Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:11:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas Wastage & Apocalypse Vibe

Started by hamfist, December 16, 2018, 02:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamfist

Been a funny couple of days.

Yesterday Hamfrau tried to get home on the bus but it was gridlocked, nothing moving.

Today I was in the supermarket when the lights started flickering, cash desks and pos machines went down - cash only. Everyone hit the atms, but they went down too.

Tonight had a drink in town, on the way out found a guy lying in the street, off his tits but complaining of chest pains, so looked after him and called the ambulance.

Then the usual taxi rank was police taped off due to a serious assault.

Last 48h has felt really apocalyptic. do you feel it too ? really feels to me like the sinews are snapoing, that this is the beast breathing its last.

Large Noise

Been noticing this in Glasgow city centre. The area around central station feels like a Paul Verhoeven set.

And yeah, I'm generally getting the vibe that the world's having a closing down sale.

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Snowball fights and dancing in the square here in Cluj-Napoca.

Got to keep spirits up before the end

Icehaven

No but then I've been avoiding the city centre.

PlanktonSideburns

Levenshulme, Manchester seems to be at the usuall stable level of apocalypse - all within tolerance.

Just of to do some painting in hale, will report back on its levels of apocalypctitude when I get in. Last time I was there I was called a fucking slow cunt for not crossing the road properly by a Gary landlord in a luxury all terrain vehicle, so if I get out at the station to a burnt out wasteland I'd feel no pain

PlanktonSideburns

buttgammon

Dublin's been even more mad than usual the last few days. The last two things I saw before leaving for the airport yesterday were a drooling smackhead having an incoherent phone conversation and nearly falling out of his seat on the tram, and a teenage shoplifter taking a swing at a shopkeeper.

Flouncer

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 16, 2018, 10:06:13 AM
Alas, hale continues unmolested

I was in Hale last month - from what I saw everybody's too middle class to be kicking off around there. I've never seen so many 4x4s and Porshces in my life.

Cuellar

It's feeling apocalyptic round here - mad threads everywhere innit!

Mister Six

New York City pretty much the same as usual. But the US has been ready to collapse into a Mad-Max-esque survival of the fittest wasteland since long before I got here, so that might not mean much. To some extent the city (and, broadly, the state) are usually insulated from the worst apocalyptic visions of the libertarian death cult that is the GOP, but with climate change submerging the south end of Manhattan the other year and the hateful black monolith of Trump Tower squatting on Fifth Avenue like some ghastly momento mori for sanity and reason, there's definitely a vibe like the bubble has been pierced.

It's going to get worse,  I think. Trump and Putin re-igniting the US-Russia arms race; trading pointing towards another credit crunch recession; tension in the South China Sea; sounds of separatism from Taipei and war from Beijing; the ongoing destruction of the climate and the threat of mass migration as the seas rise; Doctor Who being shit - it feels like a constant existential barrage.

oooft

Nostradamus's prediction according to researcher Alessandro Bruno...

Quote"Beyond the individual Nostradamus future predictions 2018, there is a common theme.
"Negative energy will intensify and accelerate with unprecedented intensity and speed."

The most chilling prediction for 2018 is from Nostradamus' book Les Propheties.

It includes a quatrain that some have interpreted as describing the start of the third world war.
Nostradamus said:
Quote"The big war will start in France and all Europe will be attacked, it will be long and terrifying for everyone and then finally there will be peace but only a few will enjoy it.
"A war will start between the two great world powers and it will last for a period of 27 years."

Some commentators have predicted China, Russia and North Korea will unite to take on the US.

Ah well, that's that then.

garnish

Odd for a man who lived in the 15th century to predict a series of long wars involving his home nation and other European countries.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: oooft on December 16, 2018, 04:00:38 PM
Some commentators have predicted China, Russia and North Korea will unite to take on the US.

Professor Emeritus Archie Hyperbole of the University of Gobshite.

thenoise

It's felt like that for years round here.

Quote from: buttgammon on December 16, 2018, 10:45:29 AM
Dublin's been even more mad than usual the last few days. The last two things I saw before leaving for the airport yesterday were a drooling smackhead having an incoherent phone conversation and nearly falling out of his seat on the tram, and a teenage shoplifter taking a swing at a shopkeeper.
Sounds "usual" to me.