butcher and killed a guy coming in laden with corpses and skins and it felt absolutely great.

kittens

i also saw this gang of dudes who'd got a cart and filled it with pelts and corpses and they were all protecting this main dude who was selling it all. it was cool but i would have liked to have shot them all in the head.

I guess in my vision of it there is no incentive for trolls to pester grinders though. All the grinder has to do is act like an NPC or sneak if entering an area busy with other players. If they wanted to take a punt at lurking somewhere and attacking everything that came through they'd soon find themselves up to the tits in Pinkertons.

Cuellar

I'm in chapter 3 of the main story and I still don't know what a pinkertons is.

Baddies?

Jerzy Bondov

They're a private law enforcement agency hired by the wealthy to track down outlaws.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 13, 2018, 03:34:00 PM
I supppse it's good to have a warning though, as - even more than GTAO - most people just want to stay away from other folks, and grind shit out.

That's so boring. I played GTA Online once and decided never again as soon as I found out you have to pay to blow up people's cars. Just thought fine, obviously I'm just going to be spoiling people's fun, which they're somehow having. A huge varied map with mountains, countryside, desert and a city, plus fighter jets - should have been a clear step up from IV's multiplayer which was already really fun, but it was so boring. Was there a free mode I missed out on?

Barry Admin

That was a typically baffling decision by Rockstar, aimed at limiting "griefing." You could trail round after someone, shooting them in the head over and over again for days, but blow their car up too many times and you could end up in a "bad sport" lobby with hackers and dickheads for a week, while being forced to wear a dunces cap. I got myself sent their purposely, it was fucking mental. Tank bastards absolutely everywhere.

Outside of Bad Sport, when you got a tank bastard in a lobby with people who knew what they were doing, everyone would simply ram their most expensive motors right into the tank, crippling him with insurance costs and bad sport marks.

Barry Admin

I've been having great fun fucking off the grinding, and hunting players instead of animals. Crouch invisibility makes for some really slow, methodical tracking, and hiding in bushes and such. Then BOOM, headshot from my trusty bolt action. Really need to save up and get the Rolling Block so I can have the longest range scope rather than the medium one I'm locked to on the bolt action.

Barry Admin

I'm fucking worn out with tapping A button, in the single player too. It was bad enough on foot in GTA, now you have to do it all the time on your horsey as well. It's an absurdly awful design choice.

kilgore

Has everyone claimed their free Arabian horse? I haven't seen it mentioned here.

If you want one, visit the stable and select the chestnut (I think) Arabian. Easy!

Get the insurance too.

kittens

i bought a microtransaction. £5. don't even like playing this game but it was such a good deal.

Penfold

Quote from: kittens on December 15, 2018, 10:02:33 PM
i bought a microtransaction. £5. don't even like playing this game but it was such a good deal.

You could have saved that and downloaded 12 episodes of The Flagrant Ones.

I have little idea about basketball but at least 20 minutes of The Boys and Carl chatting.

Although if you wait a week it'll be 13 episodes, if you wait a fortnight it'll be double that. Is this the right topic for this conversation?

kittens

Quote from: Penfold on December 15, 2018, 10:31:14 PM
You could have saved that and downloaded 12 episodes of The Flagrant Ones.

I have little idea about basketball but at least 20 minutes of The Boys and Carl chatting.

Although if you wait a week it'll be 13 episodes, if you wait a fortnight it'll be double that. Is this the right topic for this conversation?

the one episode i listened to was so boring it made me dislike the boys. liked the chat at the start but the boring boring basketball stuff made me cry.

back on topic: cowboys

kittens

i an officially bored of this game. there is nothing to do. running around trying to get kidnapped cos that might be fun. i'll wait until they release stuff for it now i reckon.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 14, 2018, 10:04:44 PM
I'm fucking worn out with tapping A button, in the single player too. It was bad enough on foot in GTA, now you have to do it all the time on your horsey as well. It's an absurdly awful design choice.

Is there an option to switch this to toggle somewhere in the menus? I'm sure I remember reading about that somewhere.

Barry Admin

No, New Jack said that in the other thread, that might be where you saw it. You can toggle run, for sure, which is great as it means you go flying through doors into shops like a crazed nut all the time. But actual sprinting requires tapping the button. Furthermore, the toggle option in accessibility doesn't work on the horsey, and there you are meant to tap the button in sync with the hooves.

They've been locked in to this horrendous design choice for like two decades now.

I've got most of my grinding done at the minute anyway. I got a semi-automatic pistol, the Rolling Block, wraps for all my guns (one of the best purchases you can make... seriously.) I've got the decent ability cards fairly well ranked up so that I can survive headshots and murder people. Want another semi-auto pistol or Volcanic to duel-wield instead of the shitty Cattleman, but I went into a free mode sidearms match yesterday and was dominating.

Oh yeah, got express ammo too, didn't buy the obscenely expensive blueprint for split point.

Another 7 levels and I'll have my third passive ability, but they've nerfed earn rates again from stuff like story missions etc, and there's so little content that I'm just not bothering much now.

Plus they spend all their time removing stuff like cougar spawns, instead of fixing the damn game. Priority is to sell more microtransactions, rather than fix broken missions that don't start. Oh, and the bug that means the butcher robs you of money all the damn time. Fish and cougars get patched overnight, but stuff like that is still happening.

Having to pay to fast travel is absurd. Keeping your dead eye topped up with cigars or booze costs a fortune or is a huge grind. I enjoy the Showdowns more now that I'm a beast, but half the time you end up spectating the shitty PUBG mode, because everyone quits when they die, and that opens player slots which everyone seeking a game then pointlessly loads in to... I mean, this is basic stuff that should be fixed. Ditto the mode where there's four teams and the colours for the enemies and friendlies are fucking indistinct, like yellow and mustard or something! Fix it!

There's still stuff I really love about it, but overall it's a total shitshow.

kittens

Fishfinger

Quote from: kittens on December 19, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
the wraps do something?

They reduce the need to clean your weapons.

Personally all I want from online updates is 1) invite-only sessions and 2) more camp/posse activities, like card games and sharing food and other items.

I played GTA Online for well over a year with friends just arsing around with heists and 15 minute races (to maximise the payout) and had a grand time. The 15 minute thing also works for RDO, but you can't have a posse/friends-only race yet, it seems.