Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies which have actively brought harm to the world

Started by Sin Agog, December 15, 2018, 02:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on December 19, 2018, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: Retinend on December 18, 2018, 07:47:32 PM
What is the truth about this film? How racist was it? It's still considered a classic, after all.

It's jaw-droppingly (and KKK-revivingly) racist.

The film opens with the words "The bringing of the African to America planted the first seed of disunion" and proceeds from there. The first scenes depict how idyllic and wonderful everything in the South is while "the African" is still securely enslaved by their white masters. The later parts of the film have been described in earlier posts.

I remember Paul Merton's series on the early days of Hollywood stated Birth Of A Nation wasn't even the great cinematic leap forward many have suggested it was, drawing as it does on ground broken in European cinema ahead of it.

Hey, Punk!

The Phantom Menace lead to the creation of the Plinkett reviews which lead to the rise of internet nerd critics who are incapable of approaching film on a metaphorical, thematic or aesthetic level.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on December 19, 2018, 01:28:49 PM
The Phantom Menace lead to the creation of the Plinkett reviews which lead to the rise of internet nerd critics who are incapable of approaching film on a metaphorical, thematic or aesthetic level.

That was the least of PM's crimes against humanity...

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 19, 2018, 01:32:47 PM
That was the least of PM's crimes against humanity...

I should have mentioned that it is a crime in and of itself.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 19, 2018, 12:17:52 PM
Since proven he was definitely not on set.  I can't remember which, but he was either doing pre-production stuff for Temple of Doom, or promotional stuff for ET.  I believe during the trial it was revealed that Spielberg had no idea how much Landis had changed the sequence compared to what was originally scripted and planned, and also had no idea that he was doing overtime shooting at night.  Spielberg wanted to pull out of the entire film and have his name removed, but he was contractually obliged to do it under any circumstances (save for his own demise).  But that's why his segment ended up being a quick and simple bit of fluff, so he could bow out of the production as quickly as possible.

A big issue as well I spose is that Landis was a pretty inexperienced director when it came to large scale action, what would the biggest set piece he'd done before that he? the mall car chase in Blues Brothers?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on December 19, 2018, 01:48:18 PM
A big issue as well I spose is that Landis was a pretty inexperienced director when it came to large scale action, what would the biggest set piece he'd done before that he? the mall car chase in Blues Brothers?

There are several, much bigger (and, on paper, much more dangerous) set pieces in The Blues Brothers besides the mall chase, and by the time of Twilight Zone he'd had plenty of experience as lead director, assistant director, and stunt man on several major big budget films with large scale action sequences (he apparently oversaw a lot of the action sequences in Kelly's Heroes after the original AD fell ill), and also plenty of experience shooting from helicopters, so inexperience isn't really an excuse, especially as Twilight Zone was actually a relatively small low budget production compared to even American Werewolf (if you take Landis' sequence alone and not as part of the whole TZ film).  More likely his ego took over - he'd had three back-to-back hits and was considered as a bit of a golden boy in Hollywood by then, to the point where many thought of him as almost equal to Spielberg, so he probably thought he could just do whatever he wanted and not worry too much about anything else. 

Ironically it didn't really harm his career, as the film turned a profit (albeit a small one, but it still made back three times its budget, and almost certainly thanks to what happened - no such thing as bad press, etc) and he was allowed to continue doing pretty much whatever he wanted.

For the record, much as I think Landis is at least mostly to blame for the accident and deaths of the actors, I approach his work the same way I do Woody Allen and Roman Polanski - they've all done questionable, even unspeakable things, in their personal lives, but they've also made some great films, some of them masterpieces.  Spies Like Us is, genuinely, one of my favourite comedy films of all time.  And as for his Amazon Women on the Moon opening segment - fuck me...(in a good way)

Phil_A

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on December 19, 2018, 01:28:49 PM

The Nostalgia Critic's to blame for creating that genre of sarcastic film nerds, surely. Cunt's been doing it for years before Plinkett.

What RLM did different was the long form video essay approach, which was at least novel until every other youtube shitlord started doing it.

St_Eddie

On the subject of Vic Morrow, I wonder whether this is true...

QuoteYears earlier Vic had had a premonition he was going to die in a helicopter crash.

I've heard this before but I can't find a source for it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 19, 2018, 02:55:25 PM
On the subject of Vic Morrow, I wonder whether this is true...

I've heard this before but I can't find a source for it.

Mentioned in one of the Faces/Traces of Death films, but where they sourced it from...

Blinder Data

Someone committed murder in the manner of a scene from Severance: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/8022946.stm

I wonder how it feels as the writer. Do you think you would feel responsible? Should you?

greenman

The reality is though people aren't going to be driven to murder by a film, there just going to be fishing for ideas of how to carry it out and without one film it would just be something else.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 19, 2018, 02:09:05 PM
For the record, much as I think Landis is at least mostly to blame for the accident and deaths of the actors, I approach his work the same way I do Woody Allen and Roman Polanski - they've all done questionable, even unspeakable things, in their personal lives, but they've also made some great films, some of them masterpieces.  Spies Like Us is, genuinely, one of my favourite comedy films of all time.  And as for his Amazon Women on the Moon opening segment - fuck me...(in a good way)

Serious thread diversion potential mentioning Woodly Allen and "unspeakable things" but that's best left to GD.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on December 19, 2018, 03:21:06 PM
Serious thread diversion potential mentioning Woodly Allen and "unspeakable things" but that's best left to GD.

Indeed - merely mentioned as a similar "controversial" figure in the movie world and to illustrate my point.  A point that not everyone will agree with, of course.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on December 19, 2018, 02:57:58 PM
So who's the bigger dick; Landis or Edmonds?

Well, arguably Landis given he was on set and directly orchestrated several things which made the accident more likely to happen.  If memory serves, Noel wasn't directly involved with his chopper incident (fnarr), it was one of the charities he runs which organised it and cocked up the passenger numbers.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on December 19, 2018, 01:48:18 PM

The Piccadilly Circus scene in An American Werewolf in London has some fairly dangerous stunt work in it, to the point where it almost seemed inevitable that Landis would be behind the camera during a fatality, at some point or another.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Phil_A on December 19, 2018, 02:19:57 PM
The Nostalgia Critic's to blame for creating that genre of sarcastic film nerds, surely. Cunt's been doing it for years before Plinkett.

What RLM did different was the long form video essay approach, which was at least novel until every other youtube shitlord started doing it.

Oh yes, for some reason he completely slipped my mind. At least the Redlettermedia crowd have a very natural sense of humour, he is specifically responsible for the absolutely dreadful sketches you see in reviews. How lazy the sketches are shows how little respect many people have for comedy, it isn't easy at all as this forum knows.

kalowski

Quote from: kaprisky on December 15, 2018, 03:12:14 PM
The Conqueror (1956). I've never seen it but it apparently was produced by Howard Hughes, starred John Wayne as Genghis Khan and not so much brought harm to the world as brought harm to its cast!
God, yes. This is a story that has always amazed me. Apparently 92 people involved in the film suffered from died of cancer, just under 50% of the cast and crew! No wonder Howard Hughes went loopy.