Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships - The 1975

Started by canadagoose, December 13, 2018, 10:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Is nobody going to start a topic on this, or is it too popular for you lot? ;)

It came out recently, and I've been really enjoying it. The last track, I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes) is a real great, IMO, a bit like Champagne Supernova. The singles from it seem much more upbeat and poppy than the rest of the album, but they're good in their own way, too. The Man Who Married a Robot seems a bit like Fitter Happier from OK Computer, except with more of a conventional story and a less abstract instrumental part. And, good God, TOOTIME... is catchy as anything.

The Culture Bunker

Much like the other 1975 albums:

- When they do straightforward pop tunes, they do a pretty good job.
- When they try to get clever and experimental, it's bloody horrific.

Too much padding is their problem, and I was amused that this also applied to their protegees the Pale Waves.

canadagoose

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 13, 2018, 10:24:39 PM
Much like the other 1975 albums:

- When they do straightforward pop tunes, they do a pretty good job.
- When they try to get clever and experimental, it's bloody horrific.

Too much padding is their problem, and I was amused that this also applied to their protegees the Pale Waves.
I think they're getting better at experimental music. It's maybe not what drew me to them in the first place, but they seem to have done fairly well at it in the recent album. Of course, I imagine you'd disagree!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: canadagoose on December 13, 2018, 10:04:59 PM
I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)

Fucking shite. Never listened to this band before and never will again.

canadagoose

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 13, 2018, 10:33:34 PM
Fucking shite. Never listened to this band before and never will again.
Thank you checkoutgirl, very cool!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: canadagoose on December 13, 2018, 10:29:40 PM
I think they're getting better at experimental music. It's maybe not what drew me to them in the first place, but they seem to have done fairly well at it in the recent album. Of course, I imagine you'd disagree!
They're at their best recently when they're ripping off other people. I'm staggered the songwriting credits on the new album don't include Joy Division and Paul Buchanan. The experimental parts are just noise between the pop hooks to me. I don't mind a bit of noise, of course, but I can go other places to hear the same kind of thing done a lot better.

canadagoose

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 13, 2018, 11:18:05 PM
Joy Division and Paul Buchanan
Well, I love both of them, so maybe that's why I like it. Is there anyone you'd recommend, by the way?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: canadagoose on December 13, 2018, 11:20:47 PM
Well, I love both of them, so maybe that's why I like it. Is there anyone you'd recommend, by the way?
Loads - but I doubt anything you don't know and anything that's related to the 1975.

They make good pop music (and I chuckled at their last video ripping off the Stop Making Sense version of Talking Heads' "Life During Wartime"), but I wonder if it's built to last - insomuch, will my four-year-old nephew be talking about them in ten years time, or will he prefer Talk Talk, Psychedelic Furs and the Blue Nile?

Or doubtless prefer something I find bloody awful that I can't understand. I hope so.

Z

Quote from: canadagoose on December 13, 2018, 10:04:59 PM
Is nobody going to start a topic on this, or is it too popular for you lot? ;)
Pitchfork song of the year innit?

I can never remember a song by these guys, I listened to this album two days ago and I can't even tell you what I thought it sounded like. So they're forgettable and a bit obnoxious, lovely combo.