Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

REM

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, February 22, 2005, 11:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin

I've played frisbee with Buck, Mills and Berry, you know. About five minutes after I was acknowledged by Stipe and Morrissey.

Here's a couple of rare R.E.M. cover versions which are from the bootleg called "Covering Them".

http://orangefox.svs.com/rem/bootd1.html

Roadrunner

Eight Miles High

A Passing Turk Slipper

Ooh, tell us the story Gavin, what were they like? Thanks a load for those mp3s, I've always loved Roadrunner and it was great to hear REM play it.

Gavin

I followed R.E.M. around on their Green tour in 1989 when I should have been doing my exams. I arrived at Hammersmith Odeon in the mid-afternoon and thought I'd have a look around the back of the venue to see what was happening. As I walked up to the corner of the building I noticed a couple of men walking towards me and stepped back to let them through. Morrissey and Stipe off for a vegan burger or something.
As I walked around the building the other three were playing frisbee and one of them missed the disc and it nearly decapitated me. This was my introduction to the game. It lasted five minutes and I was shit.

I would tell you my Kim Deal anecdote but Neil would kill me.

I've got a couple more covers from that R.E.M. bootleg to share but my server is playing up. I'll try again later.

A Passing Turk Slipper

That's great Gavin, I would much rather have a game of frisbee with my favourite band than cue for an hour and get a record signed.
Not wishing to drag the discussion away from R.E.M. but I love REM's cover of Superman and I've never heard the original, is it any good or has anyone got an mp3 I could beg for? I think it's a great song but I've never heard anything by 'the Clique' (not the clique, obviously), anyone here a fan, what's their other stuff like?

Gavin

I think we crashed the server last time but here goes again.

California Dreaming

In The Year 2525

A Passing Turk Slipper

Thanks again Gavin, they're great.

mayer

Quote from: "El Hozzo"
Which other bands have managed that over 25 years? For me personally, the answer is no other bands, what about the rest of you, I imagine people might mention the Rolling Stone, The Cure ... ?

New Order.

qki

Well, I saw them on Friday and Saturday, and I genuinely think that, live, they get better every tour. The songs off Around The Sun work much better live than on the record - particularly "I Wanted to be Wrong". Stipe has incredible stage presence, to the extent that even a keen musician like myself who's interested in watching the instrumentalists can't keep from watching him 90% of the time (although he does look a twat with the makeup).

To give you an idea of the sort of stuff they're playing on this tour, here's the setlist from the Belfast gig:

I Took Your Name
Departure
Wake Up Bomb
Animal
Outsiders
So. Central rain
Hi Speed Train
Everybody Hurts
Electron Blue
Electrolite
Leaving New York
Orange Crush
I Wanted To Be Wrong
Final Straw
Imitation Of Life
The One I Love
Walk Unafraid
Losing My Religion

encore:
What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
Country Feedback
The Great Beyond
I've Been High
I'm Gonna DJ
Teenage Kicks
Man On The Moon

I'm Gonna DJ is a new one, very silly indeed and not much cop to be honest. And yes, that is the "Teenage Kicks", although it was sung by Scott McCaughey rather than Stipe, who I don't think knew the words (it was impromptu).
In Dublin the set was more or less the same, but featured "Undertow", "7 Chinese Bros.", "These Days" and "Exhuming McCarthy", but no "Country Feedback", "Teenage Kicks", "So. Central Rain", "Departure" or "Wake Up Bomb".

The Belfast gig was better, mostly because of the venue (The Odyssey, as opposed to the Point), and the crowd, who were brilliant and also considerate and polite to each other.

Mike was on top form both nights, although Peter looks a bit bored these days - he sort of hangs around in the background and doesn't do his scissor kicks or anything any more. Shame.

The three employees were superb as usual - new drummer Bill Rieflin is really quite special, Scott and Ken are both consummate musicians and charismatic too. We got talking to Scott in the Crown Liquor House in Belfast, and he was a thoroughly nice bloke. His other band, the Minus Five, are touring this summer in the UK, and I urge you all to check them out.

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"wasn't it Athens where all the photos for New Adventures in HiFi were from?

All the photos from Murmur are from Athens. The one on the front is of kudzu, an ivy-type weed that was imported to Georgia from Japan and is slowly taking over the state. The one on the back is a trellis railway bridge, which is still there although part of it was demolished a few years ago. A campaign was set up to save it by REM fans, and for the moment they've succeeded.

A Passing Turk Slipper

That sounds great qki. Now I'm determinded that I will see them next time.

alan strang

Cheers Gavin - not heard those before.

Here's another REM cover - of John Prine's 'Hello In There' - with Stipe and Billy Bragg sharing vocals (presumably from one of the Borderline 'Bingo Hand Job' shows in 1991).

http://rapidshare.de/files/761339/28_Hello_in_there.mp3.html

A lovelier four minutes you'll find it difficult to find.

"Ah, now y'got it..!"

A Passing Turk Slipper

Cheers Alan. I wish I had something as good as that (or good full stop) to upload.