Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

People with massive cultural voids

Started by George White, December 14, 2018, 08:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jockice on December 17, 2018, 04:56:32 PM
It might as well have been for all I remember about it.

The Hour, a period thriller about BBC journalists uncovering all sorts of nefarious establishment misdeeds in the early '60s. It was axed after season two, thus depriving viewers of a satisfactory ending to an exciting yarn that I can't remember anything about. All I remember is that it looked nice, the cast were good, and it caused people on archive TV forums to complain about historical inaccuracies.

EDIT: chveik has already covered this. That'll teach me to plunge into threads feet first.

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 18, 2018, 04:26:22 AM
The Hour, a period thriller about BBC journalists uncovering all sorts of nefarious establishment misdeeds in the early '60s. It was axed after season two, thus depriving viewers of a satisfactory ending to an exciting yarn that I can't remember anything about. All I remember is that it looked nice, the cast were good, and it caused people on archive TV forums to complain about historical inaccuracies.

EDIT: chveik has already covered this. That'll teach me to plunge into threads feet first.

It did indeed look nice. Which is why I tried sticking with it. I think it was meant to be our own version of Mad Men, but it just didn't have the staying power.

PS, I've just remembered I tried watching that drama Butterfly earlier this year, the one about a transgender schoolboy. That was only a three-parter, but again I totally forgot about the last episode. In fact I totally forgot about the entire programme (and the title of it, which I've just had to look up) until about a minute ago. Maybe I'm just not cut out for following plots. Or maybe I've turned into Graham Linehan.

Quote from: Jockice on December 17, 2018, 07:59:38 PM
Imagine is utter wank though. Most of those who like it are cunts who treat people like shit. Fact.

I wouldn't mind the lyrical sanctimony if it wasn't so damn boring.  Just shows even John Lennon could have an off-day musically, like Stevie Wonder with I Just Called to Say I Loved You.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 18, 2018, 05:54:26 AM
I wouldn't mind the lyrical sanctimony if it wasn't so damn boring.  Just shows even John Lennon could have an off-day musically, like Stevie Wonder with I Just Called to Say I Loved You.

Real reason I hate the lyrical sanctimony is it's coming from one of the biggest cunts in rock and roll who famously had a vitriolic temper that fucked up pretty much everyone immediately related to his home life for the rest of their lives and died before he could repent or atone for what he'd done.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 18, 2018, 06:58:06 AM
Real reason I hate the lyrical sanctimony is it's coming from one of the biggest cunts in rock and roll who famously had a vitriolic temper that fucked up pretty much everyone immediately related to his home life for the rest of their lives and died before he could repent or atone for what he'd done.

Yes, but he got shot by a deranged stalker, so that was quite funny.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 18, 2018, 08:51:49 AM
Yes, but he got shot by a deranged stalker, so that was quite funny.

If only MDC had remembered to yell "This is 'Jackass!'" before he stepped out, everyone would've realized it was a funny joke and he never would've gotten sent down.

Icehaven

Mr. Haven (who is 35) has never heard of River Phoenix. Showed him some photos from Google, nope, not a jot of recognition. He says he saw Stand By Me about 20 odd years ago but didn't like it and doesn't really remember any of the actors from it. Fair enough but he'd have been 10 when he died so surely he'd remember it being on the news? Apparently not. Is this normal? I was 14 when he died so a bit more aware of what was on the news but surely he's maintained enough of a pop culture presence (not least by dying so dramatically and because his little brother's a huge star) for most people in their 30s to at least have heard of him.

thraxx

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 18, 2018, 05:54:26 AM

In around 15 years we'll be somewhere near the end of the race for the bottom and will be reveling in 'Like to get to know you well' the Howard Jones biopic.

Quote from: George White on December 14, 2018, 08:58:28 PM
Today I was on a train, with a bloke in his late thirties, laddish, encyclopaedic knowledge of football, watching something on his phone.
"What is it?" I ask.
"Dynasty."
"The new one."
"There was an old one?" he gasps.
"Yes." I stare blankly. "Don't you remember?"
"No."
"With Joan Collins, Alexis."
I hum the original theme.
He stares blankly.
"Should I?"
He said he remembered Dallas (which TBH had a huge cultural effect in Ireland), but not Dynasty, which surprised me. Perhapstoo busy watching football. And RTE showed Dynasty.

A 22-year-old in my office said she had never heard of Joan Collins.

ToneLa

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 18, 2018, 06:58:06 AM

Someone's never felt spiritual on LSD and erroneously claimed that, somehow, has eradicated your past crimes to make you into a pure person qualified to make the personal political!

Not necessarily a complaint

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 09, 2019, 05:48:32 PM
A 22-year-old in my office said she had never heard of Joan Collins.

In fairness, what would she be known for? The Snickers advert? Probably wouldn't even know her to start with.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NurseNugent on December 15, 2018, 11:43:08 AM
I've never seen any of the Die Hard  films so I'm sure there are loads of times it's been quoted at me and it's  gone over my head. Ditto all this business of whether it's a Christmas film or not, is it? I honestly couldn't tell you.

Yippy de doo dah.

Noodle Lizard

Recently, my partner (30, American) had absolutely no idea what I meant when I described someone as being like Stifler.  I thought that was pretty fucking weird.

Z

Was on a date with a girl who studied in Oxford that had never heard of Radiohead. As in "What is Radio Head?"

27 years of age, lived in Oxford for 3 years and London for at least 1 year, had never heard of Radiohead...

Clownbaby

I was 13 when Michael Jackson died. I was talking to another girl and said "did you hear Michael Jackson has died" and she went "who is Michael Jackson?" I showed her pictures of him and a few of his most well known music videos and she literally had no comprehension of Michael Jackson at all. Nothing. Never heard him on the radio, never heard any of the many "Jacko is a paedo" jokes from classmates, didn't recognise his appearance at all, nothing. She'd also somehow managed to avoid ever hearing Eminem, Katy Perry and Beyonce. Probably a lot more as well let's face it.

Also when that Maroon 5 song "Moves Like Jagger" came out a lass said to me "what is Jagger anyway? I really like this song but I don't know what he means by a Jagger lol is it dance move?" She could have just Googled "jagger" if it had been bugging her, why didn't she just Google it?

Now I don't expect people to know who every key famous music person is but there's some names that you just know about whether you are interested in their work or not. I think Michael Jackson qualifies as one of those.

Something I can't stand is the excuse people make that they "weren't born then" when they don't know something. This does not make any sense. The thing still exists. If you weren't born when David Bowie was exploding with popularity it doesn't matter because he's still very much played everywhere and constantly mentioned. You weren't living in the 70s to experience ABBA? And? They didn't wipe out their own discography from history when you were born in 1996. The opposite also pisses me off when someone older than me (this can even be someone less than 5 years older than me) will dismissively say "oh there's this thing - I bet you weren't even born allow me to describe it sweetie, there was these things called DEE VEE DEES, that's what we used to watch films and series before Netflix eh haha I feel so old"

There are subjects that I think are fair game to have knowledge gaps about. I get people not knowing much about sport or cars or less omnipresent pop culture or whatever because they're getting down to the more specific interests. But to have no awareness of Michael Jackson, what

ToneLa

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 10, 2019, 12:25:48 PM

Also when that Maroon 5 song "Moves Like Jagger" came out a lass said to me "what is Jagger anyway? I really like this song but I don't know what he means by a Jagger lol is it dance move?" She could have just Googled "jagger" if it had been bugging her, why didn't she just Google it?

"Whats a Google?"

Jockice

I've never seen anything on Netflix. I'm a notflixer. And I'm notflixing bothered about it either.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Jockice on February 10, 2019, 12:49:00 PM
I've never seen anything on Netflix. I'm a notflixer. And I'm notflixing bothered about it either.

At least you know what it is.

bgmnts

How am I not the youngest poster on here? I thought everyone here was 30+ bar me.

Does not knowing about anything modern count as being a cultural void? If so I am, I know fuck all about Potter, GoT, contemporary music, internet culture and I only know a little about film and television.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Jockice on February 10, 2019, 12:49:00 PM

Nope it's still not liking curry.

Headstone

Name

Date of birth and death

"Didn't even like curry...and other minor faults"

Clownbaby

Quote from: bgmnts on February 10, 2019, 12:56:39 PM
How am I not the youngest poster on here? I thought everyone here was 30+ bar me.

Does not knowing about anything modern count as being a cultural void? If so I am, I know fuck all about Potter, GoT, contemporary music, internet culture and I only know a little about film and television.

Nah I'm 22. To be honest the way I see it if your are at least aware of what GoT or Harry Potter or other basic things are that is enough, it's these people who otherwise seem to be socially well adjusted and fairly knowledgable in every other way who don't even seem to know of these massively, massively popular inescapable things that weird me out.

ToneLa

Never seen Star Wars

Never going to. Saw ten minutes on telly once and the wipe effects made it so cheesy I didn't bother

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 10, 2019, 01:01:36 PM
Nah I'm 22. To be honest the way I see it if your are at least aware of what GoT or Harry Potter or other basic things are that is enough, it's these people who otherwise seem to be socially well adjusted and fairly knowledgable in every other way who don't even seem to know of these massively, massively popular inescapable things that weird me out.

I agree. Just knowing what these things are is enough. You don't have a cultural void if you're aware of the massive popularity of Harry Potter or GoT. They may not interest you in the slightest, but you know they involve wizards and dragons and whatnot.

I'm a big fan of Doctor Who, but I don't expect anyone else to know or care about it. However, I'd be absolutely staggered if someone told me in all honesty that they'd never even heard of Doctor Who. That would be weird.

Quote from: ToneLa on February 10, 2019, 01:04:27 PM
Never seen Star Wars

Never going to. Saw ten minutes on telly once and the wipe effects made it so cheesy I didn't bother

The wipes are an affectionate homage to the Saturday morning serials of the 1930s, which were a big influence on Star Wars. BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT.

ToneLa

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 10, 2019, 01:35:25 PM
The wipes are an affectionate homage to the Saturday morning serials of the 1930s, which were a big influence on Star Wars. BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT.

Think I did actually! Wasn't around in the 30s, though...!

Indiana Jones took me ages to see, but I loved those films, so I'm not a complete cultural fuck up...

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 10, 2019, 01:34:02 PM
I agree. Just knowing what these things are is enough. You don't have a cultural void if you're aware of the massive popularity of Harry Potter or GoT. They may not interest you in the slightest, but you know they involve wizards and dragons and whatnot.

I'm a big fan of Doctor Who, but I don't expect anyone else to know or care about it. However, I'd be absolutely staggered if someone told me in all honesty that they'd never even heard of Doctor Who. That would be weird.

I've never seen GoT, but I know that it's all wizards and tits and wizards' tits. I've never seen Dr Who, but I'm aware enough to know that the protagonist isn't called "Dr Who" but "The Dr Who".

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 10, 2019, 04:54:14 PM
I've never seen GoT, but I know that it's all wizards and tits and wizards' tits. I've never seen Dr Who, but I'm aware enough to know that the protagonist isn't called "Dr Who" but "The Dr Who".

Shows how much you know. It's "A Dr Who" - and there's been about two dozen of them so far. (Maybe more - I ran out of fingers.)

Blue Jam

Quote from: George White on December 14, 2018, 08:58:28 PM
Today I was on a train, with a bloke in his late thirties, laddish, encyclopaedic knowledge of football, watching something on his phone.
"What is it?" I ask.
"Dynasty."
"The new one."
"There was an old one?" he gasps.

I had a comparable experience with a colleague who asked me if I had seen House of Cards...

I have actually seen both versions. Now.

flotemysost

As a teenager, I remember a friend's rather conservative parents expressing their concern about her listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, as they didn't want their daughter listening to 'those rebellious young men' (this would have been around By The Way era so they'd have been in their 40s, and I'd be very surprised if my friend's parents' knowledge of the band extended to include any of the drugs/cocks-in-socks antics of the past - I think this was more just based on them being tattooed and a bit 'alternative'). Not really a massive cultural void but I found it funny at the time.

I worked with a 20-something in 2012 who didn't know who Barack Obama was.

king_tubby

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 10, 2019, 12:25:48 PM

See, I had no idea that song was by Maroon 5, who though I only did that one about girls' names or something. I thought the Jagger one was Azelia Banks, but I have no idea why.

In my defence I am in my mid 40s and shouldn't know these things.