Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:45:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What was the best thing to happen to you personally in 2018?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 13, 2018, 09:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Because there are so many miserable threads right now I thought I'd try and start an upbeat one.

Me? It's a mix of spending time in the psychiatric hospital which was oddly relaxing and helped me get off weed, and getting a job teaching TEFL online, I thought I'd never find a job at my age that I liked after having been out of work for so long but I'm strangely enjoying it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Small Man Big Horse

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Glad to hear it SMBH, from what you've previously posted it has been a testing few years for you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Best thing to me was probably getting laid in space

What, we are in all space right now

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 13, 2018, 10:07:03 PM
Glad to hear it SMBH, from what you've previously posted it has been a testing few years for you.

" glad to hear it, LJAMC, you've been a miserable cunt since you were plucked in a state of massive reluctance from the womb , so this news of a hearty handshandy really gladdens me. "

Would it have killed you to type that ?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 13, 2018, 10:06:14 PM
Tell me more.

Well, *you* turned up, round about the 7 minute mark. Shaved a couple of pounds off you, hope you don't mind.

Twit 2

Emma Raducanu

It's been a generally average-to-shit year umfortunately. I've definitely caught myself willing the arrival of 2019 a few times recently.

Eating at a packed taverna, on a narrow alleyway at 1am, drinking a shit ton of ice cold beer and watching my tiny daughter dancing to a street musician was probably the highlight. Whenever things go a bit shit, I can always remember that and how at one with the world I felt.

checkoutgirl

Saw Michaelangelo's Dave in Florence. He's like a world famous celebrity but one of the few things actually worthy of being that famous.

biggytitbo

Had two quite girthy poos in one day sometime around the World Cup.

Dex Sawash

Was moving house and purging shite. Had a box of gear from a sailboat that I cut up and binned. A guy 2 blocks away had the same boat (didn't know him, had seen the boat in his  carport) so I dropped in to see if he wanted my box of spares. He said no but he was moving too and would I like to have his boat. OK. Been keeping it at work, will dump it in the backyard soon and see if wife notices.

The Culture Bunker

I got engaged and despite previous reservations about the whole "marriage" thing, it feels bloody great.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Binge watching " Killing Eve ", and thinking " Hey, she looks familiar."
( I'm so glad I put this post after the post above this 'un. It just emphasises what a successful human being I am. )

tookish

Celebrating five years with my partners, and moving towards our sixth year together. It hasn't been a brilliant year, but I'm very lucky to be so in love.

Seeing Hamilton was also a highlight.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Seeing all those temples and monkeys and that in Siem Rheap ( the Birmingham of Cambodia ), I suppose.

bgmnts

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Saw a really jolly good musical performance by Pussy Riot in Liverpool in August. Yer woman was flogging her book, so I got my copy signed with her writing something like " I don't like Putin very much, me. " in Russian from the woman herself. Good Evening, that.

Got some nice PMs from one of the posters on 'ere.

Went to the top of a blummin tall tower in Kuala Lumpur.

Watched a really good episode of " The Sweeney " ( also in Kuala Lumpur).

Watched every single fucking episode of " Seinfeld ".

Nothing s going to top that Mid- May wank.

hummingofevil

Quit my job and spent last 5 months living off savings I saved up in some self-indulgent fantasy world.

Had visions of doing loads of reading and learning how to build the internet from scratch but instead spend days walking around the streets/hills of Newcastle and/or North Wales with a flask of coffee just happily passing the time.

Bought a spaetzle maker and used it at least once a week. Changed my food life for a tenner.

Also Natalie Palamides' Nate was best bit of live stuff I've seen in years and years.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I scored a scorpion kick in 5 a side. Yeah those low crossbar nets. Whizzed by my ear right into the bottom corner. Fucking belter.

imitationleather

QDRPHNC

Leaving my second wife 6 months ago. I'm not throwing this around casually, she genuinely has Borderline Personality Disorder. Highly volatile relationship, and an extremely strange break-up. There was the usual sadness, regret, relief, but in addition, I had to work through kind of resetting my own image of myself. A BPD person will break you down mentally, they'll warp who you are and spit it back at you relentlessly and with absolutely sincerity until you believe it as much as they do. You'll be accused of abuse, gaslighting, invalidating their feelings, hating them, never having loving them, all the while you're being abused, and gaslit, and invalidated and all the rest of it. You'll be literally physically ill from the 24 hour tension of not trying to set this person off, of never know where or when or why the next fight is coming from. You'll be a tightly-wound coil of fear and anxiety for the entirety of your waking life, and when you snap you'll be asked why are you like this, why are you so abusive, why do you hate me, why are you so horrible.

Never get involved with a Borderline person, kids.

I don't know what to liken it to - a near death experience? Going through that and rebuilding myself afterwards has changed me. Before this relationship, I was generally an anxious person, prone to depression and self-loathing, and I'm not like that at all any more. I still have the usual daily stresses of life and frustrations and bad moods, but at my core I have become profoundly content and peaceful, never in my life have I experienced this. Maybe it'll wear off, but it hasn't yet. So 2018 has, in a weird way, been the best year of my life so far.

canadagoose

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 13, 2018, 11:27:59 PM
Leaving my second wife 6 months ago. I'm not throwing this around casually, she genuinely has Borderline Personality Disorder. Highly volatile relationship, and an extremely strange break-up. There was the usual sadness, regret, relief, but in addition, I had to work through kind of resetting my own image of myself. A BPD person will break you down mentally, they'll warp who you are and spit it back at you relentlessly and with absolutely sincerity until you believe it as much as they do. You'll be accused of abuse, gaslighting, invalidating their feelings, hating them, never having loving them, all the while you're being abused, and gaslit, and invalidated and all the rest of it. You'll be literally physically ill from the 24 hour tension of not trying to set this person off, of never know where or when or why the next fight is coming from. You'll be a tightly-wound coil of fear and anxiety for the entirety of your waking life, and when you snap you'll be asked why are you like this, why are you so abusive, why do you hate me, why are you so horrible.

Never get involved with a Borderline person, kids.

I don't know what to liken it to - a near death experience? Going through that and rebuilding myself afterwards has changed me. Before this relationship, I was generally an anxious person, prone to depression and self-loathing, and I'm not like that at all any more. I still have the usual daily stresses of life and frustrations and bad moods, but at my core I have become profoundly content and peaceful, never in my life have I experienced this. Maybe it'll wear off, but it hasn't yet. So 2018 has, in a weird way, been the best year of my life so far.
Sounds like a horrible arsehole. Just out of curiosity, were there any red flags early on that we should be aware of, so we can avoid people like this too?

edit: Meant to say, glad that you're doing better now, too.

imitationleather

Shit. I know someone with borderline personality disorder. Definitely not asking them to marry me now.

chveik

QDRPHNC

Quote from: canadagoose on December 13, 2018, 11:32:53 PM
Sounds like a horrible arsehole. Just out of curiosity, were there any red flags early on that we should be aware of, so we can avoid people like this too?

edit: Meant to say, glad that you're doing better now, too.

Yeah, basically she got way into into me too fast. They split, so they'll either love your or hate you. The biggest red flag was, after being a model boyfriend for the first 3 months, I accidentally said something pretty mild that hurt her feelings and she screamed in my face, on the street, that was a shitty person and shoved my hands away as I tried to hug her and apologize.

All of the above post also happened against the backdrop of me paying her through 3 years of school, paying the rent, paying the bills and doing most the cooking and cleaning. She refused to leave the apartment I had paid for when we broke up because, and I quote, "I don't care about the apartment. I'm doing it to fuck with you."

Another quick fact: for her birthday two years ago, I bought tickets to see her favourite comic, rented a car and drove her 10 hours to see him. That birthday, however, got added to the pile of "occasions I ruined", as I had neglected to hang a Happy Birthday banner in our apartment. Absolute nutter.

Like I said, run a million miles away. Plenty of good resources out there telling you what to watch out for.

And thank you :)

canadagoose

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 13, 2018, 11:39:36 PM
Yeah, basically she got way into into me too fast. They split, so they'll either love your or hate you. The biggest red flag was, after being a model boyfriend for the first 3 months, I accidentally said something pretty mild that hurt her feelings and she screamed in my face, on the street, that was a shitty person and shoved my hands away as I tried to hug her and apologize.

All of the above post also happened against the backdrop of me paying her through 3 years of school, paying the rent, paying the bills and doing most the cooking and cleaning. She refused to leave the apartment I had paid for when we broke up because, and I quote, "I don't care about the apartment. I'm doing it to fuck with you."

Another quick fact: for her birthday two years ago, I bought tickets to see her favourite comic, rented a car and drove her 10 hours to see him. That birthday, however, got added to the pile of "occasions I ruined", as I had neglected to hang a Happy Birthday banner in our apartment. Absolute nutter.

Like I said, run a million miles away. Plenty of good resources out there telling you what to watch out for.

And thank you :)
Christ alive, she sounds like a total bellend. Will run a mile at the first sign of any of this nonsense now.

Quote from: tookish on December 13, 2018, 10:32:52 PM
Seeing Hamilton was also a highlight.

Christ, if that was a highlight you're going to be fucking euphoric when you see East Kilbride.

Its been an absolute fucker of a year tbh. Spiralled into a really bad ketamine problem, got arrested for criminal damage, excruciating 5 month breakup which involved moving from somewhere that felt like a home into a house with complete strangers. In work subjected to daily verbal abuse from a service user (yeah, he has a learning disability but its still very hard to get through every day) and eventually getting suspensed and that being dragged out. All topped off with my perpetual alcohol problem. Lots of feeling "what the fuck is the point in any of this?:

But in the last half of December...there might just be hope for me yet! Ive significantly curbed the drink, the suspension concluded (quite rightly) with no further action as I hadnt done anything wrong...the ketamine is a distant memory, Ive met a new girl that I really like and I like where I live and who I am. And my band that has been the onr saving grace throughout the year is blossoming and getting better and better gigs

Time to take the nauseous anxiety inducing feeling of precariousness Ive felt all year and transition it into a feeling of excitement; to embrace the new as something really cool :)

Do you remember that hippy duo someone posted on here with their song "puff puff give"? With the awful faux rasta guy making a fool of himself? Well i mustve added them on Facebook and they commented on one of my vids playing guitar earlier so to.answer the question thats the best thing to happen to me this year

Edit: and a new job as well!