Author Topic: "The Secret Story of the BBC Christmas Tapes"  (Read 2713 times)

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
Re: "The Secret Story of the BBC Christmas Tapes"
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
A good laugh but very salty language if you decide to watch it with your octogenarian parents, which I did. They didn't seem to mind hearing Tom Baker effin' and jeffin' but I blushed a few times. It was the strip club scene from Minder in 1980 all over again.

That Grace Dent What We Watched For Christmas TV 1988 show on before was honest about how dated and shit LE tv was back then but the clips selection was mostly limp rather than enjoyably cringeworthy.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »
I watched this the other day. It's only half an hour long, but I felt that was enough time to cover an interesting if fairly slight subject. As for the talking heads, they're all people who were actually involved in the making of the tapes, so you do get some insight into the things you mentioned, BH.

I liked it a fair bit but did find Phillip Schofield really irritating when he tried to make it all sound far more dramatic than it really was. The guys behind the tapes were far more interesting like you say and it's a shame it didn't just feature them. Still, the clips themselves were a lot of fun and I'm glad I watched the show in general.

daf

• Laminated with 'Clarifoil'
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »
That Grace Dent What We Watched For Christmas TV 1988 show

Wonder if they're going to do an annual one of these - so 1989 next year?

Norton Canes

• Watching the Wednesday wheel
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »
As long as they don't let Grace Dent present it, slurring and flaunting her gaucherie like a sloshed lush.

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
As long as they don't let Grace Dent present it, slurring and flaunting her gaucherie like a sloshed lush.

I watched this with my folks and the entire show they couldn't get their heads around Dent: her face, delivery, manner and revealing dress. "Who is this weird person?" uttered at every one of her links.

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »
A good laugh but very salty language if you decide to watch it with your octogenarian parents, which I did. They didn't seem to mind hearing Tom Baker effin' and jeffin' but I blushed a few times.

Ditto in my household. I Was a bit disappointed the tapes weren’t  a bit  more imaginative than well known faces being liberal with their Fs and Cs.

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
Random screen grab from White Power Christmas:

Little and Large racists?

the

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
Bit of a cheek to claim that Noel Edmonds/Auntie's Bloomers created a new genre by showing the outtakes on TV in the 80s and 90s, when It'll Be Alright on the Night had been doing it since 1977.

This thought crossed my mind too as I watched, but I concluded that it was referring specifically to BBC clips. I don't think IBAONT used BBC clips (or if it did, very rarely), and it wasn't until Auntie's Bloomers in 1991 that there was any programming based on BBC outtakes.

This was an enjoyable show, made a decent attempt to fill in the story behind the more famous tapes. There was an element of the talking heads trying to tell you how to feel but it was thankfully minimal.

Nicely put together by Rhys Thomas and well researched (including archive work - didn't spot a single clip that looked like it was sourced from Youtube). Used a decent selection of the funniest moments whilst keeping the sexually-frustrated beardy engineer atmosphere in full view. There were also some clips snuck in from other Xmas tapes (such as the YTV one with the angry old man on it).

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
This thought crossed my mind too as I watched, but I concluded that it was referring specifically to BBC clips. I don't think IBAONT used BBC clips (or if it did, very rarely), and it wasn't until Auntie's Bloomers in 1991 that there was any programming based on BBC outtakes.

Yes, although they did use the word "genre" and BBC outtakes are not a genre in themselves. IBAotN used clips from ITV Christmas tapes, which were not exclusively filth as this programme sought to imply.

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2018, 12:14:53 PM »
As long as they let Grace Dent present it, with her fucking brilliant, massive knockers front and centre.

FTFY.