Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:30:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post-Ironic Crowdsourced Youtube Shrek Remake

Started by Chriddof, December 15, 2018, 12:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriddof

If you needed any further proof that 21st Century pop culture is a feeble waste of time, then here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM70TROZQsI

QuoteTheYasdonaught
4 days ago (edited)
I feel like this is a culmination of 30 years of internet culture, it's all coming to a head.

You have people from 4chan,  independent animators, kids having fun in the backyard. The fact that you got 200 people to participate and add something to this shows the power of a shared experience online.

Like an onion, the humor in this is covered in so many layers of sarcasm it's hard to find the epicenter of it. True beauty.

Actually, mate - I think you'll find it's just as terrible and awful as the thing it's joking about. As it happens, these same people who organised it also run some sort of ironic-but-not-really-but-actually-really-ironic festival / convention based around Shrek. An actual festival! Am I too old, or does Youtube need to be wiped the fuck out?

I found out about this through YourMovieSucks, who gave it a good review. Fucking hell.

BritishHobo

It shows the power of a load of boring fuckers with no imagination all parroting other people's jokes.

Retinend

Trying to interpret it as a coherent piece of art - there are some jarringly dramatic shifts in tone, from seemingly reverent to seemingly contemptuous, which make it hard to judge. But one doesn't have to interpret it this way - i.e. as if it had any unifying intention behind it, whether as homage or satire or as a "statement." It's just a bunch of amateurs getting together and promoting each other: the premise is just latching onto an organic YouTube meme popular amongst aspiring video editors who are mucking around with editing software. The creators are either youtubers (so not very creative) or animators. A lot of the animation is, from the point of view of an animator, explicable as "experimental" - i.e. deliberately crap, but in its own way exploring the limit of depiction. I think this is why the animated sections seem more contemptuous of the source material... but this is really only the tendency of animators to prefer the grotesque to the beautiful.

AsparagusTrevor

Is this anything to do with the extremely similar Robocop thing from a few years ago, or just a coincidence/rip-off/homage?

olliebean

Wasn't there a Star Wars one as well a while back?

Chriddof

Quote from: Retinend on December 15, 2018, 07:13:40 PM
Trying to interpret it as a coherent piece of art - there are some jarringly dramatic shifts in tone, from seemingly reverent to seemingly contemptuous, which make it hard to judge. But one doesn't have to interpret it this way - i.e. as if it had any unifying intention behind it, whether as homage or satire or as a "statement." It's just a bunch of amateurs getting together and promoting each other: the premise is just latching onto an organic YouTube meme popular amongst aspiring video editors who are mucking around with editing software. The creators are either youtubers (so not very creative) or animators. A lot of the animation is, from the point of view of an animator, explicable as "experimental" - i.e. deliberately crap, but in its own way exploring the limit of depiction. I think this is why the animated sections seem more contemptuous of the source material... but this is really only the tendency of animators to prefer the grotesque to the beautiful.

I understand all that, but I think one thing that really turns me off about it is the involvement of some of the people they've got to contribute. One section was made by the infamous ChrisChan, who is a mentally ill person with a history of troublesome behaviour around whom an entire subculture of people have congregated around, who just spend years of their life bullying her/him. (There are some rundowns of the whole saga in various places on the net, of which both the events depicted and the general tone they tend to be written in will make you resoundingly depressed.) Another section is by the Youtuber music reviewer Antony Fantano, who has had some extremely suspect dealings with alt-right types. (Not to mention the "criticism" in his videos isn't exactly at the level of Taylor Parkes or whoever, but that's by the by.)

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on December 15, 2018, 08:48:16 PM
Is this anything to do with the extremely similar Robocop thing from a few years ago, or just a coincidence/rip-off/homage?

Quote from: olliebean on December 15, 2018, 08:55:03 PM
Wasn't there a Star Wars one as well a while back?

The Robocop one was put together by someone called David Seger, who appears to have no connection with this thing. (Turns out he also made a Footloose remake using the same idea in 2011.) The Star Wars remake was organised by Casey Pugh in 2009, with it being released the following year. Again, he appears to have no connection to this.

PlanktonSideburns

It's all right,  about as good as one of them avengers films,  it passed the time well enough, some berks seemed to be having a nice time