Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Big Taskmaster Thread

Started by Ja'moke, December 13, 2018, 01:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

I've never watched this show, but yesterday I saw a YouTube compilation of Rhod Gilbert's weird solutions to tasks and I reckon he might be a genius.

BeardFaceMan

I just have to have faith that the strength of this show is the hosts and format, not the contestants. It hasn't failed yet, even with some truly abysmal people I've been able to enjoy the show.

Utter Shit

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 17, 2019, 06:59:35 PM
Incidentally, one theory I've seen is that John Robins and Richard Herring may be on a series together, as both have started extremely niche internet ventures, with Herring's stone-clearing podcast and Robins doing a bad golf thing on YouTube (with Alex Horne having appeared once). Not sure if there's anything in it, not least because Herring will do that shit regardless, but it'd be interesting if it was. Especially if Graham Linehan was another guest and it turned out the last year or so of his life was an extended bit for Taskmaster.

That makes sense, the Bad Golf thing did seem odd.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 18, 2019, 02:26:00 PM
I just have to have faith that the strength of this show is the hosts and format, not the contestants. It hasn't failed yet, even with some truly abysmal people I've been able to enjoy the show.

I bailed on series 6: found Russell Howard, Alice Levine and Asim Chaudhry were too dull/ unlikeable, but every other series has left me pleasantly surprised by comics I otherwise had written off as bellends, such as Noel Fielding.

This line up has the whiff of series 6 to me, but might be all right. Gibson, Sinha and Sanders could yet turn out to be inspired choices. I don't know who the Love Island guy is. I think Joe Thomas will either turn out to have an unexpectedly great personality, like Jessica Knappet did, or be a dead weight like Lolly Adefope. 

imitationleather

The thing with Joe Thomas is that I always get the sense he's an actor who is largely cast in comedies rather than him having any kind of comedy brain. Which is why I think he'll be shit on this.

lankyguy95

^
I'm basing it on his RHLSTP appearance which is probably massively unfair but yeah, that's the impression I got.

Series 6 had Tim Vine and to an extent Liza Tarbuck to do the heavy lifting of the others. I'm sure someone will surprise but I'm not sure who in that lineup is going to do it.

notjosh

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 18, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
I don't know who the Love Island guy is

He's the guy off Love Island.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 18, 2019, 01:47:08 PM
I've never watched this show, but yesterday I saw a YouTube compilation of Rhod Gilbert's weird solutions to tasks and I reckon he might be a genius.

When he tied up Alex. Definitely one of the best "cheats" in Taskmaster history. Tim Key was similarly creative in his tasks in Series 1.

Twed

Seating arrangement prediction (from left to right):

That Guy Who Isn't From The Inbetweeners
That Guy Who Is From The Inbetweeners
Lou Sanders
Paul Sindha, in the Indian seat
Sian

EbbyVale

Quote from: Twed on February 18, 2019, 08:22:38 PM
Seating arrangement prediction (from left to right):

That Guy Who Isn't From The Inbetweeners
That Guy Who Is From The Inbetweeners
Lou Sanders
Paul Sindha, in the Indian seat
Sian

Can't tell if you're taking the piss or not--they sit in alphabetical order by first name, so that's how they should go.  If you're not taking the piss, you have a supernatural power.  A crap one, but a power nonetheless.

arpster

Just caught up with episode 1 of series 3...funny as fuck and excellent tasks...this Paul Chowdhry fucker though?...is the lobotomised / rabbit in headlights schtick just first show nerves or is he like that all the way through?....

Twed

Quote from: EbbyVale on February 18, 2019, 09:39:23 PM
Can't tell if you're taking the piss or not--they sit in alphabetical order by first name, so that's how they should go.  If you're not taking the piss, you have a supernatural power.  A crap one, but a power nonetheless.
Oh, do they? No, I was being serious. They always seem to sit the same types of people in the same seats, but I guess it's just a weird alphabetical coincidence.

How do you know I was right abou... oh right, alphabetical order.

BritishHobo

I always defend Joe Thomas on here. I think he's way better than people give him credit for. He's very good at playing characters who you initially think are flat, boring straight-men, but end up being much odder. I love what a ridiculous spoiled brat Simon is, and I really like how Kingsley in Fresh Meat goes from being a generic middle-class student to a ridiculous hipster who takes himself way too seriously, and everyone basically hates.

Also I've said it before but he was really charming on James Buckley's YouTube channel, when they talked about working with Ed Westwick and looking like twats mucking about next to his acting experience.

bigfatheart

Quote from: arpster on February 18, 2019, 09:39:30 PM
Just caught up with episode 1 of series 3...funny as fuck and excellent tasks...this Paul Chowdhry fucker though?...is the lobotomised / rabbit in headlights schtick just first show nerves or is he like that all the way through?....

He keeps it up. I loved it, personally, but it does seem to rile a lot of people up. His line about Big Momma's House in one of the later episodes is the most I've laughed at Taskmaster, I think.

WestHill

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 18, 2019, 12:52:03 PM
Lou Sanders is brilliant you big berks. She'll be great on this.

Yeah she's excellent you load of smelly ballbags!

rasta-spouse

Yeah, Lou Sanders loose cannon wackyness can be funny. The way she brought up Cotton and Chung's relationship with the wrong'un on RHLSTP was edgelord (first time using this word) + humorous.

Also, Paul Sinha's ability to answer every trivia question down to the date of a record release is an endless source of fascination to me.

Noonling

I wonder if they realise quite how much fanfiction there is of the show. 58 of those have the tag Greg Davies/Alex Horne.

About 90% of it is written by the same person...

bigfatheart

Tags for the first one include

• financial domination
  • orgasm delay
  • religious themes
  • clothes kink
  • open marriage
  • shower sex
  • verbal humiliation
  • shame
  • embarrassment
  • aftercare

Can't wait to get started!

Ja'moke

Quote from: bigfatheart on February 27, 2019, 09:47:44 PM
Tags for the first one include

• financial domination
  • orgasm delay
  • religious themes
  • clothes kink
  • open marriage
  • shower sex
  • verbal humiliation
  • shame
  • embarrassment
  • aftercare

Can't wait to get started!

Most of those were committed by Sally Phillips in Series 5.

bigfatheart

With Al Murray completing the set with 'financial domination'.

Noonling

They all come up as sold out or unavailable to me...Which is likely, but its only been a few hours :(

Dr Funke

Apologies, didn't click through all the way to book.

Bad Ambassador

https://missoulian.com/entertainment/arts-and-theatre/q-a-reggie-watts-talks-auto-tune-and-vr-music/article_2b1a6e69-bd94-5091-9fcc-179b6ef1a4b9.html

According to this link, which isn't accessible due to GDPR, there won't be a second series of the US version. Any US resident care to copy and paste the relevant text?

Given the changes heaped upon it, this probably isn't a bad thing, especially since few of the contestants seemed to understand the show.

sprocket

QuoteAnd now you're getting to branch out a little bit with hosting a game show ("Taskmaster") and being able to do some more music (Wajatta's "Casual High Technology").

The whole plan is just trying to make as much stuff as I can in as many mediums as I can — "The Late Late" Show definitely helps with stability and resources to put towards that goal. It's been great.

"Taskmaster" was really fun and didn't get picked up, but it was fun to do. I was very fortunate to be a part of that.

And I have this project going on, some Virtual Reality music video stuff and things on that frontier, which is great.

Disclaimer: Not a US resident.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: sprocket on March 06, 2019, 08:27:06 PM
Disclaimer: Not a US resident.

Thank you for your illegal magic.

arpster

Quote from: arpster on February 18, 2019, 09:39:30 PM

well I was far too quick to judge the Chowdhry....his deadpannery actually became one of the most enjoyable features of the series...together with Greg's reactions to him which veered between mild irritation to outright affection ....the appeal of Dave Gorman remains a mystery to me though

DrGreggles

Quote from: arpster on March 07, 2019, 06:28:59 PM
well I was far too quick to judge the Chowdhry....his deadpannery actually became one of the most enjoyable features of the series...together with Greg's reactions to him which veered between mild irritation to outright affection ....the appeal of Dave Gorman remains a mystery to me though

"Bastard's crying innit" is one of my favourite TM moments.

spanky

I loved Paul Chowdhry, especially his Big Momma's House idea combined with the suggestion that Greg should watch more foreign films.

rasta-spouse

Paul Chowdry's great and off-beat - very different to the usual panelshow crony. He should do more tv stuff. I do think his actual stand-up is poor though.