Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:32:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trifle

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 16, 2018, 08:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Trifles really nice, isn't it ? Nice big bowl of trifle, lovely fresh whipped cream  with chocolate flakes in it, and custard and jelly, and that. Lovely stuff. I can't eat trifle any more, cos of the Type 2 Diabetes thing, but, Gosh, what a splendid thing trifle is.
You all like trifle, don't you?  Yes, I'm sure you all do.

mothman

Probably opening a vast forum-destroying schism here, but I applaud the presence of jelly as the bottom layer in trifles. With booze-soaked champagne biscuits in. Yet, there are some who think it should be custard only. These unmutuals must be sent for re-education.

Pijlstaart

Don't think it has enough substance to it, no heft, no gadumph. It's not intrinsically bad, it just occupies a space that could be filled with something good. I'd like something different.

mothman

A... strudel, maybe?

Emma Raducanu

I've always thought the best dessert to be a fruit crumble with vanilla ice cream. Can be any fruit really; apple, rhubarb, gooseberry, plum.. Whatever, with the crumble part baked separately. Of course a decent trifle makes a centerpiece for a Christmas Day dessert but on a rainy winter's day, a visit to a good pub for food and crumble cannot be beat for me.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What kind of pub serves fucking crumble? Quite frankly, any pub where crumble can be bought is a cunt.

mothman

I don't have a problem with a pub serving a nice homemade crumble. The issue I have is the apple is always undercooked and they seem to universally insist on putting oats in their crumble mix.

popcorn

Quote from: mothman on December 16, 2018, 08:54:16 AM
Probably opening a vast forum-destroying schism here, but I applaud the presence of jelly as the bottom layer in trifles. With booze-soaked champagne biscuits in. Yet, there are some who think it should be custard only. These unmutuals must be sent for re-education.

No you should not have jelly in a trifle. It is common.

mothman

Quote from: popcorn on December 16, 2018, 12:39:29 PM
No you should not have jelly in a trifle. It is common.

Car park.

popcorn

Quote from: mothman on December 16, 2018, 12:53:27 PM
Car park.

I suppose that's what you use as a lavatory. You unwashed oink.

PlanktonSideburns

Oats in a crumble?

FAAAAAARK ORRRRF

I want flower, lard, and the DARKEST FUKIN sugar known to man mixed into an incredible wet dust on top of my boiled frit thank you VERY MUCH PAL

Buelligan

Trifle does not contain jelly.  Crumble does not contain lard.  These are meat products anyway.  What sort of delicious pudding is made from dead bodies, you fucking freaks.

MuteBanana

Strudel over Crumble any day.

Trifle? Yeah. Hundreds and Thousands. Tinned raspberries in the jelly. Sponge fingers. Custard. Whipped cream. What else is in it? Yeah thats the problem with trifle, you need an entire one to yourself.

Cuellar

Just eat the sponge fingers straight from the packet. Much better.

Buelligan

Hundreds and thousands is really just coloured sand (bad, but not as bad as those awful ball bearings people used to put on cakes and trifles in Britain).

popcorn

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 16, 2018, 08:23:47 PM
Trifle? Yeah. Hundreds and Thousands. Tinned raspberries in the jelly.

Vulgar, vulgar, vulgar.

im barry bethel

Best thing about visiting East Grinstead hospital was the restaurant trifle, at 20p a bowl you could happily spunk a quid on the league of friends

pancreas

Basically, what you do is you give three diabetic farm animals degenerative illnesses and get them to vomit one after another into a bowl. Then you have trifle.

Cuntbeaks

It just occurred to me that the word TRIfle indicates that there is three ingredients.

pancreas

Coincidence, apparently:

Middle English (also denoting an idle story told to deceive or amuse): from Old French trufle, by-form of trufe 'deceit', of unknown origin. The verb derives from Old French truffler 'mock, deceive'.

Kryton

I quite like trifle. It's a multi-layered treat that gets more interesting and tasty on ever layer. Every spoon returned to your mouth contains something new. A bit of sponge this time eh? A wibble of jelly and an oomf of cream, maybe a dozen or so hundreds and thousands. Just to take the edge off the sponge.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 16, 2018, 08:12:51 AMLovely stuff. I can't eat trifle any more, cos of the Type 2 Diabetes thing

Pretty sure people with Type 2 Diabetes can still eat trifle as long as they eat a Mars bar immediately afterwards.

Bennett Brauer

Just remembered that Two Ronnies news item.

A lorry carrying jelly has just collided with a lorry containing custard. Police say they're looking into it!

Buelligan

Quote from: pancreas on December 17, 2018, 12:29:40 AM
Coincidence, apparently:

Middle English (also denoting an idle story told to deceive or amuse): from Old French trufle, by-form of trufe 'deceit', of unknown origin. The verb derives from Old French truffler 'mock, deceive'.

Trufe story.

Bobtoo

Quote from: Buelligan on December 16, 2018, 09:34:22 PM
those awful ball bearings people used to put on cakes and trifles in Britain

Still do. Even more so now that cakes, and especially cupcakes, have to be both inedible and visually striking.

thenoise

Ugh, so glad that we are over peak cupcake. Some generic human I used to work with brought in homemade bacon cupcakes, thus combining two of the silliest fads of the 00s in one foul creation. I hope she has seen the error of her ways.