Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Teen Titans Go

Started by kalowski, December 13, 2018, 07:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

If you have young children and sky TV you've probably been unlucky enough to see this fucking travesty of a show. I cannot stand a single second if it. Like so many cartoons aimed at children it arrives laden with teenage bitterness, a knowing wink and "oh so grown up" moments that, you know, the grown ups won't understand.

It's fucking awful. In classic miserable dad style, I watched "I Got To Singa" the 1936 Loony Tunes cartoon with my kids the other day. It was streets ahead of this shit.

Mister Six

I watched an episode once. It was quite funny. B-

kalowski

Quote from: Mister Six on December 14, 2018, 12:37:38 AM
I watched an episode once. It was quite funny. B-
Maybe you're 15?

Chriddof

Here's a thing: for some time, this was basically all they showed on the American version of Cartoon Network, and I'm not really exaggerating much there. Here's an extraordinary post from a Tumblr blog that archives Cartoon Network schedules, which shows Christmas week from last year. What you'll see there is genuinely not a joke. A lot of other schedules from before and after are only a bit better.

Apparently it's hurt their ratings as loads of kids abandoned the channel for Nickelodeon and Disney. They've since cut down the repeats in a desperate attempt to win them back. Except that Cartoon Network UK appear to be now going mental re-running it themselves, despite it also being shown on CITV. Here's an article on that there TV Tropes that goes into all of this in punishing detail.

Shit Good Nose

I took little Nose to see the film back in the summer.  Every single second of it was on the nose.  I don't think I've ever seen a more on the nose piece of media.  Ever.  EVER.

Admittedly this is largely out-of-touch-middle-aged-man speaking, but I don't even know what it's supposed to be - is it a parody for everyone?  Is it a parody of a parody especially for kids?  Is it its own genuine thing in the superhero universe that just happens to be "comedic"?

Chriddof

As I understand it, there was a cartoon from about 10 - 15 years ago called "Teen Titans" that was based on a pre-existing DC comic book. "Teen Titans Go" takes the same characters, makes their designs slightly goofier / vaguely anime-esque, and is generally more wacky and zany compared to the original.

Alberon

And meanwhile there's a live action TV series version running which literally says "Fuck Batman."

There is a genre of this sort of thing in animated shows that goes back decades in anime. 25 years back when I was into that I remember one studio did a 'super deformed' team up of all its main shows in a Wacky Races parody.

Mister Six

kalowski

Quote from: Chriddof on December 14, 2018, 09:33:34 AM
As I understand it, there was a cartoon from about 10 - 15 years ago called "Teen Titans" that was based on a pre-existing DC comic book. "Teen Titans Go" takes the same characters, makes their designs slightly goofier / vaguely anime-esque, and is generally more wacky and zany compared to the original.
Wacky and zany, perhaps, fucking annoying, definitely.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 14, 2018, 09:27:08 AM
I took little Nose to see the film back in the summer.  Every single second of it was on the nose.  I don't think I've ever seen a more on the nose piece of media.  Ever.  EVER.

Admittedly this is largely out-of-touch-middle-aged-man speaking, but I don't even know what it's supposed to be - is it a parody for everyone?  Is it a parody of a parody especially for kids?  Is it its own genuine thing in the superhero universe that just happens to be "comedic"?

I watched the film today as I was in the mood for something dumb and stupid and quite enjoyed it, it's garish and silly but there was enough going on to keep me entertained. One bit which stuck out for me was when they were doing the whole "Origin story" thing for other superheroes, and after it doesn't work they go back to make sure everything happens as it was supposed to and Robin gleefully throws some pearls around Martha Wayne's neck and shoves her and Thomas down Crime Alley where they're gunned down which I thought was pretty dark for the film. I mean it made me laugh a lot, but tonally it was a bit out of place.

kalowski

It's part of a slew of programmes that seem to be aimed at teens but are put on channels and marketed to young kids. Like the Amazing World of Gumball. I just saw an episode that contained the line, "... spend the rest of our lives in existential dread." God knows what my kids get out of this.

See also: We Bare Bears.