Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Big Taskmaster Thread

Started by Ja'moke, December 13, 2018, 01:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

A lot of people in the Dave twitter announcement thread seem to wants Tom Allen. Which means Tom Allen has a lot of twitter accounts.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 17, 2019, 03:55:02 PM
A lot of people in the Dave twitter announcement thread seem to wants Tom Allen. Which means Tom Allen has a lot of twitter accounts.

Is he on Avalon's books?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 17, 2019, 04:17:38 PM
Is he on Avalon's books?

No, I checked that and he's with OffTheKerb. He has been on a lot of shows lately though (Hypothetical, Roast Battle, The Stand Up Sketch Show, Insert Name Here and various others) so he seems to be popular. I'm only basing my dislike of him due to a work in progress show where he berated the audience for not laughing enough and poor appearances on Hypothetical and Roast Battle, otherwise I've not seen that much of him so perhaps he's been better elsewhere.

bigfatheart

My Mum likes him, which, with all due respect to my Mum, isn't always a strong endorsement.

From the Taskmaster Reddit I've seen that David Baddiel tweeted and then quickly deleted something about doing Taskmaster, and someone posted a picture of themselves with Paul Sinha on Instagram while making reference to having taken part in a task. So they'd be good shouts, although considering the way Taskmaster is filmed it might not even be this series they're on (if they are indeed on at all).

Twed

I don't fancy Baddiel as a contestant.

Does Taskmaster have an actual official "one or two women and one Indian" template?

Twed

Hoping for a real heavy-hitter contestant this series like Johnny Vegas.

bigfatheart

Quote from: Twed on February 17, 2019, 06:52:40 PM
Does Taskmaster have an actual official "one or two women and one Indian" template?

Don't know if they've officially said as much, but the last four series have definitely followed a template of having two women - one younger, one older - and three men - two younger, one older - with one non-white person in there. It'd be pretty remarkable if it had happened by accident.

Incidentally, one theory I've seen is that John Robins and Richard Herring may be on a series together, as both have started extremely niche internet ventures, with Herring's stone-clearing podcast and Robins doing a bad golf thing on YouTube (with Alex Horne having appeared once). Not sure if there's anything in it, not least because Herring will do that shit regardless, but it'd be interesting if it was. Especially if Graham Linehan was another guest and it turned out the last year or so of his life was an extended bit for Taskmaster.

JamesTC

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 17, 2019, 06:59:35 PMEspecially if Graham Linehan was another guest and it turned out the last year or so of his life was an extended bit for Taskmaster.

"So Graham, you were transphobic for a year and got the police out to warn you on future behaviour... but Richard did a podcast on clearing stones. I award Richard five points and Graham four points"

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 17, 2019, 06:49:57 PM
My Mum likes him, which, with all due respect to my Mum, isn't always a strong endorsement.

From the Taskmaster Reddit I've seen that David Baddiel tweeted and then quickly deleted something about doing Taskmaster, and someone posted a picture of themselves with Paul Sinha on Instagram while making reference to having taken part in a task. So they'd be good shouts, although considering the way Taskmaster is filmed it might not even be this series they're on (if they are indeed on at all).

How come?

holyzombiejesus

Oh, god, please not Tom Allen. I dislike his shtick so much I'd probably swerve the whole series.

DrGreggles

bigfatheart

Yeah, I think it's Dave Gorman who said that they filmed their tasks quite some time before the studio bits, meaning that they'd often forgotten things they'd said or done. I wouldn't be surprised if any filming they're doing now would be for a series (or even two) ahead of the next one.

Benjaminos

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 17, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
I've not seen that much of him so perhaps he's been better elsewhere.

I doubt it. He was the compere at a gig I saw a year or two back, and his forced audience banter was so insufferable that he ended up clocking it and saying something like 'most of you look like you want to kill me right now'. Yes mate, I came here to see Kevin Eldon, not hear you wank on for half an hour. Do piss off.

Ja'moke

Line-up on Digital Spy:

The Inbetweeners star Joe Thomas
BAFTA-winning comedian and Love Island narrator Iain Stirling
Stand-up Lou Sanders
Champion quizzer on The Chase, Paul Sinha
Star of Peter Kay's Car Share, Sian Gibson.

Seems disappointing on paper. But the format is so good, it can usually make even a weak line up work... except Series 6.

Bad Ambassador

Someone is really desperate to make Lou Sanders happen. Every time I've heard or seen her, she's just mindlessly giggling at her own inane jokes. The rest of the list looks similarly poor. I may hold off watching and wait for the reaction.

imitationleather

Never thought I'd see a line-up and think "The addition of David Baddiel could really improve this" but here we are.

Mango Chimes

Bloody hell, that has to be the least promising line-up so far, hasn't it? Gibson's an unknown quantity, so let's benefit of the doubt. Sanders is bad. Sinha is too much of a seasoned pro to let his persona slip, so he'll be dull. Thomas is nice enough but can't see him being much more than that. And Stirling I've never heard of, but he appears to have the most Generic White Young Man English Stand-Up face imaginable.

BeardFaceMan

I fucking love this show but I'm not sure I can sit through 10 episodes of Lou Sanders. Bollocks. I'm just hoping they've got a few wrong as Dave or Alex havent announced them yet, can this list please be some sort of sick joke? Please?

Should also start a thread on comedians who laugh at their own jokes a lot, there seems to be a few of them about at the moment.

DrGreggles

I think Sinha will be good.
He'll be the one to come up with weird approaches to tasks.

Lou Sanders is fine. I like her more than I like her material, and I can see her throwing herself into this.

No idea about the other three.

AsparagusTrevor

Hmm, it's like reading an 'I'm a Celebrity' line-up, in that most of them elicit a "who?" from me. I've heard of Car Share woman from Car Share (and League of Gentlemen etc), and I like Paul Sinha on The Chase, I haven't a clue who the others are.

bigfatheart

To be fair I think every series so far the consensus on here when the cast was announced has been along the lines of "Well, I won't be watching, can't sit through (x) episodes of Joe Wilkinson's shtick/Al Murray being Al Murray/Noel Fielding's animal whimsy/Nish Kumar laughing at his own jokes/Russell Howard being Russell Howard/Rhod Gilbert shouting" and yet here we still are. I won't lie, it's underwhelming, but I thought last series looked underwhelming and that ended up being one of my favourites.

Shame that Paul Sinha and David Baddiel aren't on the same series though, if only because I was looking forward to the inevitable 'Sinha and Baddiel' jokes.

BeardFaceMan

Seems to be missing the 'elder comedian' role this time too. Very underwhelming line-up, I hope this doesn't mean they're starting to run out of suitable players, they do seem to have had on most of the people on the current panel show circuit.

bigfatheart

Looking them up, Paul Sinha's only two years younger than Al Murray and Rhod Gilbert who've both served that role, three years younger than Tim Vine and is a few months older than Richard Osman, so I imagine he's intended to tick that box.

Small Man Big Horse

I saw Paul Sinha's Edinburgh show "Shout Out To My Ex" on NextUp a couple of weeks ago and liked it a fair bit, he occasionally comes off as a bit smug but he's also very funny so I'm looking forward to him on it. Joe Thomas is the one with the most potential to annoy me, I can't stand him as an actor and his RHLSTP episode was so bland I turned it off after half an hour, but hopefully his interactions with Greg will be funny, at least if the latter treats him as if he's still his inbetweeners character.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 18, 2019, 09:47:51 AM
Looking them up, Paul Sinha's only two years younger than Al Murray and Rhod Gilbert who've both served that role, three years younger than Tim Vine and is a few months older than Richard Osman, so I imagine he's intended to tick that box.

I don't just mean older though, more someone who's been around for a while, like yer Time Vines and Frank Skinners and Dave Gormans etc.

Morrison Lard

They'd have to go some to be as shit as the American version,
but this line-up certainly has the potential.

selectivememory

Wow. Definitely feels like they're scraping the barrel now, which is strange after such a strong line-up in the previous series.

Must admit that I don't know much about any of them other than Sinha and Sanders, and even them I have very vague impressions of. I think I found Sanders annoying on Herring's podcast, but I have a feeling Sinha could be quite good at least.

I'll try and keep an open mind though. Plenty of contestants in previous series that I wasn't that interested in seeing on the show turned out to be pretty good. As others have said, it's a format that tends to get the best out of the contestants.

Lou Sanders is brilliant you big berks. She'll be great on this.

Ja'moke