Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Old Man and the Gun

Started by Sebastian Cobb, December 12, 2018, 10:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone else seen this? I saw it tonight and really enjoyed it, Rob Redford playing a charming old bank robber, Sissy Spacek being amazing, Danny Glover and Tom Waits as cronies. It's a nice story which isn't exactly action-packed but good fun all the same. Casey Affleck is decent as the copper as well.

Shit Good Nose

It's...okay. 

It should be brighter and breezier, I think, given the story and the characters.  As it is, it's too dour and plain.

Acting wise it's a nice sign-off for Redford (although didn't I hear the other day he's already u-turned on that?), but I don't think it will be remembered among his best films.

Sebastian Cobb

Well I wasn't trying to compare it to The Sting or anything.

Shit Good Nose

I just kept thinking it was prime Coen brothers material, and how they would have added the dry quirkiness, humour and positive vibe it needed and deserved.

It's a VERY flat film.

SteveDave

It could've done with more of Casey Affleck gaining respect for what Robert Redford does.

Then the meeting in the bathroom would've had more oomph.

I liked it overall though.

rasta-spouse

I liked the look of it, totally captured the period. But I don't buy the gentleman thief thing as being exceptional enough to warrant a film being made of it - it's traumatising for anyone to be held at gunpoint and robbed no matter how politely it's done.