Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pointer Sisters - Automatic really sounds like Prince, doesn't it?

Started by Twed, December 16, 2018, 03:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

In my head it's a Prince song.

And then there's Prince ripping it off in 2010, just to make everything more confusing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O3522Ejw8Q

kalowski

Are you sure you're not thinking of Automatic? The Prince track from his 1982 album, 1999.
https://youtu.be/rYboMkLluKo

ajsmith2

Lyrically it's a prediction of the Singularity.

All I can manage to push from my lips
Is a stream of absurdities
Every word I intended to speak
Winds up locked in the circuitry
No way to control it
It's totally automatic

buzby

They did record a cover of I Feel For You before Chaka Khan - Prince sent it to them for their 1982 album So Excited (he had originally written it for Patrice Rushen, but she rejected it so he included it on his own album).

On a tangential note, one of the co-writers of Automatic also went on to co-wrire and co-produce Novocaine For The Soul with Mr. E.

Sebastian Cobb

Only one of them is an original sister these days, the other two are her daughter and grandaughter.

Lemming

Is it really Ruth Pointer doing the super deep bit? It's one of the best vocal things in any song ever but I can't tell if it's legitimately her voice with no effects. Looked for a live version to see if she replicates it but alas, all are inconclusive.

buzby

Quote from: Lemming on December 16, 2018, 09:58:25 PM
Is it really Ruth Pointer doing the super deep bit? It's one of the best vocal things in any song ever but I can't tell if it's legitimately her voice with no effects. Looked for a live version to see if she replicates it but alas, all are inconclusive.
Yes it was her singing it - she is a contralto, the lowest female voice type, equivalent to a male counter-tenor.. There's a live video of her singing it from this year where it's certainly her singing the deep 'Automatic' part in the choruses. It's also evident on this video of her singing the national anthem at a baseball game.

Lemming

That is excellent! It's one of the coolest parts of any song I can think of.

Twed

non capisco

I love this song but after seeing the relevant TOTP repeat I can't hear it without thinking of those two fan dancers that looked like your drunk uncle and his mate.