Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"The Secret Story of the BBC Christmas Tapes"

Started by Ambient Sheep, December 13, 2018, 12:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

A rather early heads-up...

BBC4 show, Sunday 23rd December 2018, 21:30 - 22:00.

Further info and even some contributions from people in the know here:
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2316640/the-secret-story-of-the-bbc-christmas-tapes-on-bbc4

Norton Canes

Cheers for the heads-up, Sheepy. DS is asking me to log in, so here's a link to the (probably briefer) description on the Radio Times site for otters who may not have a DS account.

Norton Canes

Though humans can use it too, it's not just for aquatic mammals.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 13, 2018, 01:03:03 PM
Cheers for the heads-up, Sheepy. DS is asking me to log in, so here's a link to the (probably briefer) description on the Radio Times site for otters who may not have a DS account.

Ummmm, I'm confused, because even when not logged in you can still scroll down past the "Hey there! Welcome to the Digital Spy forums. If you'd like to join in, please sign in or register" prompt (and subsequent advert), to read the actual thread.  At least you can on my phone...

I never knowingly post links that require a login just to read.

The Radio Times listing actually has different info though, so thanks for posting it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 13, 2018, 01:20:50 PM
Ummmm, I'm confused, because even when not logged in you can still scroll down past the "Hey there! Welcome to the Digital Spy forums. If you'd like to join in, please sign in or register" prompt (and subsequent advert), to read the actual thread.  At least you can on my phone...

I never knowingly post links that require a login just to read.

The Radio Times listing actually has different info though, so thanks for posting it.

It works for me so I'm not sure why it didn't for Norton.

Blumf

Norton Canes

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 13, 2018, 02:11:02 PM
It works for me so I'm not sure why it didn't for Norton

I think it might be because I'm registered but logged out because I haven't been to the site for a while, so it knows I'm someone with an account rather than a newcomer. Perhaps.   

DrGreggles

I spent years trying to get copies of these, and then was so disappointed with them when I finally watched them.
Not sure what I was expecting, to be honest.

Fabian Thomsett

'Story'? What's there to know? Michael Aspel made a tit joke once in 1978?

This might be quite fun if it's Rhys Thomas, though.

biggytitbo

It'll be that rainbow clip again, someone with their bum out and someone else saying fuck in the early 80s.

My kind of TV.

Bennett Brauer

Tom Baker swearing at K9 is apparently part of it. It won't all be stuff that's already on youtube surely?

Bennett Brauer

Still no sign of the Christmas tape where Tony Francis gives Anna Soubry a right royal snogging. Don't get your hopes up, that one was Central Television's.

Phil_A

I will very surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a parody like Rhys Thomas's previous BBC 4 specials.

imitationleather

Quote from: Phil_A on December 13, 2018, 06:26:01 PM
I will very surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a parody like Rhys Thomas's previous BBC 4 specials.

This would be best-case-scenario from my perspective.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: imitationleather on December 13, 2018, 06:32:59 PM
This would be best-case-scenario from my perspective.

Ditto.

I don't see one of his reviews of the year anywhere in the schedule, so fingers crossed.

Pranet

Well Simon Harries is involved who is very interested in archive tv and has made programmes using archives before so I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually about the Christmas tapes.

Rhys Thomas has one of his end of the year things on December 27th on BBC2.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Pranet on December 13, 2018, 07:06:37 PM
Rhys Thomas has one of his end of the year things on December 27th on BBC2.

Ahhh, didn't spot that.  Thanks - I'd have missed it otherwise.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 13, 2018, 02:41:21 PM
I spent years trying to get copies of these, and then was so disappointed with them when I finally watched them.
Not sure what I was expecting, to be honest.

Which ones did you see?  White Powder Christmas (1978) & Good King Memorex (1979) are pretty good and probably the best ones, but in comparison I found the 1980 & 1981 ones to be massively disappointing, and the two ITV tapes I saw were utterly feeble and embarrassing.

the

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 13, 2018, 12:29:18 PMA rather early heads-up...

BBC4 show, Sunday 23rd December 2018, 21:30 - 22:00.

Further info and even some contributions from people in the know here:
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2316640/the-secret-story-of-the-bbc-christmas-tapes-on-bbc4

Parody show or not, thank you for the heads up Sheepy. And season's bleatings to you :)

DrGreggles

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 14, 2018, 02:42:34 AM
Which ones did you see?  White Powder Christmas (1978) & Good King Memorex (1979) are pretty good and probably the best ones, but in comparison I found the 1980 & 1981 ones to be massively disappointing, and the two ITV tapes I saw were utterly feeble and embarrassing.

I think I had them all from 78-84ish.
White Powder Christmas and Good King Memorex are certainly these best (or least bad), but they got rapidly worse.

biniput

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on December 13, 2018, 04:29:59 PM
Tom Baker swearing at K9 is apparently part of it. It won't all be stuff that's already on youtube surely?

The trouble is that there are millions of these on the tube as it is. All the BBC and millions from ITV and assorted regionals did them even into this millennium. Whole Youtube channels exist for these things.

pigamus

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 14, 2018, 08:54:06 PM
I think I had them all from 78-84ish.
White Powder Christmas and Good King Memorex are certainly these best (or least bad), but they got rapidly worse.

They're kind of fascinating for about ten minutes, but ultimately they're just a bit seedy and depressing.

DrGreggles

Random screen grab from White Powder Christmas:

BritishHobo

I've been interested in this because I assumed it would be more about the background of TV Centre at the time, and look at who made them and why, how they were shared, etc. If it's really just a collection of the clips themselves with some laughing talking heads, that's a shame.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I watched this the other day. It's only half an hour long, but I felt that was enough time to cover an interesting if fairly slight subject. As for the talking heads, they're all people who were actually involved in the making of the tapes, so you do get some insight into the things you mentioned, BH.

olliebean

Bit of a cheek to claim that Noel Edmonds/Auntie's Bloomers created a new genre by showing the outtakes on TV in the 80s and 90s, when It'll Be Alright on the Night had been doing it since 1977.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on December 24, 2018, 09:30:19 AM
Bit of a cheek to claim that Noel Edmonds/Auntie's Bloomers created a new genre by showing the outtakes on TV in the 80s and 90s, when It'll Be Alright on the Night had been doing it since 1977.

Are there ever any outtakes of Denis Norden saying "Welcome to It'll Be Alright On The Night 7 *OH BOLLOCKS I GOT THE NUMBER WRONG MAY WE DO IT AGAIN PLEASE*."

Always got the sense he was somehow a bit aloof from having his own outtakes existing.