Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies which have actively brought harm to the world

Started by Sin Agog, December 15, 2018, 02:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Not talking about their quality or anything like that.  Just the run-on effects. 

Jaws has apparently inspired hundreds of thousands of shark cullings over the years, especially in Australia.

When Birth of the Nation was released, the KKK were barely even a going concern anymore.  The movie reignited them, and all the strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees were arguably planted by this movie.

It plays pretty campy nowadays, but The Warriors inspired some really gnarly gang wars at the time of its release.

Teenage mutant turtles craze lead to masses of baby turtles being purchased for children then flushed down the toilet.

Neomod

Small scale but Quadrophenia helped reignite some bank holiday shenanigans.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 15, 2018, 02:27:54 AM
Jaws has apparently inspired hundreds of thousands of shark cullings over the years, especially in Australia.

It also arguably helped ignite the phenomenon of the blockbuster film which almost singlehandedly killed the American film industry by earning it a lot of money.

Lemming

Star Wars turned a lot of people into dickheads who won't shut up about Star Wars.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Lemming on December 15, 2018, 04:50:08 AM
Star Wars turned a lot of people into dickheads who won't shut up about Star Wars.

Worse than that, if what (I assume) this article (which I haven't read - I get my nerd fix elsewhere, sunshine) says is true: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a25560063/how-fans-ruined-star-wars-the-last-jedi-2018/

monolith

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on December 15, 2018, 04:57:57 AM
Worse than that, if what (I assume) this article (which I haven't read - I get my nerd fix elsewhere, sunshine) says is true: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a25560063/how-fans-ruined-star-wars-the-last-jedi-2018/
I think most fans were annoyed by it being a shit film with a weak plot, a disappointing main villain, gaping plot holes and a main character who is amazing at everything without any training and has no conflict because of this.

If Empire Strikes Back had Luke going to Yoda, beating him at every challenge and then going on to defeat Darth Vader at the end barely breaking a sweat, I think it would have received a similar backlash. Rey is a poorly written character, this would be the case whether she was male, female, trans or a fucking wookie.

Focussing on a handful of asshole trolls on the internet misses the point.

Lord Mandrake

I seem to recall the Matrix spawning all manner of trenchcoat wearing maniacs. From the chap who, trying to emulate the films hero Neo - was cut in half by a subway train to mutiple homicides carried out by assailants claiming to be stuck in the Matrix.

mjwilson

(I love The Last Jedi.)

A Clockwork Orange was withdrawn after being associated with lots of crimes, apparently, although I don't really know if there was any real link.

Quote from: mjwilson on December 15, 2018, 09:47:07 AM
(I love The Last Jedi.)

A Clockwork Orange was withdrawn after being associated with lots of crimes, apparently, although I don't really know if there was any real link.

Wikipedie
QuoteAlthough it was passed uncut for UK cinemas in December 1971, British authorities considered the sexual violence in the film to be extreme. In March 1972, during the trial of a 14-year-old male accused of the manslaughter of a classmate, the prosecutor referred to A Clockwork Orange, suggesting that the film had a macabre relevance to the case.[36] The film was also linked to the murder of an elderly vagrant by a 16-year-old boy in Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, who pleaded guilty after telling police that friends had told him of the film "and the beating up of an old boy like this one". Roger Gray QC, for the defence, told the court that "the link between this crime and sensational literature, particularly A Clockwork Orange, is established beyond reasonable doubt".[37] The press also blamed the film for a rape in which the attackers sang "Singin' in the Rain" as "Singin' in the Rape".[38] Christiane Kubrick, the director's wife, has said that the family received threats and had protesters outside their home.[39]

The film was withdrawn from British release in 1973 by Warner Brothers at the request of Kubrick.[40] In response to allegations that the film was responsible for copycat violence Kubrick stated:

Small Man Big Horse

(I love The Last Jedi.)

It was Kubrick's choice apparently as he was concerned it might have influenced violence. https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/08/01/the-disappearance-of-a-clockwork-orange

Phil_A

I was curious about this as well, so I did some digging. Wikipedia references three incidents supposedly inspired by or sharing similarities with the film:

QuoteIn March 1972, during the trial of a 14-year-old male accused of the manslaughter of a classmate, the prosecutor referred to A Clockwork Orange, suggesting that the film had a macabre relevance to the case.[36]

The problem in this case seems to be entirely due to a culture of bullying and violence at the school in question, the film was only referenced in passing by the QC and otherwise had nothing to do with the murder.

QuoteThe film was also linked to the murder of an elderly vagrant by a 16-year-old boy in Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, who pleaded guilty after telling police that friends had told him of the film "and the beating up of an old boy like this one". Roger Gray QC, for the defence, told the court that "the link between this crime and sensational literature, particularly A Clockwork Orange, is established beyond reasonable doubt".[37]

There is more of a direct link in this case, but the perp in question didn't act as part of a gang and hadn't even seen the film or read the book. Just a horrible little cunt that kicked an old man to death for no reason.

QuoteThe press also blamed the film for a rape in which the attackers sang "Singin' in the Rain" as "Singin' in the Rape".[38]

I've come up blank on this one, there's no contemporary source provided and the information is just a link to an article that also doesn't have any sources.

Incidentally, Kubrick withdrew the film because he and his family received multiple death threats, not because of the supposed copycat incidents.

kaprisky

The Conqueror (1956). I've never seen it but it apparently was produced by Howard Hughes, starred John Wayne as Genghis Khan and not so much brought harm to the world as brought harm to its cast!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 15, 2018, 02:42:14 AM
Teenage mutant turtles craze lead to masses of baby turtles being purchased for children then flushed down the toilet.

That's a good thing, surely?  If all of those baby turtles hadn't been flushed down the toilet, then they would never have grown up in the sewer ooze and we wouldn't now be living in a world where hundreds of crime fighting ninja turtles roam the streets at night, protecting us from mask-clad villains.  On the other hand, there's a direct correlation between that the 50,000% increase in pedestrian fatalities, due to the overwhelming volume of Domino's Pizza delivery motorists, whizzing about at all hours of the day and night.  Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

Small Man Big Horse

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 15, 2018, 02:42:14 AM

Similarly, after Finding Nemo (2003) there was a rush on clownfishes that were eventually flushed down the toilet by rich spoilt brats who'd moved onto Harry Potter and owls.

Sin Agog

At least the turtles and fish were in their element.  Think about all the owls flushed down the toilet after Harry Potter came out.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 15, 2018, 09:01:08 PM
At least the turtles and fish were in their element.  Think about all the owls flushed down the toilet after Harry Potter came out.

So, that's what the incessant distressed hooting sound, emanating from my new flat's toilet bowl is all about.  I did wonder.

Should I flush some mice down there or something?

Sin Agog

No need.  They're still chowing down on the Stuart Little batch.

ZoyzaSorris

Never understood the idea of flushing unwanted aquatic animals down the toilet. Given it means certain death, why not just decapitate them and get it over with?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on December 16, 2018, 08:53:52 AM
Never understood the idea of flushing unwanted aquatic animals down the toilet. Given it means certain death, why not just decapitate them and get it over with?

You're wrong there, they end up in the sewer with all of the other flushed animals and toys and meet a lovely old man and have a great old time together. Which may sound like madness but that's the plot of Love & Peace and Sion Sono wouldn't lie to me, would he?

St_Eddie

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on December 16, 2018, 08:53:52 AM
Never understood the idea of flushing unwanted aquatic animals down the toilet. Given it means certain death, why...

Because people are unthinking twats.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 15, 2018, 02:27:54 AM
It plays pretty campy nowadays, but The Warriors inspired some really gnarly gang wars at the time of its release.

It was the other way round, wasn't it? The film is based on the existence of street gangs in NY.

There was some vandalism (and three deaths) involved with people coming or going to showings of the film at the time.

Walter Hill explains:

QuoteI think the reason why there were some violent incidents is really very simple: The movie was very popular with the street gangs, especially young men, a lot of whom had very strong feelings about each other. And suddenly they all went to the movies together! They looked across the aisle and there were the guys they didn't like, so there were a lot of incidents. And also, the movie itself is rambunctious — I would certainly say that.

The documentary 80 Blocks From Tiffany's (released in the same year as The Warriors) follows two such gangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn3lkp7IHQw

Blumf

Was it Animal House that brought a resurgence in college fraternities?

buzby

Quote from: bgmnts on December 15, 2018, 08:19:17 PM
The Crow got a man killed so that must count.
On that front The Twilight Zone is worse - John Landis got a man and two children killed in that.

NoSleep

Quote from: Blumf on December 16, 2018, 08:15:44 PM
Was it Animal House that brought a resurgence in college fraternities?

It was doughnut impressions.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: NoSleep on December 16, 2018, 07:53:19 PM
It was the other way round, wasn't it?

Indeed it was.  I've mentioned on here a few times how I always used to think The Warriors was a bit naff and lame, until I saw the doc Rubble Kings, which covers the history of New York gang culture, and yeah - The Warriors is pretty much exactly what happened.

Dex Sawash

NoSleep

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 17, 2018, 03:15:37 PM
Indeed it was.  I've mentioned on here a few times how I always used to think The Warriors was a bit naff and lame, until I saw the doc Rubble Kings, which covers the history of New York gang culture, and yeah - The Warriors is pretty much exactly what happened.

It was the same gang culture that Hip-Hop emerged from (actually as a means to redirect that energy away from the violence). Note that one of the Warriors is their graffiti artist.